Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op Pain Control? IV Tylenol? Not convinced.

My surgeon said I will be getting IV Acetaminophen(Ofirmev). My friend who is an anesthesiologist said it is very effective but hell...he didn't have gastric surgery. I want to know from experience. Who has had it and does it really work... this "IV Tylenol"?? Thanks is advance.

I didn't use any pain meds post op. So, Tylenol should work. Lol

I'm a big baby when it comes to pain so I had a discussion with my surgeon about this, even though my surgery isn't until March. He said he typically sends patients home on Vicodin; however, if that particualr medicine seems either too weak or too strong you just have to call the office and they will happily change your meds. He said he wants his patients to be comfortable because excessive pain slows the healing process. So don't worry too much. If that particular medicine isn't effective, I'm sure they will change it for you.

I wouldn't waste an IV on Tylenol. I had the good stuff (morphine) whether I needed it or not. Relaxed me and my pain was zero. They kept asking me to try Lortab, Tramadol, blah blah blah. I'd just keep telling 'em the other stuff doesn't work on me and the pain was a 6-8 and they'd kept giving me the morphine. Yay. Why be in any pain at all.

Everyone handles pain differently, but I was fine with the over the counter liquid tylenol (adult strength) after the first day. I only took 2 of the oxycodone they prescribed. In the hospital, they had me on some narcotic pain meds and then later on oxy via pill. That was only one night. For me, the pain was very minimal unless I twisted the wrong way. There was no lingering or aching pain, just the sharp pain if moved the wrong way.

Well, I said the same thing at first because I have been a nurse for over 14 years and never heard of IV Tylenol. Apparently it is new and according to a few of my anesthesia friends...they swear by it. It is super expensive too. I am hoping I do not need any meds. I want to feel well enough to walk and decompress and get my fluids and go home. Praying all goes well so I can get back to my family :)

Oh I somehow missed the "IV" portion of that. I thought you meant going home meds. Apparently I get morphine in the hospital. But again, if you're in pain, tell the nurse. They do NOT want you to be in pain. As a matter of fact, after I had a c-section with my second child, the nurse kept telling me I couldn't have any more Vicodin even though I was crying in pain. When the doctor came in again he was PISSED that no one had called him. He said that he wanted my pain under control and that it is harder to manage once it's to the point that you are crying. He went and got a different nurse, had them inject my IV with Demerol and told me I wouldn't be seeing the original nurse for the duration of my visit. I would be suprised if any of his other patients saw her either.

Sorry I kind of veered off topic. My point...if you are in pain, let someone know.

I found it very effective and I am pain sensitive. I had mine in between doses of heavier medications. I also used dissolving tylenol tablets( for kids ) when I needed to drive and could not use the lortab. I liked the Iv Tylenol.

I had a morphine pump at the hospital and liquid hydrocodone at home.

I had a morphine pump in the hospital and went home with Hydrocodone pills. I took them for two days post op and stopped.

I've been a registered nurse for 30+ years, and I've never heard of IV Tylenol either. There's always something new coming down the pike!

We had 1 dose of pain med at home after 1 night in hospital. Pain was minimal. Just rested a couple days and was shopping the 4th day after surgery, at the grocery store. I am sure if you have pain your doctor will give you something that works, yell very loudly! I do not like pain. Best of luck to you!

I had a dilata pump, and it made me sooooo sick. I refused medicine after a few hours. Eventually they talked me into tylenol 3 and I did fine as long as I stayed on top of it.

I don't know what was in the IV. But other than what was in the IV, I took no pain medication. Had minimal (very) pain.