Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass rny long term

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if any of you have had this surgery done more than 10 years ago and if you could let me know how the long term affects are? I spoke to my doctor about this but he told me that there are not very many study follow ups on post op patients of more than 10-15 years. I'm curious because I am having this surgery done in April and my parents and I are more worried about the long term effects such as weaker bone or increase arthritis) as well as fighting infections if one was to get seriously sick do gastric bypass patients have the same strength ability to fight these infections ?? Sorry for such a serious thread I'm just 20 years old and I have so many thoughts about this procedure before I have it on April. Thank you

Hi, I had my surgery done in 1980 (hard to believe it was so many years ago! ). I can hopefully answer lots of questions for you. I live in Philadelphia, and had my surgery was done here at a very high rated hospital.Get back to me and let's talk. Hope to here from you soon

Hi, I had my surgery done in 1980 (hard to believe it was so many years ago! ). I can hopefully answer lots of questions for you. I live in Philadelphia, and had my surgery was done here at a very high rated hospital.Get back to me and let's talk. Hope to here from you soon

Hi !! thank you for responding to my inquiry I wanted so much to touch base with someone who had the surgery for a while. I am 21 and about to undergo the procedure but was uneasy about the long term effects on my body down the road. My concerns are and I will list them...

1. How are you feeling after all these years?

2. Have you any regrets about having this done?

3. Has the surgery and lack of nutrients affected your bones or health negatively long term?

4. If you had children, did it effect your ability to go full term? Were you able to provide enough nutrients to the baby?

5. Was getting sick with things like the flu harder to get over?

6. Did you have PCOS before? If so, did the surgery cure that?

Did you suffer with more stomach issues due to the surgery?

7. Did you go through menopause? If so, was it normal?

I know its a lot of questions and your probably thinking what did I get myself into but these are just some of the concerns I have at this point and the answers you give me Will be so much help. I know I will have more as my procedure comes closer but for now I am so very grateful for your help!

Hi !! thank you for responding to my inquiry I wanted so much to touch base with someone who had the surgery for a while. I am 21 and about to undergo the procedure but was uneasy about the long term effects on my body down the road. My concerns are and I will list them...

1. How are you feeling after all these years?

2. Have you any regrets about having this done?

3. Has the surgery and lack of nutrients affected your bones or health negatively long term?

4. If you had children, did it effect your ability to go full term? Were you able to provide enough nutrients to the baby?

5. Was getting sick with things like the flu harder to get over?

6. Did you have PCOS before? If so, did the surgery cure that?

Did you suffer with more stomach issues due to the surgery?

7. Did you go through menopause? If so, was it normal?

I know its a lot of questions and your probably thinking what did I get myself into but these are just some of the concerns I have at this point and the answers you give me Will be so much help. I know I will have more as my procedure comes closer but for now I am so very grateful for your help!

I'm just 8 months out but these are excellent questions and I'm very curious too about the long term. I never really thought about this beforehand. Great thread!

Out of curiosity I'm interested in the answers to your questions too. At 54 I'm not too concerned about 'long term', but I certainly would be if I were even ten years younger. If I were your age finding out about the long term effects would be my number one priority. I hope you get some helpful answers. I'm sure it would be helpful to other young people when making their own decision about weight loss surgery. :-)

I have joined this board to essentially find out the same thing. Does anyone have answers to this?

I would love to know the answers to these questions as well :)

I MOVED INTO A NEW HOUSE LAST MONTH AND HAVE BEEN VERY BUSY GETTING SETTLED IN. I WILL TRY TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS IN THE NEXT WEEK. THANKS, LYNNE

I MOVED INTO A NEW HOUSE LAST MONTH AND HAVE BEEN VERY BUSY GETTING SETTLED IN. I WILL TRY TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS IN THE NEXT WEEK. THANKS, LYNNE

So kind. I think there are a lot of us eager to hear. And congrats on the new home.

Would love to hear answers to this as well!

They are great questions! I am 46 and definitely not having another child (dear husband is 61 and snipped, lol!) but do wonder about the others. Anyway, while these are definitely worth knowing, even more important is the fact that long term, remaining morbidly obese is going to have a severe impact on your health and quality of life. Although I have been obese for about 10 years, I have remained in good physical condition for up until the last six. The pain from carrying around this weight - my knees, back and the plantar fasciitis is unbearable!! Not being able to do everything I want to is horrible. If I suffer from weakened bones when I'm 30 years old I will gladly trade that for a better quality of life and less pain in the meantime. I hope to hear within a month whether my insurance co. will approve me. I have been going through the classes and losing my required 8% since January.

Best wishes everyone

Chrystine