Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

kidney stones and protein

Views
Started by ivonne619, Apr 05, 2013 7:49 AM
16 replies to this topic
16 replies to this topic

ivonne619

Advanced Member

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
Posted April 5, 2013 - 7:49 AM

Can a person get kidney stones due to having to much protein? I have pain in my Right lower back side. It comes and goes. I do suffers from sciatica, but have not have not had an episode for 2 years. Also, i drink about 100 gm of protein and eat right. I only drink about 4 cups of water a day. Help!!

soocalchic

• Surgeon: Miguel Burch
  • Surgery Date: Nov 2012
  • Starting Weight: 315 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 124 lbs
  • Current Weight: 191 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 185 lbs
  • BMI: 29
Posted April 5, 2013 - 8:04 AM

Sounds like you need to up your water 4 cups isn't enough

ivonne619

Advanced Member

Posted April 5, 2013 - 8:16 AM

I think you are completely right

motochic

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgery Date: Feb 2012
  • Starting Weight: 212 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 71 lbs
  • Current Weight: 141 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 145 lbs
  • BMI: 24.2
Posted April 5, 2013 - 8:24 AM

Can a person get kidney stones due to having to much protein? I have pain in my Right lower back side. It comes and goes. I do suffers from sciatica, but have not have not had an episode for 2 years. Also, i drink about 100 gm of protein and eat right. I only drink about 4 cups of water a day. Help!!

to much protein, salt, calcium can cause kidney stones, but being dehydrated is one the the biggest causes of kidney stones, it causes uric asid . u need at least 8 8oz glasses water a day.. i had kidney stones before my sleeve, 1 still hasnt passed, but i have not gotten any new stones since my sleeve. i do not take a calcuim pill, i take a really good multi vit. and only once a day. im a female, so i get about 60-80 grams of protien a day

also i do get pain in the same spot were the stone is the pain comes and goes, dr said nothing can be done until the stone leaves my kidney

ivonne619

Advanced Member

Posted April 5, 2013 - 8:38 AM

I will only drink water from now on. Thanks

TES

TES

• Surgery Date: Feb 2013
Posted April 5, 2013 - 8:43 AM

I've been struggling with post-op kidney stones (all passed in my urine so far) and here is what my medical team said/recommended:

* it's important to eat a low oxalate diet (you can google this)
* you have to output at least 64 oz of water/day, so that means you have to drink a lot more than that--I try for 100-120 oz when I can

I don't think that the extra protein in and of itself can cause kidney stones. Be sure to go to the ER if you have severe pain, especially with chills or a fever.

mark!

Aspiring Evangelist

• Surgeon: David Kim
  • Surgery Date: Feb 2013
  • Starting Weight: 464 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 158 lbs
  • Current Weight: 306 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 230 lbs
  • BMI: 40.4
Posted April 5, 2013 - 8:43 AM

There is an extremely unlikely chance that you have taken in enough protein to actually have any negative effects on your kidney function. Too many people believe things that simply are not true, and start spreading junk information regarding them. You're drinking 4 cups of water a day, That's 32 US ounces, I believe the common ground is 64 ounces of water a day for a sedentary lifestyle. Yes, there have been people with diminished kidney function, who had a pre existing condition who relate protein to kidney issues, however there is very limited scientific data supporting the two are related. 100g of protein is nothing to be concerned about, lack of water however, is like walking on a tight rope across the atlantic.

ivonne619

Advanced Member

Posted April 5, 2013 - 8:48 AM

Mark, thank you very much. Yoh always give great advice. I feel better and will up the water. Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Topics with No Reply