Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Ongoing Story :)

Hey guys, I'm Becky and I'm new here. I have been stalking the forums for a couple days and decided to start a post. I'll be keeping an updated log of my progress with pictures, weight, and measurements so be sure to check back!

Here's my story:

I'm 19 and have been morbidly obese since middle school. I was extremely athletic when I was young, gymnastics and competitive cheer along with riding horses since I was 5. I was always bigger than other kids but mostly it was muscle. My parents got divorced when I was 8 and it ripped my world apart, I had issues with depression and ended up going on Zyprexa which is now I believe off the market due to the insane weight gain. I gained 100 lbs over 4 months, it was CRAZY! I stopped cheering shortly after because I was too heavy to be wearing a skimpy uniform. So, that just made me gain more weight and lose muscle. I was heavy in high school and it just kept getting worse. I have dieted and can get down to 200 lbs but it all comes right back when you stop the diet. My weight really holds me back emotionally and I'm starting to get high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, etc. I'm now in college to get my BSN (nursing school) and am in a sorority. I have been with my boyfriend for over a year and he is my other half, we live together and are really happy. He is also overweight and is trying dieting, he supports me 100% and is right there cheering me on with every step I take. I'm extremely lucky to have him with me and he promises to take good care of me after I get out of surgery. My mom is also a huge part of my life and support system, she is my best friend and my own personal cheerleader. Between her and Matt, I'll be in great hands post-op. So, my life pretty much rocks and losing weight would just be the icing on the cake so I can't wait until I slim back down! Maybe, I could even cheer in college...that would be a dream come true!

So far my journey has been wonderful, I became interested in the sleeve after my most recent weight loss fail and am at my highest weight ever! I started calling around early November looking for a surgeon who could get me in before the end of the year. I found Dr. Ricks in St. Louis and his nurses said it'd be tight but was possible. I went in the next week for my first appointment and good goly gosh is he just the sweetest guy you will ever meet. He's got a bedside manner that rivals any doctor I've ever worked with, I instantly felt comforted. We chatted for about an hour and he answered all of my questions, he set up some tests for the next week and off I went. I went in for testing and to meet with the nutritionist which all went smooth as can be and then I awaited a call letting me know about insurance. After 2 weeks, I got that magical call letting me know that I'm approved for surgery! We set up a date, December 19th which is the week after finals. I go in for my nutrition class and my blood work Monday then surgery the next week. Luckily I'm only on clears and shakes for 3 days prior to surgery...so no dying of hunger for weeks like others have to endure!

Starting weight: 260

Starting measurements:

Arm: 18”

Forearm: 12.5”

Hips: 54.5”

Waist: 44”

Bust: 48.5”

Thigh” 30”

Calf: 17.5”

Shoulders: 52”

Neck: 16”

Here are my before pictures:

Before Sleeve Front

Before Sleeve Side

Before Sleeve Back

I'll be sure to keep you guys updated as the days fly by!

Good Luck! Dec 19th is a good date (my birthday!) Glad you were able to find a doctor you feel comfortable with. Good to hear you have a great support system, that will really help you succeed!

Best of luck to you! That's awesome that the timing worked out so well with finals! :) Please do keep us posted.

Seems unheard of for insurance to get you approved so quickly. Read that: without requiring 3-6 months of nutrition and/or a longer history of comorbidities.

Good luck to you on your surgery.

Seems unheard of for insurance to get you approved so quickly. Read that: without requiring 3-6 months of nutrition and/or a longer history of comorbidities.

Good luck to you on your surgery.

Well, I had 8 months of history on Medifast that was monitored by my physician and have had cholesterol problems for a while and blood pressure problems for a few months.

But I agree, the insurance did accept it quickly which just worked out nicely for me.

Wow we are in the same boat surgery date 12/19. In college for BA in healthcare administration. So finals now and surgery a week out from finals. So happy for you! Best wishes!!!!

Wow we are in the same boat surgery date 12/19. In college for BA in healthcare administration. So finals now and surgery a week out from finals. So happy for you! Best wishes!!!!

I updated the original post with pictures, starting weight, and starting measurements.

CONGRATULATIONS! You are a wise woman getting in front of a weight problem! Even better that your insurance was so quick to approve you!

Please share your story! My insurance has denied me and that is OK....I'm planning a trip to Tijuana in February!

All the best to you!

Hey guys' date=' I'm Becky and I'm new here. I have been stalking the forums for a couple days and decided to start a post. I'll be keeping an updated log of my progress with pictures, weight, and measurements so be sure to check back!

Here's my story:

I'm 19 and have been morbidly obese since middle school. I was extremely athletic when I was young, gymnastics and competitive cheer along with riding horses since I was 5. I was always bigger than other kids but mostly it was muscle. My parents got divorced when I was 8 and it ripped my world apart, I had issues with depression and ended up going on Zyprexa which is now I believe off the market due to the insane weight gain. I gained 100 lbs over 4 months, it was CRAZY! I stopped cheering shortly after because I was too heavy to be wearing a skimpy uniform. So, that just made me gain more weight and lose muscle. I was heavy in high school and it just kept getting worse. I have dieted and can get down to 200 lbs but it all comes right back when you stop the diet. My weight really holds me back emotionally and I'm starting to get high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, etc. I'm now in college to get my BSN (nursing school) and am in a sorority. I have been with my boyfriend for over a year and he is my other half, we live together and are really happy. He is also overweight and is trying dieting, he supports me 100% and is right there cheering me on with every step I take. I'm extremely lucky to have him with me and he promises to take good care of me after I get out of surgery. My mom is also a huge part of my life and support system, she is my best friend and my own personal cheerleader. Between her and Matt, I'll be in great hands post-op. So, my life pretty much rocks and losing weight would just be the icing on the cake so I can't wait until I slim back down! Maybe, I could even cheer in college...that would be a dream come true!

So far my journey has been wonderful, I became interested in the sleeve after my most recent weight loss fail and am at my highest weight ever! I started calling around early November looking for a surgeon who could get me in before the end of the year. I found Dr. Ricks in St. Louis and his nurses said it'd be tight but was possible. I went in the next week for my first appointment and good goly gosh is he just the sweetest guy you will ever meet. He's got a bedside manner that rivals any doctor I've ever worked with, I instantly felt comforted. We chatted for about an hour and he answered all of my questions, he set up some tests for the next week and off I went. I went in for testing and to meet with the nutritionist which all went smooth as can be and then I awaited a call letting me know about insurance. After 2 weeks, I got that magical call letting me know that I'm approved for surgery! We set up a date, December 19th which is the week after finals. I go in for my nutrition class and my blood work Monday then surgery the next week. Luckily I'm only on clears and shakes for 3 days prior to surgery...so no dying of hunger for weeks like others have to endure!

Starting weight: 260

Starting measurements:

Arm: 18”

Forearm: 12.5”

Hips: 54.5”

Waist: 44”

Bust: 48.5”

Thigh” 30”

Calf: 17.5”

Shoulders: 52”

Neck: 16”

Here are my before pictures:

Before Sleeve Front

Before Sleeve Side

Before Sleeve Back

I'll be sure to keep you guys updated as the days fly by!

Becky, you sound like you have it all together. I like your stat listing. How tall are you? I take Paxil which also causes weight gain so I know how you feel. My son is 22 and he is having the sleeve with me this month also. Congrats and good luck.

Becky, you sound like you have it all together. I like your stat listing. How tall are you? I take Paxil which also causes weight gain so I know how you feel. My son is 22 and he is having the sleeve with me this month also. Congrats and good luck.

I'm 5'3. Thank you, I'm trying to make sure that I'm prepared. I'm starting to get anxious though, it's hard to imagine another week of waiting but I'm sure I'll get through! Good luck to you and your son with your surgery!!

Becky thank you for sharing your story. I wish you the best with your surgery and to your weight loss success!! You will do this! Hip, hip hoorah!!

Alright, today was my nutrition class...very helpful! She went over a lot of things that I already knew but talked about supplements which I didn't know much about. There were a few other people at the class and they were clueless! One lady's surgery is in a week and she didn't know the first thing about it. She didn't even know she had to drink Protein shakes and was complaining! I can't believe you'd be signed up for such a life changing surgery without doing any research.

So, my Gold Standard 100% whey Protein by Optimum Nutrition came in the mail today. I have:

5 lbs of Cake Batter flavor

2 lbs of Mocha Cappuccino

2 lbs of Caramel Toffee Fudge

I tried the Cake Batter with Water tonight for fun, it'll taste MUCH better the second week when I can have skim milk but it's definitely not bad for being mixed with Water. I'll blend some ice with it during the first week and it'll be all good.

My powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth and Unflavored protein tubs are on their way.

I ordered all of my Vitamins except the B-1 (thiamine) because I had a lot of trouble finding a sub-lingual version. (No pills for me for 6 months! My daily meds are going to be a pain but I'll manage)

I got Celebrate brand for the Vitamins that I could, I read pretty stellar reviews on the taste and quality so I ordered:

Multivitamin chewable in Grape, Mandarin Orange, and Strawberry-pineapple (I'll figure out which I like best and re-order that when I need them)

Iron+C 30mg Chewable Grape

Calcium Plus 500 Chewable Cherry-Tart

They didn't have a chewable or sub-lingual Biotin or B-1 so I ordered this from VitaCost:

Nature's Way 1000mg Biotin Lozenges (I've heard they have a yummy fruity flavor)

I'll probably call my nutritionist tomorrow about the B-1 and see what she says. I picked out a comfy pair of Joe Boxer Pajamas, am getting liquid Tylenol and Gas-X strips from Walgreens tomorrow then I think I'm about set. My nice boyfriend moved up my SUPER comfy over sized chair from the basement to the living room so I can sleep comfy without trying to maneuver steps. How nice of him :) (I helped too, it was heavy!) I've got to get some Jello and probably some chicken broth from the store, take 2 more finals, throw one last party, then pre-op then surgery! One more week, I got this :D

Again, I'm very impressed, and you are so cute. All the best to you. Your boyfriend sounds like a keeper, hopefully, he's a "sticker" (sorry, goofy, :P )