Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

300+ To Loose... Just Got My Surgery Date

Howdy!

I'm new to these boards and am so happy to see this 200+ forum. My needed weight loss feels insurmountable right now but I'm taking a step in the right direction, yes? Anyone else that has a number like 300 to loose? Or have there been? I could use a boost!

I'm already learning a lot from you kind folks and hope to become another voice of experience in the future. Right now, I'm a bundle of hope and nerves.

There are many on here that have lost that much. Welcome to the forum. I have found it to be very helpful. This is an awesome group. Good luck with your surgery.

I have 300 lbs to lose. I started out at 480 on 9/20/27, this was my pre-surgical testing appointment. My surgery was the following week 9/27/12 and on the morning of surgery I was 453. It fluctuated a bit with hormones and all the Fluid they gave me through my IV, but I'm now 414 at 2 months out. I've got quite a bit to go, but notice a major change in clothing and my energy levels, it's been wonderful! I'm also off of 1 of my BP meds. Welcome and good luck! :) You can do it!

I have 300 to lose had the sleeve Oct 23 down 53 pounds today. Dont get discouraged this is a lifestyle change and it takes time just be patient and follow your doctor's orders. Good luck

Thank you all for your time and stories. It helps to know there are others out there. It feels impossible at this moment... but that's just the emotions of the decision I've made I'm sure. I just watched a set of YouTube video's from a young man who lost over 500lbs... I could not figure out if he ended up having bypass also, but he started out with VSG. That was inspiring to say the least.

Some moments I wish that it was already February. Other moments the enormity washes over me and I freeze. A little faith is in order!

Some moments I wish that it was already February.

Hey! At least you have a date for surgery! I have my 1st surgeon visit on 12/6 so I'm really anxious to see what hoops I have to jump and when I can get scheduled! :)

I haven't discussed a goal weight, but I know I want to be at the 170 mark. Right now, I'm 459. That's 289lbs to lose! I have every confidence that I can do it, though. From where I'm starting, I'd be happy just to be in the 200 range - which is ironic when you see all the people on here who got surgery BECAUSE they were in the 200s.

Better to do something about it now before you have 400lbs to lose, is what I'm thinking. Wish I would have looked into surgery sooner!

Good luck to all of us! <3

From where I'm starting, I'd be happy just to be in the 200 range - which is ironic when you see all the people on here who got surgery BECAUSE they were in the 200s.

makemyownluck... I know everyone's journey is different but you took the words out of my mouth about the irony of what I'd call 100% success being other's starting weight! :)

I agree, I'm very blessed to have a date... I wouldn't if I hadn't found a way for self-pay (a miracle all its own). My insurance does not cover WLS and the plan manager said specifically they'd not make any exceptions.

If you are having to self pay, you might wait to apply in January. New rules take affect (Obamacare and general rule updates) that might get your insurance to pay. Last year (2011) my insurance only needed a 35 bmi, this year it is 40. They also change how many years of weight history you need.

Something to think about, and it is only a month away.

Thanks for the advice Kivtuar. The rules would have to dramatically change to make an insurance pay happen easily. And my out of pocket max is not too much less than the self-pay rate! The joys of working for a non-profit organization that doesn't have much purchase power. But this might be a helpful reminder for someone else.

Ah that really sucks :/ sorry :(

I was 476lbs when I got out of the hospital on May 2nd this year (wasn't sleeved at that time). I lost 130lbs over the next 6.5 months and had my surgery (sleeve) on November 27th. Down 13lbs since my surgery 9 days ago. Total: 144lbs down and 332lbs this morning :) My goal weight is 160lbs. Surgery was amazing. No pain. No nausea. Nothing. Very happy with my decision. Best of luck to you. I understand the long weight loss road.

makemyownluck... I know everyone's journey is different but you took the words out of my mouth about the irony of what I'd call 100% success being other's starting weight! :)

I agree, I'm very blessed to have a date... I wouldn't if I hadn't found a way for self-pay (a miracle all its own). My insurance does not cover WLS and the plan manager said specifically they'd not make any exceptions.

I had my surgeon visit today. She said I'm too heavy to operate on. I have to lose 50lbs before she'd consider it. And when she delivered this disappointing news and it made me cry, she said, "Crying won't help you. You should see what I go through in a day, I should be the one crying." Yeah, ok, but I thought we were here to talk about ME.

So, no surgery date for me.... yet. Still figuring out what to do from here.

I was 476lbs when I got out of the hospital on May 2nd this year (wasn't sleeved at that time). I lost 130lbs over the next 6.5 months and had my surgery (sleeve) on November 27th. Down 13lbs since my surgery 9 days ago. Total: 144lbs down and 332lbs this morning :) My goal weight is 160lbs. Surgery was amazing. No pain. No nausea. Nothing. Very happy with my decision. Best of luck to you. I understand the long weight loss road.

WOW! Great job with the weight loss!!!

How did you lose 130lbs in 6 months pre-op?

I had my surgeon visit today. She said I'm too heavy to operate on. I have to lose 50lbs before she'd consider it. And when she delivered this disappointing news and it made me cry' date=' she said, "Crying won't help you. You should see what I go through in a day, I should be the one crying." Yeah, ok, but I thought we were here to talk about ME.

So, no surgery date for me.... yet. Still figuring out what to do from here.[/quote']

It's true, some docs won't operate past a certain BMI, did she have to be such a b*tch about it? I think a little empathy would have been nice. If you're not attached to her, I would consider someone else. That was a perfect example of her bedside manner.

I had my surgeon visit today. She said I'm too heavy to operate on. I have to lose 50lbs before she'd consider it. And when she delivered this disappointing news and it made me cry, she said, "Crying won't help you. You should see what I go through in a day, I should be the one crying." Yeah, ok, but I thought we were here to talk about ME.

So, no surgery date for me.... yet. Still figuring out what to do from here.

I'm so very sorry that a "professional" treated you that way! Ready4success took the words out of my mind though... if it's possible, I'd consider another surgeon after being treated so roughly. The circumstance and decisions you've made should never be taken in such a cavalier way... in my humble opinion anyway. Past that, I am sorry that they need you to reduce before they'll schedule you.