Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Pain Is Discouraging

Views
Started by elibu, Sep 20, 2012 8:51 AM
21 replies to this topic
21 replies to this topic

elibu

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
  • Surgeon: Steven Hodgett
  • Surgery Date: Aug 2012
  • Height: 5 feet 5 inches
  • Starting Weight: 244
  • Weight Lost: 45
  • Current Weight: 199
  • Goal Weight: 160
  • BMI: 33.1
  • My Blogs
Posted September 20, 2012 - 8:51 AM

I was sleeved on 8/29. Have done really well with eating,no nausea or vomiting, down 20 lbs.... At my 2 week post op visit my MD said the pain I was experiencing on my left side was normal. so I wasn't worried. Well it went away for a few days and IT'S BACK...

Couldn't get comfortable last night and the pain on my left side takes my breath away when I stand. Now instead of radiating into my hip it is going to my back...No it's not gas. It's as if when I stand there is something pulling at my insides..

I am a nurse and have gone back to work so I don't know if maybe I am doing to much or what is going on..

So discouraged I could cry!!!

wishing4

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted September 20, 2012 - 9:32 AM

Where is the pain? You said it radiates to your back, is it your flank? You should be doing a lot of protein now and if you don't get enough fluids you could get a stone. Stone pain can radiate to the groin or to the back. I would see my doc and have a UA run. Not sure where you work, could you do a urine dip there?

Angelmom

Expert Member

• Surgery Date: Sep 2012
  • Starting Weight: 310 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 105 lbs
  • Current Weight: 205 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 160 lbs
  • BMI: 34.1
  • My Blogs
Posted September 20, 2012 - 9:58 AM

I think you are doing too much. I'm 14 days out, myself, and last night I took my daughter to dance and I sat in the park in my favorite chair....she took too long...1.5 hours, instead of .5 hours, and I was done for! I was in tears, scared, hurting, and had to take pain meds twice last night. Nursing is a tough job...and to go back so soon is a lot.

Do you have a belly binder? Maybe wearing that while you run like a chicken with the head cut off will help give you some support.

susanfaye

Junior Guru

• Height: 6 feet 0 inches
  • Starting Weight: 298 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 75 lbs
  • Current Weight: 223 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 180 lbs
  • BMI: 30.2
Posted September 20, 2012 - 10:10 AM

I had that exact pain. It went away then came back with a vengence. it was horrible, then at 5 weeks it just disappeared one day. My surgeon said it was a pulled muscle from sneezing. It radiated right around my back and felt like my rib was pulling it. I had to be very careful how I moved or sat. Hang in there, it does get better!

susanfaye

Junior Guru

Posted September 20, 2012 - 10:12 AM

Also wearing a girdle REALLY helped a lot!

elibu

• My Blogs
Posted September 20, 2012 - 12:37 PM

I know there is a light at the end of this "pain tunnell". It just sucks sometimes. I have a abdominal binder..Hot to wear here in FL...Oh well!!!

elibu

• My Blogs
Posted September 20, 2012 - 1:11 PM

Where is the pain? You said it radiates to your back, is it your flank? You should be doing a lot of protein now and if you don't get enough fluids you could get a stone. Stone pain can radiate to the groin or to the back. I would see my doc and have a UA run. Not sure where you work, could you do a urine dip there?

Definately not flank pain...it's more muscular. I work in L&D..will dip my urine anyway....I just think I over did it again ugh.....

Avillias

Expert Member

• Surgeon: Uyen Chu
  • Height: 5 feet 6 inches
  • Starting Weight: 307
  • Weight Lost: 19
  • Current Weight: 288
  • Goal Weight: 150
  • BMI: 46.5
Posted September 20, 2012 - 1:33 PM

I will be 1 month post op on the 23rd and I'm in the Er right now waiting on a Dr. Because I have been having terrible pains on my side and into my back for 4 days now and when I woke up this morning I couldn't take it anymore, I'll let you know what they say, hopefully it's nothing serious I have 5 Lil ones that need me.

LA_dreamer

Expert Member

Posted September 20, 2012 - 1:47 PM

Mine id on my right side about an inch upward going diagonal toward my sternum. It always hurts when I sneeze or over do myself. My doctor told me that he does a wide stitch on the muscle layer to avoid the muscle suture line from being pulled on. He said this sometimes causes the muscle to "bunch up" there. This causes my muscle to not be able to stretch very much. He said it will resolve when the stitches dissolve around 6-8 weeks.

susanfaye

Junior Guru

Posted September 20, 2012 - 2:58 PM

Mine id on my right side about an inch upward going diagonal toward my sternum. It always hurts when I sneeze or over do myself. My doctor told me that he does a wide stitch on the muscle layer to avoid the muscle suture line from being pulled on. He said this sometimes causes the muscle to "bunch up" there. This causes my muscle to not be able to stretch very much. He said it will resolve when the stitches dissolve around 6-8 weeks.

That is exactly what my Dr said. At 5 weeks it just went away. I just woke up and it was gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Aug 29
    Junebug36

ugh, hate tight mornings...had to get anything down this morning without feel...

Show comments (2)
View All Updates