Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Craving Food Chew, Taste, And Spit Out

Views
Started by ChristyLove, Jul 08, 2012 11:34 AM
pre op post op gastric sleeve food diet
19 replies to this topic
19 replies to this topic

ChristyLove

Guru in Training

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: Stefanie Vaimakis
  • Surgery Date: Jul 2012
  • Height: 5 feet 1 inches
  • Starting Weight: 200
  • Weight Lost: 65
  • Current Weight: 135
  • Goal Weight: 135
  • BMI: 25.5
Posted July 8, 2012 - 11:34 AM

I am really craving taste, I am not hungry only craving food. Can I put the food in my mouth chew , suck then spit it out without swallowing or eating it? Has anyone every tried this?

iwannabslim

Guru in Training

• Surgeon: Jaime Ponce
  • Surgery Date: Jun 2012
  • Starting Weight: 258
  • Weight Lost: 63
  • Current Weight: 195
  • Goal Weight: 140
  • BMI: 36.8
Posted July 8, 2012 - 11:41 AM

During my psych evaluation, I was warned this is a pattern of an eating disorder. I wouldn't start an unhealthy habit.

traceyinflorida

Bariatric Guru

• Surgeon: George Rittersbach
  • Height: 5 feet 9 inches
  • Starting Weight: 274
  • Weight Lost: 78
  • Current Weight: 196
  • Goal Weight: 150
  • BMI: 28.9
Posted July 8, 2012 - 12:33 PM

When I was in my liquid phase post op I felt exactly the same way. Whenever the craving for taste and texture got bad enough, I would chew a little bit and spit it out. For me, just doing that once for something I was feeling deprived of would do the trick. Later, I found out in our support group that our bariatric coordinator, who is a bariatric nurse and a RNY recipient herself, totally advocates that. I am sure if you were doing it constantly, then that might be a red flag of an eating disorder, but to do it once in a while while coping with learning a new way to eat I imagine is fine.

proudgrammy

sleevehappy

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
  • Surgery Date: Dec 2011
  • Height: 5 feet 3 inches
  • Starting Weight: 235 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 105 lbs
  • Current Weight: 130 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 130 lbs
  • BMI: 23
  • My Blogs
Posted July 8, 2012 - 12:34 PM

spit food out without swallowing or eating it?

girlfriend

From the board i have seen this subject discussed.

I would not pertake in it - it does sound like you might start having an eating disorder if you continue to do this

to me it sound gross, sorry but it does

hope you don't do this

good luck
kathy

ChristyLove

Guru in Training

Posted July 8, 2012 - 1:02 PM

When I was in my liquid phase post op I felt exactly the same way. Whenever the craving for taste and texture got bad enough, I would chew a little bit and spit it out. For me, just doing that once for something I was feeling deprived of would do the trick. Later, I found out in our support group that our bariatric coordinator, who is a bariatric nurse and a RNY recipient herself, totally advocates that. I am sure if you were doing it constantly, then that might be a red flag of an eating disorder, but to do it once in a while while coping with learning a new way to eat I imagine is fine.

Thank you for the advice. I was looking for some support on how I am feeling. I never tried it but someone told me about it. Thank you for not labeling me or diagnoising me. It was a thought. I am 6 days out and everyone is eating around me and the smell is unbearable. I didn't get to have water until 2 days ago and I could get shakes until yesterday. They didn't give me anything in the hospital until the 4th day the doctors gave me water and day 5 I got broth. Yesterday I had a partial shake. Thanks for putting me back on the right track without judging me.

phatdivabbw

Expert Member

• Surgeon: Michael Nusbaum
  • Surgery Date: May 2012
  • Height: 5 feet 3 inches
  • Starting Weight: 448
  • Weight Lost: 145
  • Current Weight: 303
  • Goal Weight: 250
  • BMI: 53.7
  • My Blogs
Posted July 8, 2012 - 1:27 PM

Honestly I did it once when I was on my pureed stage. Everyone was eating baked ziti and chicken. I chewed both didn't swallow and spit it out. It gave me the flavor and I was okay. I was craving chewing badly and although it may sound gross to some I don't think it is or will lead to a eating disorder. I mean heck most of us already have some type of eating disorder.

My adice is if you do it don't make a habit out of it. Your tummy is still fraigle and needs to heal properly.

Hugs

ShrinkingBellyKelly

Advanced Member

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
  • Surgeon: Stephen Malley
  • Height: 5 feet 4 inches
  • Starting Weight: 274
  • Weight Lost: 88
  • Current Weight: 186
  • Goal Weight: 150
  • BMI: 31.9
Posted July 8, 2012 - 1:29 PM

I did the same thing when making my kids a meal the other night. I seriously doubt one time to quell a craving means I have an eating disorder. More so, I was having hunger and took a healthier way to cope than eating something that could have hurt my sleeve. I didn't do it to avoid calories, it was to get a taste of real food without causing harm. You're totally fine (and normal).

ChristyLove

Guru in Training

Posted July 8, 2012 - 1:32 PM

Honestly I did it once when I was on my pureed stage. Everyone was eating baked ziti and chicken. I chewed both didn't swallow and spit it out. It gave me the flavor and I was okay. I was craving chewing badly and although it may sound gross to some I don't think it is or will lead to a eating disorder. I mean heck most of us already have some type of eating disorder.

My adice is if you do it don't make a habit out of it. Your tummy is still fraigle and needs to heal properly.

Hugs

I think you advice helped. I glad someone else had the thought or went through it also. I will also try and wait to get to the puree stage. Thank you soooooo much. It really helped. I am usually very strong however, I can see how everyone needs encouraging support. Thank you again

ChristyLove

Guru in Training

Posted July 8, 2012 - 1:36 PM

I did the same thing when making my kids a meal the other night. I seriously doubt one time to quell a craving means I have an eating disorder. More so, I was having hunger and took a healthier way to cope than eating something that could have hurt my sleeve. I didn't do it to avoid calories, it was to get a taste of real food without causing harm. You're totally fine (and normal).

That was my feeling exactly. I don't want to do anything that will make this process worse. Thank you

iwannabslim

Guru in Training

• Surgeon: Jaime Ponce
  • Starting Weight: 258
  • Weight Lost: 63
  • Current Weight: 195
  • Goal Weight: 140
  • BMI: 36.8
Posted July 8, 2012 - 1:47 PM

Thank you for the advice. I was looking for some support on how I am feeling. I never tried it but someone told me about it. Thank you for not labeling me or diagnoising me. It was a thought. I am 6 days out and everyone is eating around me and the smell is unbearable. I didn't get to have water until 2 days ago and I could get shakes until yesterday. They didn't give me anything in the hospital until the 4th day the doctors gave me water and day 5 I got broth. Yesterday I had a partial shake. Thanks for putting me back on the right track without judging me.

I don't believe my answer was either a judgement or a diagnosis. You put the question out there. I simply gave my opinion on it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pre op, post op, gastric sleeve, food, diet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Aug 22
    BladeFox

My new body and attitude don't match my old (kept) clothes! Those cl...

Show comments (2)
View All Updates

Trending Topics