Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 17 VSG, need October friends!

Hi Everyone!

I am looking for people who will be having their VSG in October. My surgery is Oct 17 at Mass General Hospital in Boston with Dr. Hutter. Anyone else out there in Massachusetts or Boston? But that isn't necessary to respond. Let's share our thoughts and feelings as this surgery get closer, happens and we start our new lives.

Let me know how you are doing! Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hopeful Spirit.

Hi Hopeful,

Just got a date today of October 18. I will be having my surgery at Banner Gateway Hospital in Mesa, Arizona with Dr. Al Chen. I am on a search for the best Protein powder for me. Not sure what my goal weight should be yet.

Does your surgeon require a 2 week pre-op liquid diet? Do you know the size of the bougie? Do you have a good support system? We have great monthly classes in nutrition, exercise and psychological and I am grateful for supportive family and friends.

Look forward to heading on over to the loser's bench with you!

Judy

Hi Hopeful,

Just got a date today of October 18. I will be having my surgery at Banner Gateway Hospital in Mesa, Arizona with Dr. Al Chen. I am on a search for the best Protein powder for me. Not sure what my goal weight should be yet.

Does your surgeon require a 2 week pre-op liquid diet? Do you know the size of the bougie? Do you have a good support system? We have great monthly classes in nutrition, exercise and psychological and I am grateful for supportive family and friends.

Look forward to heading on over to the loser's bench with you!

Judy

Hi Judy:

CONGRATULATIONS!

You must be excited. AND your date is just one day after mine! My date is Monday, October 17th. I will be at Mass General Hospital in Boston and my Surgeon is Mathew Hutter. We are the same age (66) and surgery dates just one day apart. We must be meant for each other!

It is good to hear you have a good Medical Center with a comprehensive program with nutritional, psychological and exercise support. Mass General also has a very comprehensive program, but it looks like it is a little different in structure. They require individual sessions with a nutritionist and psychologist for several months before surgery, and then there are more sessions after. There is a group support system also, but the group sessions start after surgery. I think it is all necessary and very important. I also have good friends who support me, although I do live on my own and don't have family close. That is one of the reasons I joined this forum. I wanted to meet and support people in similar situations.

To answer you questions, I don't know what size bougie my surgeon will use. When I asked him that question, he said that it was an individual choice of surgeons and that research was showing that sometimes a smaller bougie would lead to a greater possibility of leakage. So he didn't give me a definite answer. What size will yours be?

Also, I don't know exactly what the diet will be for the two weeks prior to surgery. I have my first group meeting this Thursday, 9/15, to go over all of these details. I think it will be part liquid and part something else, but I really don't know yet. I DO know it will be very restrictive, however, because they want you to lose about 20 pounds in two weeks! My goodness. I will let you know as soon as I know.

And DO let me know what Protein Powder you decide on. I will have to do my own search, although I think Mass General (MGH) will probably recommend certain brands.

Right now I am VERY busy trying to train someone to do my job while I am out on Medical Leave. I work full time at Harvard University and am very fortunate to have Short Term Disability which will give me some time, so I don't have to go back to work right away.

So let me know how you are doing, and if I can figure out how to do it, I will add you as a "Friend" on my profile page. This is the first Forum I have ever joined, so I really feel totally "out of my element" trying to navigate around how to do things.

It is really nice to hear from you,

Phyllis (aka Hopeful Spirit) :D

Hello, there! I'm October 20 in the Seattle area. We'll all only be days apart! My surgeon also has an extensive support system, although he does not require a two-week liquid diet. He thinks it's torture. He does want me to eat VERY sensibly though, low-fat, low-carb, hi-Protein for a couple weeks before and no binging on fatty foods ( I think he specifically mentioned running to Olive Garden for Fettucine Alfredo!) Who, mmmmeeee??? NEVER!!! :rolleyes:

Anywhoozle, he uses a 32 French bougie, the smallest. He said that this surgery started years ago using 44's and 50's and it has eventually come down smaller and smaller as research and experience has found that smaller is better for long-term, most successful weight loss. He does a special little thing where he leaves the tightest part of the left-over tummy a little bigger to avoid the leak issue...that 's my worst nightmare....need to stay/get healthy for my baby boy! I'm an 'old' mom (by some people's standards :unsure:) and need to be here a long time!

Can't wait to share with you all!

Hi Everyone! My name is Lisa, I have a tentative date of 10/11 for my sleeve, soooo excited! I live in San Jose California, will be operated on by Dr. Zare at Good Samaritan Hospital and I'm 39 years old.

I have my last insurance required Nut appt on 9/26 and then I'll have completed all of the requirements. My surgeon's office tells me that my insurance is very easy to work with and I hope they are right. Crossing my fingers.

Here's wishing the very best of luck to all the October Sleevers!!!

Hello all!

I'm all set for October 11th. I have another meeting with the surgeon and a pre-admission appointment, but otherwise I'm just counting the days. It's getting close, but the days seems to drag since the date was set.

I'm in Kansas City, Missouri with Dr. Stanley Hoehn. He claims to be the very best in the area and if he has the guts to make the claim, I guess he must be right. LOL Oh, and his office is the only one my insurance will allow me to use, so there is that. His partner is younger and less expereinced, so I went with Hoehn.

I have a 2-week pre-op diet starting on the 27th, so I've been making very careful eating selections recently - kind of a farewell tour as they say. I didn't want to miss fall chili, so we made a pot on Sunday. That sort of thing.

I'm curious what others do in preparation for surgery. If anyone would like to share, I'd sure appreciate it.

Best of luck to all of you!

Hi all! I am a self pay patient (yikes!) and have my surgery date scheduled for October 4th! Yay! I just started my pre-op diet yesterday which wasn't as bad as I thought! Being self-pay has it's advantages like not having to go through insurance hoops! I am just thankful that I can do it like I did! I live in Cincinnati, Ohio and I am having my surgery done by Dr. Northup with Mercy Healthy Weight Solutions, they are a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence! Every employee there has been wonderful! I am grateful for them all!

As far as my pre-op surgery diet goes: I have to consume 60g of Protein a day via Protein shakes made by powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury or nectar. (I personally like Bariatric fusion but those shakes are more so post op!). I am alloted as much water/crystal light/isopure (which counts as a Fluid and protein)/ sobe life Water 0 calorie/sugar free popsicles as I want.

I can also have 1 cup of SF Jello pudding or Gelatin, veggie Soup, 98% FF cream Soup, or Tomato Soup, 1 cup of iceberg lettuce, Tomato, cucumber, carrots, celery with 2 TBSP of fat free dressing, 1/2 cup of Unsweetened applesauce, 1 cup of dannon light n fit yogurt. -- All of these only once a day.

The day before my surgery I will be on an all clear liquid diet and nothing to drink or eat after midnight.

Best of luck to everyone!

Hi Everyone!

I am looking for people who will be having their VSG in October. My surgery is Oct 17 at Mass General Hospital in Boston with Dr. Hutter. Anyone else out there in Massachusetts or Boston? But that isn't necessary to respond. Let's share our thoughts and feelings as this surgery get closer, happens and we start our new lives.

Let me know how you are doing! Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hopeful Spirit.

Hey, girl!! I am being sleeved Oct 13, 2011 in Portsmouth NH- less than an hour from you! I feel like I am on a rollercoaster ride, and right now I am strapped in, and on the first incline. Click..click..click..click. I am nervous about getting through the first week or so, but NO doubts about this being the right choice for me. I am so grateful I have a supportive family and co-workers. How about you?

New Start

Hey everyone! I'm being sleeved on October 10th in Ashland, KY with Dr. Tompkins. The hospital is King's Daughters Medical Center and it also is a center for excellence. I start my pre-op diet Monday so fun times are just around the corner haha

I have found I really enjoy the Matric and the nectar Protein shakes (particularly the Matrix Cookies and Cream shake, it's hard to believe it's good for you. Sometimes I add a tsp of peanut butter).

I wish everyone the best in their journey and let's stay in touch!

Hi Chris, AKA Soon to be MiniMommy!

Welcome to the October Sleevers. I've been pretty busy lately getting things in order at work for my Medical Leave, so I haven't had a lot of "on line time" available. But I am so happy that we are getting a group together. It sounds like you have a good surgeon who communicates well and is very practical. I am having some problems communicating with my surgeon. I don't know what size bougie he at least is planning to use on me. When I questioned this, he said that he will discuss it when I meet with him next which is October 12, the Wednesday before my Monday Surgery. I am hoping we come to an agreement, because this is no time to find another surgeon!! I am hoping for a size that will allow me to lose as much possible weight. I have 150 lbs to loose, and I really want to do it (with a fall-back plan of 100 lbs).

So your surgery is just 3 days after mine! Cool!! We WILL have a lot going on.

Again, great to hear from you. I am adding you (and all the October Sleevers as my friends. Oh, I should say that I am TOTALLY new at this forum business and am little by little leaning how to do things. So who knows what mistakes I will make.:rolleyes:

Phyllis, Hopeful Spirit

Hello, there! I'm October 20 in the Seattle area. We'll all only be days apart! My surgeon also has an extensive support system, although he does not require a two-week liquid diet. He thinks it's torture. He does want me to eat VERY sensibly though, low-fat, low-carb, hi-Protein for a couple weeks before and no binging on fatty foods ( I think he specifically mentioned running to Olive Garden for Fettucine Alfredo!) Who, mmmmeeee??? NEVER!!! :rolleyes:

Anywhoozle, he uses a 32 French bougie, the smallest. He said that this surgery started years ago using 44's and 50's and it has eventually come down smaller and smaller as research and experience has found that smaller is better for long-term, most successful weight loss. He does a special little thing where he leaves the tightest part of the left-over tummy a little bigger to avoid the leak issue...that 's my worst nightmare....need to stay/get healthy for my baby boy! I'm an 'old' mom (by some people's standards :unsure:) and need to be here a long time!

Can't wait to share with you all!

Hi KC Sunshine!! Your email sounds like you are really living up to your name -- very upbeat and terrific!! Welcome to the October Sleevers!! I will be adding you as a friend along with the other October Sleevers who answered my request for groupies. You are scheduled one day after me and others are scheduled during that week and the previous week. I think we will all be quite busy during the "festivities". I have to admit, I am getting a little nervous. I have just received my "Marching Orders" for the two-week diet, but they aren't too bad. I must admit, I was a little afraid of the dreaded liquid diet, so I lucked out in just a very restrictive diet with Protein shakes and Water (the liquid part) and small minimum Protein and veggies meals.

Best of luck and keep in touch. We all need Sunshine!!:)

Phyllis, Hopeful Spirit

Hi y'all.

I'm scheduled for 10/18 at Forest Park Medical Center in Dallas by Dr. Nick Nicholson. Let's get this October party started!

Welcome Lisajxoxo! The October Sleevers are on the move and it looks like we all will be supporting you early on. My surgery is scheduled for October 17, and we have a couple of 10/18 and 10/20. so we are all getting on board. I am addong all October Sleevers as friends on my Profile page so I can find everyone.

So happy you got you completed all the requirements. I bet you feel like a load has been lifted off your shoulders! I remember when I got a date, I felt so relieved! And Insurance coverage is getting easier and easier. The people at the Mass General Weight Loss Clinic where I am involved were quite surprised to hear that my Insurance Co was covering the Sleeve Surgery. Little by little, I think the Insurance Co's are coming around. Let us know what happens with you and good luck!!

By for now.

All good things,

Phyllis, Hopeful Spirit

Hi Everyone! My name is Lisa, I have a tentative date of 10/11 for my sleeve, soooo excited! I live in San Jose California, will be operated on by Dr. Zare at Good Samaritan Hospital and I'm 39 years old.

I have my last insurance required Nut appt on 9/26 and then I'll have completed all of the requirements. My surgeon's office tells me that my insurance is very easy to work with and I hope they are right. Crossing my fingers.

Here's wishing the very best of luck to all the October Sleevers!!!

Hi Holiday! Welcome to the October Sleevers. Wowee!! We have people from all over the country. Glad to see that Kansas City, Miossouri is represented . We are East and West and in between.

Yes, you are one of our early October Sleevers and your date is getting close, but still 3 weeks out. My guess is that you made the right choice with Stanley Hoehn. Experience counts. I have to admit that even though I have been warned by everyone in the Mass General Hospital Weight Loss Clinic not to fall into the "Last Meal Syndrome", I also have been thinking about things to eat. I start my 2 week pre surgery diet on Monday, October 3rd, which is interesting because Saturday, October 1st is my Birthday (I will be 66 years old!!!!!!!!), and my friends are taking me out to one of the famous Boston Sea food Restaurants here on the Boston Harbor and I plan to not only have a good dinner, but also a Birthday cocktail!! Then on October 3rd, I will faithfully start my pre-surgery diet because I am serious about this surgery and I want to do everything by the book!

Best of luck, and we will be standing by!

Phyllis, Hopeful Spirit

Hello all!

I'm all set for October 11th. I have another meeting with the surgeon and a pre-admission appointment, but otherwise I'm just counting the days. It's getting close, but the days seems to drag since the date was set.

I'm in Kansas City, Missouri with Dr. Stanley Hoehn. He claims to be the very best in the area and if he has the guts to make the claim, I guess he must be right. LOL Oh, and his office is the only one my insurance will allow me to use, so there is that. His partner is younger and less expereinced, so I went with Hoehn.

I have a 2-week pre-op diet starting on the 27th, so I've been making very careful eating selections recently - kind of a farewell tour as they say. I didn't want to miss fall chili, so we made a pot on Sunday. That sort of thing.

I'm curious what others do in preparation for surgery. If anyone would like to share, I'd sure appreciate it.

Hi Holiday! Welcome to the October Sleevers. Wowee!! We have people from all over the country. Glad to see that Kansas City, Miossouri is represented . We are East and West and in between.

Yes, you are one of our early October Sleevers and your date is getting close, but still 3 weeks out. My guess is that you made the right choice with Stanley Hoehn. Experience counts. I have to admit that even though I have been warned by everyone in the Mass General Hospital Weight Loss Clinic not to fall into the "Last Meal Syndrome", I also have been thinking about things to eat. I start my 2 week pre surgery diet on Monday, October 3rd, which is interesting because Saturday, October 1st is my Birthday (I will be 66 years old!!!!!!!!), and my friends are taking me out to one of the famous Boston Sea food Restaurants here on the Boston Harbor and I plan to not only have a good dinner, but also a Birthday cocktail!! Then on October 3rd, I will faithfully start my pre-surgery diet because I am serious about this surgery and I want to do everything by the book!

Best of luck, and we will be standing by!

Phyllis, Hopeful Spirit

Hello all!