Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Easy to stretch sleeve?

I was talking with someone about this procedure, and she asked me if it was easy to stretch the sleeve out and if it got stretched, was it possible to shrink it back. I really don't know how hard or easy it is to stretch it, and I have heard that the stomach can shrink, anyway, I wasn't sure how to answer her. Any info on this topic?

I asked my surgeon this same question and was told it is possible to stretch the sleeve and re-gain weight.

From what I know, it is possible to stretch the sleeve, but not really easy. I was told that the part of the stomach that's cut out -- the fundus -- is the stretchy part. The remainder is roughly the consistency of football leather -- yes, it IS possible over time and with effort, to stretch it a little.

But NO, one carbonated beverage or the occasional overly fast meal is NOT going to stretch your sleeve. Most of the "stretching" talk comes from lap band and bypass patients, who DO have a serious problem with stretching their respective "pouches." We sleevers aren't immune to the problem, but it's much less of an issue.

That's what I have heard,

From what I know, it is possible to stretch the sleeve, but not really easy. I was told that the part of the stomach that's cut out -- the fundus -- is the stretchy part. The remainder is roughly the consistency of football leather -- yes, it IS possible over time and with effort, to stretch it a little.

But NO, one carbonated beverage or the occasional overly fast meal is NOT going to stretch your sleeve. Most of the "stretching" talk comes from lap band and bypass patients, who DO have a serious problem with stretching their respective "pouches." We sleevers aren't immune to the problem, but it's much less of an issue.

Yep my doctor says same. Will throw up if overeat thst much with sleeve he says. Won't really stretch. One can ultimately eat up to a cup of food at a time but I've read posts on here saying thst too depends on length (size) of sleeve not stretching. I wouldn't push it though due to feeling so bad if one overdoes it. I did thst once

Guest Rosalind

This is the main reason I haven't told anyone about my surgery.........because I can not tolerate dumb questions like that! That sounds like a person who is trying to find failure or ways to fail. I will keep mine to myself thank you!

AMEN!!

Kelly

This is the main reason I haven't told anyone about my surgery.........because I can not tolerate dumb questions like that! That sounds like a person who is trying to find failure or ways to fail. I will keep mine to myself thank you!

Oh, I don't know....I wouldn't be too hard on anyone that asked me such a question, especially since it was one concern that I had myself. People aren't always asking questions to shoot each other down. There are many times they are just curious and possibly are considering the surgery themselves and just want to be well informed. Lets give people the benefit of the doubt before shooting them down. :)

My Dr also said it is possible to stretch it, but not very likely. I asked him about shrinking it back if it were to stretch and he said that shrinking it was not possible. You cannot shrink your sleeve whether stretched or not.

I was talking with someone about this procedure, and she asked me if it was easy to stretch the sleeve out and if it got stretched, was it possible to shrink it back. I really don't know how hard or easy it is to stretch it, and I have heard that the stomach can shrink, anyway, I wasn't sure how to answer her. Any info on this topic?

Dr. Alvarez has a video on youtube that is informative regarding the size of sleeves. Each individual is different and the size of the stomach can be different. Some people have bigger sleeves than others depending on the size of their stomachs before surgery. I think that is why you see that some people can eat more than others or can tolerate solids better than others. I understand that overtime you can eat more than in the beginning. Again I think this is individual by everyone. Is it that the sleeve has gone bigger, wrong food choices, or that the stomach empties more often to accommodate the extra food. No one knows for sure. I am sure the sleeve can stretch but I doubt it can stretch that much. I would think that most people who gain weight have gone back to old eating habits that increase calories with the wrong foods. As my surgeon said, if you drink 5 cafe lattes a day you will gain weight. So the choices in food makes a significant difference in how successful you are with permanent weight loss. I know that all of us have tried different diets. As long as you stayed on your diet and didn't cheat you were successful, but once you got back into the old food habits the weight returned. It is a total life changing experience. It is getting use to smaller portions and the right food choices. As I have said to people who know about my surgery, I couldn't over eat if I wanted to. It would either come back up or I am miserable. When I go out to eat with my husband we share a plate (he had RNY in April). We half the Protein and I usually take a bite or two of salad or a vegetable and I am done. I would never have done this before surgery. So you have to understand VSG is a restrictive surgery. It will keep you from indulging in all the bad food choices as long as you make the right choice. It restricts you from eating too much or reap the consequences. It isn't fun to over eat. It is uncomfortable at best or you windup visiting your meal (which is no fun either). It took me a couple of weeks to figure out when I needed to stop eating. I now know when my sleeve is full and I quit. I hope this info helps. Good luck with your choice. I find that the restriction the sleeve gives me helps me to make the right food choices and keeping my calories low, which is the reason for the procedure. Good luck.

I'm almost four years out from surgery and have stretched my sleeve. I can eat about six times what I should eat and first ate after surgery.

The things I did wrong (which probably helped stretch the sleeve):

* Ate too fast, not chewing properly

* Ate a lot of junk food and especially simple carbs like chips, fries, cake

* Drank soda

* Drank while eating

* Ate large amounts over a long period of time (grazing)

* Continued to comfort eat and binge eat after surgery

* Not enough exercise

Although I've tried, I can't shrink the sleeve back. As long as people follow their surgeon's or NUT's food plan, they'll be fine. Protein first!! And exercise!!

I am 2 years 4 months post op and I know I have stretched my sleeve all that it's going to stretch. I can't possibly eat more than I could at one year out. Getting too full just plain hurts.

That does not mean you can't graze and eat Snacks that cause weight gain.