Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

How much weight will i lose (about) in 5 months?

Views
Started by jasleeve, Jul 08, 2011 8:16 PM
39 replies to this topic
39 replies to this topic

jasleeve

Bariatric Master

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: Aaron Roth
  • Surgery Date: Dec 2011
  • Height: 5 feet 1 inches
  • Starting Weight: 273
  • Weight Lost: 118
  • Current Weight: 155
  • Goal Weight: 135
  • BMI: 29.3
Posted July 8, 2011 - 8:16 PM

hey everyone!

i was just curious... if all goes well, i will be getting sleeved in late november/ early december. my brothers wedding is on may 12th, 2012. with diet and exercise, whats the average weight loss with the sleeve? im aware that everyone is different which is why i say average lol.

postop'ers, how much weight did you lose (about) your first 5 months?

Tiffykins

Believes in the Sleeve

• My Blogs
Posted July 8, 2011 - 8:23 PM

How much do you have to lose????

I had over 100 pounds to lose and around 5 months out I had dropped around 90-95lbs.

There is no average since the percentage of weight loss is the primary indicator for weight loss surgery patients and not actual pounds lost.

A patient that has 100+ pounds to lose might lose more number of pounds as someone with only 70 pounds to lose, but it's the percentage of weight loss is what is used to figured "average weight loss" for bariatric patients.

jasleeve

Bariatric Master

Posted July 8, 2011 - 8:35 PM

WOW!!!!!! thats GREAT! my goodness! congrats!!!!!!! my bmi is 46-50.

the reason i put that range is because i believe to be 5'1 and was always considered 5'1 but the bariatric unit i go to say im 5'3. so at 5'3, im 46.6 at 5'1, im 49.7.

im 22, 263lbs

How much do you have to lose????

I had over 100 pounds to lose and around 5 months out I had dropped around 90-95lbs.

There is no average since the percentage of weight loss is the primary indicator for weight loss surgery patients and not actual pounds lost.

A patient that has 100+ pounds to lose might lose more number of pounds as someone with only 70 pounds to lose, but it's the percentage of weight loss is what is used to figured "average weight loss" for bariatric patients.

Tiffykins

Believes in the Sleeve

• My Blogs
Posted July 8, 2011 - 8:44 PM

WOW!!!!!! thats GREAT! my goodness! congrats!!!!!!! my bmi is 46-50.

the reason i put that range is because i believe to be 5'1 and was always considered 5'1 but the bariatric unit i go to say im 5'3. so at 5'3, im 46.6 at 5'1, im 49.7.

im 22, 263lbs

My surgery date weight was 263 as well, and at 5'2" a BMI of 49.

I low carbed it, and pushed protein for the first 6 months until I got to goal. You'll have to find what works for you, and your body. Plus, I'm over a decade older than you. Follow your surgeon's directions.

The "average" of percentage of weight loss in 12 months with the sleeve is only reported to show about 65% from my recollection, but you can read in the "Success Story" section of the forum that many, many, many of us have lost 100% of our excess weight in the first 6-9 months post-op.

Best wishes ! ! !

jasleeve

Bariatric Master

Posted July 8, 2011 - 8:51 PM

wow!! thats just so great! i cant imagine losing that much weight. my brother & family would think im sick (since no one in my family except my mom will know about the surgery). wow! CONGRATS TO YOU!!!!!! im so happy for you! thats just awesome :D

My surgery date was 263 as well, and at 5'2" a BMI of 49.

I low carbed it, and pushed protein for the first 6 months until I got to goal. You'll have to find what works for you, and your body. Plus, I'm over a decade older than you. Follow your surgeon's directions.

The "average" of percentage of weight loss in 12 months with the sleeve is only reported to show about 65% from my recollection, but you can read in the "Success Story" section of the forum that many, many, many of us have lost 100% of our excess weight in the first 6-9 months post-op.

Best wishes ! ! !

iegal

No regrets, love my sleeve.

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
  • Surgeon: Brian Quebbemann
  • Surgery Date: Sep 2010
  • Height: 5 feet 8 inches
  • Starting Weight: 221
  • Weight Lost: 66
  • Goal Weight: 155
  • BMI: 23.6
Posted July 8, 2011 - 9:18 PM

Depends on how you eat and control your carbs after sugery. I followed Tiffykins advice (read a lot on here preop) and stayed under 30 gr of carbs a day, 64 oz of water, no soda, no caffine and 65+ grams of protein day. Not as easy as it sounds but completely worth it when I hit goal...5 months out.

jasleeve

Bariatric Master

Posted July 8, 2011 - 9:21 PM

thats GREAT!!!!! i couldnt imagine hitting my goal at 5 months. if you dont mind me asking you guys, how is the extra skin?

Depends on how you eat and control your carbs after sugery. I followed Tiffykins advice (read a lot on here preop) and stayed under 30 gr of carbs a day, 64 oz of water, no soda, no caffine and 65+ grams of protein day. Not as easy as it sounds but completely worth it when I hit goal...5 months out.

susnl

Expert Member

Posted July 8, 2011 - 9:27 PM

I am only 8 wks out and I am at 72 lbs total (43 lbs pre-op and 29 lbs post-op). I am following the same regimine - low carb less than 30g a day. It's hard and mentally challanging some days but so worth it.

If you start now, you can start some really good habits that will only make life easier post-op and get a jump start on lbs.

jasleeve

Bariatric Master

Posted July 8, 2011 - 9:38 PM

im afraid i wont qualify for surgery if i lose too much. :(

I am only 8 wks out and I am at 72 lbs total (43 lbs pre-op and 29 lbs post-op). I am following the same regimine - low carb less than 30g a day. It's hard and mentally challanging some days but so worth it.

If you start now, you can start some really good habits that will only make life easier post-op and get a jump start on lbs.

Texasmom65

Bariatric Guru

Posted July 8, 2011 - 9:53 PM

Most insurances use your starting weight, when you see your surgeon as the weight they go by when its sent in for approval.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates