Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week out today! Way different than I expected!

So today is one week out for me. I honestly have to say that I had no idea what to expect. Problem was that I thought I had done my research, talked to alot of people and really read up but boy oh boy was this one shock of an experience!

I never really had any pain to speak of and stopped taking the pain meds within 12 hours. What got me was the horrible nausea and the fact that while I knew I was supposed to get the liquids etc in, I couldn't even make a dent in ANYTHING. I guess for some reason I thought it was going to be easier than this. I'm a pretty intelligent and realistic person but there is no way that I was prepared for what I have been through in the past week. I know it's different for everyone but I remember reading someone posting on the board who had gone to Mexico and said that the first day home she went shopping. I can barely force myself to get up and walk around - so weak.

I'm sipping Water all day and still not getting nearly enough in. And I know I'm not getting enough Protein in. But I am going to move forward and just keep pushing myself. I know it will get better - just hadn't planned on it being this difficult.

I know when I would come to the board and read posts from people who were a few months out and everyone was saying "I love my sleeve!" I got really excited! I should have sought out more of the reality of what happens in the first month - or I should say what "could" happen. I was totally blindsided.

I am feeling better every day and I know this was a great decision. I am just waiting for the day that I feel whole again :-)

So today is one week out for me. I honestly have to say that I had no idea what to expect. Problem was that I thought I had done my research, talked to alot of people and really read up but boy oh boy was this one shock of an experience!

I never really had any pain to speak of and stopped taking the pain meds within 12 hours. What got me was the horrible nausea and the fact that while I knew I was supposed to get the liquids etc in, I couldn't even make a dent in ANYTHING. I guess for some reason I thought it was going to be easier than this. I'm a pretty intelligent and realistic person but there is no way that I was prepared for what I have been through in the past week. I know it's different for everyone but I remember reading someone posting on the board who had gone to Mexico and said that the first day home she went shopping. I can barely force myself to get up and walk around - so weak.

I'm sipping Water all day and still not getting nearly enough in. And I know I'm not getting enough Protein in. But I am going to move forward and just keep pushing myself. I know it will get better - just hadn't planned on it being this difficult.

I know when I would come to the board and read posts from people who were a few months out and everyone was saying "I love my sleeve!" I got really excited! I should have sought out more of the reality of what happens in the first month - or I should say what "could" happen. I was totally blindsided.

I am feeling better every day and I know this was a great decision. I am just waiting for the day that I feel whole again :-)

congrats on your vsg it only a week out so be encourage. i believe you will feel great in a couple of weeks.

I'm a week out today, too. What a difference from last week! I'm finally able to upgrade my food from broth to full liquids, which includes some not so liquids. I tried grits this morning and that didn't work so well. Currently, I'm giving cottage cheese a go. We'll see how that goes.

I'm also waiting for when I feel whole again and I can be one of the people exclaiming about how much I LOVE my sleeve :)

My nut told me do not worry about the Protein for a couple of weeks. YOU DO NEED TO GET THE Water IN THOUGH!!! Each day will get better and better.

Deb

What was your fitness level before getting the sleeve? I'm curious if that makes a difference or not for weakness after surgery.

Im 3 weeks out and still have nausea. I know you dont believe me... IT WILL GET BETTER. I even got sick with a cold the week after my procedure which set me back but I promise it gets better. Just drink what you can and before you know it the time will come to get some semi solids and things will start to come together.

Good Luck!

I'm a week out today, too. What a difference from last week! I'm finally able to upgrade my food from broth to full liquids, which includes some not so liquids. I tried grits this morning and that didn't work so well. Currently, I'm giving cottage cheese a go. We'll see how that goes.

I'm also waiting for when I feel whole again and I can be one of the people exclaiming about how much I LOVE my sleeve :)

Fleur that is so funny I tried grit this morning and noo that was not a great idea Howe we it didn't bother too much I just felt it was a bit too heavy. Oh what a difference a week makes, I thought I wasn't ever gonna feel better, I do get my fluids in but that's it ,looking forward to feeling whole again and saying those 4 beautiful words.."I love my sleeve "

Hey Pam I'm right here with ya, I thought I did all the research possible , I just wasn't expecting the recovery to be difficult I overlooked that part of it, but just knowing the results that are to come I keep pushing ..BTW are you taking any Vitamins?

I am also one week out today, but feel close to normal. I do have a tad bit of soreness where my port was, but other than that, I feel fine. But, the nausea, etc, didn't subside until this past Saturday morning. I had a severe bout of reflux at 4:00 am that woke me up and sent me on a journey to Wal Mart. I finally ended up taking one of my husband's protonix and have been keeping up with Pepcid Complete (twice a day as the dr prescribed) and have had no more issues with nausea. I am getting in more and more fluids each day. I think yesterday was my first day to get it all in!! It takes some effort because you have to have a cup in your hand practically all the time. It will get easier!!!! I go to get staples out on Wednesday and can't wait since they are starting to pull a bit in some areas.

Hang in there!!! You can do this!!!!!

Debra

Hi Pam!

I know exactly what you're experiencing. Three weeks post op I was still experiencing pain, dizziness, lightheadedness, Constipation, depression, and had serious mixed emotions about my surgery. I too believed I had researched enough, plus I completed a 5 month prep program my insurance demanded. Yet, even five weeks later I was regretting my surgery and was resentful at my family for "allowing" me to do it. How irrational was that!!

Hang in there. I will soon be three months post-op, and boy did things get better!!! No more lightheadedness, dizziness, constipation, depression/anxiety, fatigue, or pain. I can drink and eat enough to feel strong and 100% normal. Things will get better. Relax, pray, meditate, read, talk to people (positive people), walk, journal, breathing exercises, listen to music, etc. This is what got me through, and it will help you too. Make sure you're taking in liquids, your Vitamins, and as much Protein as possible or your fatigue may persist. But don't stress. Relax.

God bless you. All WILL get better!

Congrats on your sleeve I myself feel really lucky I am a week and 3 days out and have had no problems to speak of eating 1/2 cup cottage cheese or mashed potatos at my meal times I do take my multi-viti, B-1, Biotin, prilosic and calcium citrate. I have started walking and am walking about 2 miles daily. It will get easier every day that goes by good luck to you.

I think you need to get some Protein in you to get some pep in your step back. Try to find a clear protein shot. The drugstores have them. I diluted them in Crystal Light lemonade and sipped on that instead of Water. Try it! And good luck!

I am a few months pre-op and it is threads like these that most interest me.. Like most i've read all the "official" info I can find about side effects and stuff that can go wrong, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Thank you for telling your story and I hope it all gets better.

I'm here for you girlie...hugs :)

I hope you feel better soon! Love and hugs!