Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week out today! Way different than I expected!

Thanks so much everyone! I can't tell you how much the support of this board helps!

Joey - Please don't let these kinds of posts discourage you. Just please go into the process knowing what to expect. That's where I thought I had done well but turns out I didn't read deep enough.

Nina - we're going through this side by side - I know it will get better

Sleeve4me - you KNOW I couldn't be getting through this without YOU :-) Love you!

And everyone - thanks so much!! I think they should tell all of the VSG classes about this board! It's the best!

Thanks so much everyone! I can't tell you how much the support of this board helps!

Joey - Please don't let these kinds of posts discourage you. Just please go into the process knowing what to expect. That's where I thought I had done well but turns out I didn't read deep enough.

Sleeve4me - you KNOW I couldn't be getting through this without YOU :-) Love you!

And everyone - thanks so much!! I think they should tell all of the VSG classes about this board! It's the best!

It is true the fatigue and trials of getting all our liquids and Protein in within the first few weeks post op - including learning "how to eat" again are not talked about enough. It's just something we have to get through though. It should definitely be discussed here! It is not talked about enough elsewhere.

It's also something that should not be thought of as fearful to the point where the Pre-Op patients feel scared to get the surgery. The benefits FAR outweigh the cons here. This is not going to last forever. I'll gladly trade in a months worth of hurt for a lifetime of happiness and freedom from fat!!!

Pamela...I know EXACT how you feel. I too did not expect the recovery to be so difficult. You just don't read too much about that on these boards. Everyone says how great they feel and so I assumed I would as well-big mistake. I am like you. The paid was horrific on the day of surgery and 2-3 days after. Since then, it is the extreme weakness that has gotten me down. I can barely pull myself off the couch. I know I am not getting enough Water and Protein, which I am sure is contributing to the problem, but I can't get it down. I don't know how people do it. I sip, sip, sip and barely get in about 30 oz of water a day. I am now 1 day shy of two weeks out and while there is absolutely no pain, I am as exhausted and lethargic as ever. I can't wait to feel better.

Pam, I am six weeks out today and still get a little nausea now and then but it does get better. For me crystal light made a very big difference in my Fluid intake something about the sweet taste got me to drink a lot more then plain Water. I don't think anyone can fully be prepared for the first week. Every one saids that the first week is rough but there is rough and then there is *ROUGH*! Just know that each day gets better and you will love your sleeve.

Doug, I think having a good exercise program in place pre op does help the recovery process. Also if you aren't already you might want to work on drinking 2 1/2 liters daily beforehand so that you get in the habit of sipping all day long.

Nancy

So today is one week out for me. I honestly have to say that I had no idea what to expect. Problem was that I thought I had done my research, talked to alot of people and really read up but boy oh boy was this one shock of an experience!

I never really had any pain to speak of and stopped taking the pain meds within 12 hours. What got me was the horrible nausea and the fact that while I knew I was supposed to get the liquids etc in, I couldn't even make a dent in ANYTHING. I guess for some reason I thought it was going to be easier than this. I'm a pretty intelligent and realistic person but there is no way that I was prepared for what I have been through in the past week. I know it's different for everyone but I remember reading someone posting on the board who had gone to Mexico and said that the first day home she went shopping. I can barely force myself to get up and walk around - so weak.

I'm sipping Water all day and still not getting nearly enough in. And I know I'm not getting enough Protein in. But I am going to move forward and just keep pushing myself. I know it will get better - just hadn't planned on it being this difficult.

I know when I would come to the board and read posts from people who were a few months out and everyone was saying "I love my sleeve!" I got really excited! I should have sought out more of the reality of what happens in the first month - or I should say what "could" happen. I was totally blindsided.

I am feeling better every day and I know this was a great decision. I am just waiting for the day that I feel whole again :-)

Irene - I agree that there should be more discussion here on the board of what to expect - coupled with the statements of those that have come out on the other side. I think I would have not freaked out so much if I had known what was going to happen. I still would have done the surgery, of course, because like everyone else, nothing else had worked. I hope to see more, maybe moderated discussion on all of this so that people can be prepared.

I'm just so relieved to know that I am not the only one with major fatigue and weakness :-)

Hey that's what sleeve sisters are for :-) luv u 2!

At first I felt like I was the only one who was having so much trouble. You read so much about 'loving the sleeve', lost 20, 30 pounds in no time etc. etc.

I had no trouble keeping the liquid down but it definitely didn't stay in me. And at the end of the first week I couldn't bear the thought of another week of Water and chicken broth. I had elimated most everything else from my diet in my Quest to stop the liquid in/liquid out. Add to that the fact that I hadn't lost an ounce. I was depressed, hungry and seriously feeling I had made a huge mistake.

I am now two weeks out and feeling a little better. I spoke with my consultant and they put me on a different diet. It made it easier for me to take in some Protein and liquid. They also told me to add Vitamin B12 in addition to my regular Vitamins. I still have trouble getting in enough Protein and my calories each day run between 500 - 700. And I am happy to say that I am down about 13 pounds.

I do feel hungry and sometimes wish I could eat more, but I do believe this is a transition time and in the next couple of months things will get better. I'm also sure that as I lose weight I will embrace my sleeve even more.

Take care and I wish you all best.

OH MY GOSH!! I AM SO SORRY YOU ALL ARE GOING THRU THIS

I HATE TO THROW UP!!

I AM NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO BEING SICK.

I DONT KNOW IF I WILL BE ABLE TO HANDLE ALL THE PAIN AND SICKNESS, MAYBE I SHOULDNT GET THE SURGERY

MAYBE THE PLICATION WOULD BE BETTER I DONT KNOW

GEEZE WHAT SHOULD I DO?

ms lisa, not everyone has the same reactions. I read a lot on here before my surgery and saw mixed stories about post-op. I saw the ones that had horrible reactions, and I saw the ones that had an easy time. I just think we're all different, and it's good to know what everyone's been through.

Pamela:

Thanks you for your story. My surgeon has actually tried to talk me out of the sleeve. He says gastric bypass, while having more long term

issues, is a much "gentler" surgery and he sees about 75% less nausea and much shorter term fatigue. This is pretty obvious to me since I

started attending the pre-surgery support meetings. The Gastric By pass folks are there the week after their surgeries. The sleeve people

miss at least one meeting, sometimes even the meeting of the second month!

Can I ask for a detailed answer? As in graphic please. Not just your experience but anyone else who wants to chime in. Is this nausea the same

as having a stomach flu? Or is it different? The dietitian told me it was different. You feel bad, you are queezy but when you actually vomit it's

not as violent as a flu or food poisoning situation. Would you agree or disagree with that statement?

Secondly, was it pretty much non stop? Or did it come and go in waves?

Thirdly, and most importantly, were you taking the anti nausea meds? If so, were they helping none?

I'm set for 10/18. I start my all liquid tomorrow and I am turning into a wreck quickly. I am ALREADY feeling sick to my stomach. I am so

anxious I've not been able to enjoy any "last meals". I went to my favorite salad bar today. I love salad and I hate that it will have to

be out of my life for a while. Well, I ate one small plate (they actually serve it on salad plates) and that was it. I actually got nervous because

I was feeling to queezy and the woman was not bringing my check. I finally left cash on the table and hit the door. This does not bode

well for me I think. To be honest, I am very angry at the surgeon for telling me this and trying to change my mind on the surgery. I

think ignorance would have been bliss.

BTW, the one thing I've been told my multiple people is that how tight you are sleeved relates strongly to the level of sickness. If you

can easily drink your liquids by the end of 1 week, you will pull out of any nausea quickly. But if you are sleeved so tight that you are

still fighting to get liquids in, your stomach is struggling more. If the doctor hits that perfect sweet spot on the sleeve, you

will be a very happy camper. Makes sense to me.

Thanks.

Pamela:

Thanks you for your story. My surgeon has actually tried to talk me out of the sleeve. He says gastric bypass, while having more long term

issues, is a much "gentler" surgery and he sees about 75% less nausea and much shorter term fatigue. This is pretty obvious to me since I

started attending the pre-surgery support meetings. The Gastric By pass folks are there the week after their surgeries. The sleeve people

miss at least one meeting, sometimes even the meeting of the second month!

Can I ask for a detailed answer? As in graphic please. Not just your experience but anyone else who wants to chime in. Is this nausea the same

as having a stomach flu? Or is it different? The dietitian told me it was different. You feel bad, you are queezy but when you actually vomit it's

not as violent as a flu or food poisoning situation. Would you agree or disagree with that statement?

Secondly, was it pretty much non stop? Or did it come and go in waves?

Thirdly, and most importantly, were you taking the anti nausea meds? If so, were they helping none?

I'm set for 10/18. I start my all liquid tomorrow and I am turning into a wreck quickly. I am ALREADY feeling sick to my stomach. I am so

anxious I've not been able to enjoy any "last meals". I went to my favorite salad bar today. I love salad and I hate that it will have to

be out of my life for a while. Well, I ate one small plate (they actually serve it on salad plates) and that was it. I actually got nervous because

I was feeling to queezy and the woman was not bringing my check. I finally left cash on the table and hit the door. This does not bode

well for me I think. To be honest, I am very angry at the surgeon for telling me this and trying to change my mind on the surgery. I

think ignorance would have been bliss.

BTW, the one thing I've been told my multiple people is that how tight you are sleeved relates strongly to the level of sickness. If you

can easily drink your liquids by the end of 1 week, you will pull out of any nausea quickly. But if you are sleeved so tight that you are

still fighting to get liquids in, your stomach is struggling more. If the doctor hits that perfect sweet spot on the sleeve, you

will be a very happy camper. Makes sense to me.

Thanks.

1-4-Ignorance is not bliss. You need to know what you are getting into. Let me try to address your questions. Keep in mind, there is no one size fits all. Everyone is different.

Is this nausea the same as having a stomach flu? Or is it different? The dietitian told me it was different. You feel bad, you are queezy but when you actually vomit it's

not as violent as a flu or food poisoning situation. Would you agree or disagree with that statement? It is more like motion sickness to me. I never vomited from it (there was nothing in my stomoach), but I have had dry heaves.

Secondly, was it pretty much non stop? Or did it come and go in waves? Waves. I have fold it stimulated by drinking something cold. Room temp keeps it at bay.

Thirdly, and most importantly, were you taking the anti nausea meds? If so, were they helping none? Not since I left the hospital. I would categorize it as bad enough to require medication

Just plan on being in some level of discomfort for a week. I am two weeks out and have absolutely no pain and nausea only when I drink too fast and it is cold-so I try not to do that :blink: Actually what has had the most impact on me is the extreme fatigue I feel. That I just wasn't prepared for.

1-4: I pretty much agree with Cherice - it's like awful motion sickness and you can't get off the boat. They tried every type of nausea meds while I was in the hospital and the only one that worked was one that was a pretty heavy duty steriod (can't remember what it was called) and the doc said he couldn't keep me on it for long because of what it was. When I stopped taking it I actually had withdrawals big time. Didn't know what was happening to me when I was waking up drenched in bed and shaking like crazy and freezing cold. Doc said it was withdrawals - wow! after only a few days but I guess it was pretty heavy duty as they were trying everything to help my nausea.

Never threw up because there was nothing in there but had the dry heaves twice while in the hospital.

Right now I am kind of keeping the nausea under control with meds. But when my stomach gets empty I get nauseous and have to sip something. First thing in the morning is the worst so I get up, drink some Protein drink and then go back to bed.

Yesterday, Day 9, I had part of the day that I really felt good. I thought that was a good sign. If I can get just a little bit of time each day I know it will get better. It's definitely been the ride of my life!

I hope with each passing day your recovery improves. Nausea is absolutely horrible. I suffered from extreme nausea and the only drug that truly worked was Zofran. I also went to drinking regular Gatorade for the electrolytes, and sugar content for a couple of weeks because water/crystal light/broth just wasn't cutting it. I really struggled with getting in Protein so my recovery time was extensive. The fatigue really took a toll on me, and I napped a lot. I also had complications so I can't really say that it was a "normal" recovery. I really hope you feel better soon chickee! ! !

I had an attractive girl laughing and having fun last night, but she wouldn't touch me cause apparently I'm physically repulsive.

I'll take all the pain/suffering that you endured, plus a kick in the crotch to lose 100lbs. No problemo. And I won't even complain about it. Just get this weight off...