Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

What happens to the staples?

Views
Started by RolliPolli, Jul 15, 2010 7:44 PM
16 replies to this topic
16 replies to this topic

RolliPolli

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Height: 5 feet 6 inches
  • Current Weight: 251 lbs
  • BMI: 40.5
Posted July 15, 2010 - 7:44 PM

Ok Sleevers I am having a problem understanding what happens to the staples after being in th body for long periods of time. Does the stomach heal? If so, why cant dissolvable sutures be used, If the stomach does heal, does it grow scar tissue around the staples and close completely, does the body ever reject the staples, and how long can i live with these foreign objests (staples) in me?:thumbup:

sanama

Intermediate Member

Posted July 15, 2010 - 7:50 PM

That's a great question. I would like to know the answer as well. My doctor also mentioned that I will not be able to take Advil or any inflamatory medicine.

Tiffykins

Believes in the Sleeve

• My Blogs
Posted July 15, 2010 - 8:11 PM

Titanium staples and other surgical implants are the most common and most tolerated world wide.

The stomach tissue heals completely around the staples and they are not visible. I've flown, and been scanned with military grade metal detectors several times without every setting any of them off. I also have 2 titanium large screws in my left knee that have been in there for the last 17 years without issue.

Suturing tissue can not give the same closure, and seamless healing process that stapling gives. Plus, there are usually three tiny rows of staples in the stapler that are shot simultaneously into the tissue.

My dad has had knee surgeries, pins, and other titanium implants for decades upon decades without issue.

I actually post pictures of the inside of my sleeve. If you aren't squeamish, check out youtube.com for the actual surgery videos. If you'd like I can share my pictures with you so you can see what a sleeve looks like at 8 months out. I had my gallbladder removed at 8 months post-op, and my surgeon decided to scope me at the same time.

sanama

Intermediate Member

Posted July 15, 2010 - 8:20 PM

Thanks Tiffykins

does the stomach regain its original size ever?

Swiftflow

Guru in Training

• My Blogs
Posted July 16, 2010 - 11:53 AM

The stomach will never regain its original size with the sleeve, the part of the stomach that is removed (80% or more of the stomach) is the stretchier part, but the remaining stomach will have minimal stretchability--at about 1 year post-op you will probably be at the maximum size of the new stomach just able to hold a few ounces of food.

On the staples issue-Titanium staples have been used for years in many surgeries, they are not new to the sleeve and they will far outlast the human lifespan.

Edited by Swiftflow, July 16, 2010 - 11:58 AM.

Dansha

SLEEVE LOVER

• My Blogs
Posted July 16, 2010 - 12:38 PM

Great question. Excellent answers.

SouthernSleever

Bariatric Master

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
  • Surgery Date: Oct 2010
  • Starting Weight: 276 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 143 lbs
  • Current Weight: 133 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 150 lbs
  • BMI: 21.5
Posted July 16, 2010 - 1:20 PM

I have serveral pins in my ankle and i've never had a problem, infact my bones grew over the pins.

sanama

Intermediate Member

Posted July 16, 2010 - 4:36 PM

Thanks to all. Tiffykins yes i would like to see your pics after 8 month sleeve.

Swiftflow, I saw your U-tube video and you have done amazingly well. Thanks for sharing.

RolliPolli

• Current Weight: 251 lbs
  • BMI: 40.5
Posted July 17, 2010 - 7:50 PM

Yes, thanks to all for all the wonderful input! It has all been helpfull!

Tiffykins

Believes in the Sleeve

• My Blogs
Posted July 17, 2010 - 9:29 PM

My stomach holds the same amount of food right now at 13 months out that it did at my 8 month gallbladder removal. My surgeon believes my stomach is at full capacity. There is not enough tissue left to stretch, and the part that remains is not as stretchy as the fundus that is removed.

The actual staple line:
Posted Image

Inside of the sleeve looking down from the bottom of the esophagus(imagine looking down into a cylinder).
Posted Image

Hope these help ! ! !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Nov 21
    Jonathan Blue

Keep an eye out on my blog later this evening. Tonight's FRIDAY FOOD FIX...

Show comments (2)
View All Updates

Trending Topics

Topics with No Reply