Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Go over to the Lap Band board and dare to mention the sleeve. If you post the stats and long term complications... just the facts, mind you - you are told that you are a band basher and band hater.

I think a lot of noobs only research the good about the band because they so much want the least invasive procedure and they con themselves into thinking it will work. When you post the facts it scares them. My opinion only. The vets with problems (especially self pay folks) are kicking themselves for not getting a sleeve and sometimes they get pretty defensive.

At first I went through the "kicking myself stage" for not getting sleeved to begin with but I quickly got over it. There were no long term stats on the sleeve and we had no way to really research it just 2.5 years ago. That isn't true today but it was then.

Today there is no excuse for not researching. All you have to do is put WLS in Google and you get a wealth of information on all surgery types. But people are convinced "least invasive" is safer long term than more invasive.

That was kind of happening on our VSG forum on lapbandtalk. Alot of us had bad things to say about the band BECAUSE A LOT OF US ARE REVISIONS and did not have good experiences...thus we vented about it. But the bandsters still came to our forum and basically tried to stop us from saying anything negative.

I am so glad we have this forum now.

I remember after being banded about 6 months, I used to go to the boards grasping at straws, hoping that someone would give me some advice to make this thing that I had paid for work for me. That is when I first started hearing and reading about the VSG. I was one of those who said, "But I don't want 80% of my stomach removed!" I even went so far as to email Dr Curry and ask him about the lapband vs VSG. He basically told me he would not recommend VSG....

Fast forward: post VSG I am 20# away from goal and I haven't even reached the 3 month mark yet. I don't miss my removed stomach and am glad it's gone....and Dr Curry is doing VSGs on anybody who signs up with him.

That was kind of happening on our VSG forum on lapbandtalk. Alot of us had bad things to say about the band BECAUSE A LOT OF US ARE REVISIONS and did not have good experiences...thus we vented about it. But the bandsters still came to our forum and basically tried to stop us from saying anything negative.

I am so glad we have this forum now.

I remember after being banded about 6 months, I used to go to the boards grasping at straws, hoping that someone would give me some advice to make this thing that I had paid for work for me. That is when I first started hearing and reading about the VSG. I was one of those who said, "But I don't want 80% of my stomach removed!" I even went so far as to email Dr Curry and ask him about the lapband vs VSG. He basically told me he would not recommend VSG....

Fast forward: post VSG I am 20# away from goal and I haven't even reached the 3 month mark yet. I don't miss my removed stomach and am glad it's gone....and Dr Curry is doing VSGs on anybody who signs up with him.

I know exactly what you are talking about hoping someone would give you an answer as to what was wrong and how to fix it. I got so tired of people telling me I wasn't following some magical set of rules. I WAS following them, I WAS doing every single thing I was supposed to. I remember puking and sliming one day on a room temp Protein shake made with Water instead of milk so it was thinner. I couldn't get it down. I was sitting there in tears trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I had no idea.

I don't miss those days, not even a little. I'm sleeved, I'm at goal, I've been at goal for a long time. Life is good.

I still have bouts of depression or feelings of being ovewhelmed with working full time and taking care of 9 children...... and I want to EAT!!! but I can't so it stresses me out, I need something to put that desire to eat towards and I think exercise would be a good outlett, but I am so busy to make time for myself!

So with me, that desire to eat when I'm upset or stressed is still there! I just can't follow through on it or I feel sick!!!

I can't even imagine taking care of 9 kids. My heart goes out to you.

You have really accomplished a lot already. Losing so much weight while taking care of 9 children is not easy. I always feel so lucky that I don't have to cook for anyone or keep food in the house that I can't eat but other people want.

How old are your kids?

Alexandra -16 - biological

Nycole 16- adopted

Bailey 14- biological

Derrick 5- adopted

Daesahwn 4- adopted

Rockwell- 4 biological

Myrabella- 2 biological

and my 2 newest additions are my cousin's kids have been placed with me since January ages 1,3. :)

Not if the reason is physiological IMO.

What I see is that some people are overweight mostly through being very hungry or not having a strong satiety sensor. This leads to yo-yo dieting, which leads to be being obese and (sometimes) having an unhealthy relationship with food. For these people, WLS is usually enough. They now aren't hungry all the time and they feel satisfied. They weren't truly addicted or had a compulsion triggered by emotions. So they adjust to the new reality and thrive.

I exercise 7.0 hours a week and I'm working on doing it every morning and every night. But I am not addicted to exercise. It's my hobby and I have goals and I am doing what I need to to meet my goals. If I overdo it one day, I take it easy or take off the next day. If something comes up and I can't make a scheduled session -- like my son's thesis defense on Thurs. night, I'll try to make it up, but I won't go nuts to make it up and I won't sacrifice his happiness for it. So it's not an addiction, IMO.

This is how I experienced weight loss. I just never had a strong satiety sensor, I never got a signal to stop eating, and I liked doing it, so I did it a lot. I wasnt inappopropriately hungry, in fact I wasnt any hungrier than I am now.

And people, usually nutjobs on LBT have called me obsessive about exercise, but sheesh, I go out most days for a 40 minutes to an hour run. I like doing it. Like you, if I have to miss a session, which does happen reasonably often, I eather plan around it and head out early morning, or I just miss it. Its no biggie. In fact these days, much as I like it, in the interest of the long term health of my knees, ankles and hips, I do the least I can to maintain my weight. I did get a tab obsessed with running enormous distances for a while there, I did my half marathon and now I'll probably never run more than 10K again. The risks and downsides to me outweigh the benefits, I've proved I could do it now I have no need to grind my knees to cartiledge to prove I can do it again. I dont need to do it to lose weight. I just want to stay fit and healthy weight. I'd call that a healthy but sensible dedication to a health promoting practice.

Also, the people who like to call you obessive for doing that are generally not fit themselves. They would spontaneously combust or barf up a lung from trying to run 10km - they dont understand that to me, to head out for a 10km run is EASIER than for someone 300lb to do a brisk walk. Its not taxing, I dont puff and pant, it feels good!

I never experienced any transfer addition - no shopping compulsion, no switching to ice cream or alchohol etc. And I agree, I think the term "addiction" is misused.

Edited by Jachut

Alexandra -16 - biological

Nycole 16- adopted

Bailey 14- biological

Derrick 5- adopted

Daesahwn 4- adopted

Rockwell- 4 biological

Myrabella- 2 biological

and my 2 newest additions are my cousin's kids have been placed with me since January ages 1,3. :)

Thank GOD He put people on earth like you ... I wouldn't have the patience for 9 children ... when my kids were little and went to a private sitter, she had so many kids and her house was immaculate, lunch was at a certain time, nap at a certain time, Snacks at a certain time and all the kids were happy and loved her to death ... she and I are best friends and my children are now 26 and 30 ... and she's STILL doing it!!! There is definitely a special place in heaven for people like you... and her

And I was talking to Rosebud2 today and we were saying how lucky we are we don't have children or others to have to cook for ... my fiance is totally capable of fending for himself. The only rule I had to establish during my recovery in the hospital is that he absolutely CANNOT bring any ice cream into the house ... that is the one thing that even if I was never hungry, I would eat ... actually frozen yogurt because I am lactose intolerant, but you get the drift!

Hang in there and keep at it ... and as for exercise, why not take the older ones outside while the younger ones are napping and play some kickball or basketball or something that will help your stress and get you moving a bit? Just a thought.

I tried frozen yogurt while I was in Arizona at the mall. Bad idea. It didn't make me sit on the toilet all evening like ice cream does, but I don't know what is worse. I had the worse gas pains of my entire life. I was doubled over and tooting these 5 minute long toots.

I have concluded it's not sugar, it's milk products. I have eaten chocolates with no problem. This is a good thing for me. I look at Baskin and Robbins and Dairy Queen and feel sick.

I tried frozen yogurt while I was in Arizona at the mall. Bad idea. It didn't make me sit on the toilet all evening like ice cream does, but I don't know what is worse. I had the worse gas pains of my entire life. I was doubled over and tooting these 5 minute long toots.

I have concluded it's not sugar, it's milk products. I have eaten chocolates with no problem. This is a good thing for me. I look at Baskin and Robbins and Dairy Queen and feel sick.

Well that's a positive thing in my opinion ... now if I can look at Golden Spoon Frozen Yogurt and feel that way ... I'll be happy too ... and keep my taste for dark chocolate.

yeah, for some strange reason I thought frozen yogurt would have a different reaction than ice cream. It was different all right, but definitely not better. I have even tried

taking lactaid before eating these things and it's a no go. I hope it's this way forever.

You know the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Call me insane, but I think I have finally learned my lesson and won't be trying ice cream or frozen yogurt for a very long time.

And people, usually nutjobs on LBT have called me obsessive about exercise,

Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

:biggrin0:

You have six children under five??? Girl, you deserve a medal. AND you are going through this recovery process??? You are a saint.

I agree with RB2 -- you'd find me in a corner somewhere going babababababa if I was in that position.:biggrin0:

Actually I'm not sure what is worse. Six under five or three teenagers at once. ;-)

This is true -- my poor mom had 5 teenagers at once ... I'm not sure how she survived (or how we ended up living -- lol)