Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

a question on lap band removal

Hi I don't have anything bad to say about the lapband I was a poster child for them as far as having one. I stop seeing my WLC because of being billed for fills I never got and it got to the point that they sent me a letter saying they would no longer see me............. I have a question about it getting removed if it has to come out do you have to have a weight loss surgeon to do it or can any dr remove it? The reason I am asking is yesterday I got my CT report from my cancer dr and he said it had moved up alot and he felt it needed to be removed right away........... I got my band in 09 lost 150 lbs and have kept it off all this time with only 4 cc in my 10 cc band. I have had some problems with pb's the last few months but blamed it on stress and not being careful when eating... The dr that did this was 4 hours away and that isn't something I can do at this time if they would see me as I am not sure they would even do that after all the problem I caused over the charges, as I did report it to my insurance company and showed the poof. thanks for any answers.

Julia

I am so to hear you are going through these problems, however I have to be honest it will be tough to get another lap band surgeon who will be willing to remove someone else band, especially if there are complications involved due to liability issues and many surgeons just don't like to deal with other surgeons problems.

But I am sure there have to be some surgeon that will remove your band, if things get really bad and if you have insurance and if you go to the ER they must assign a lap band surgeon to remove your band.

Also you can contact some medical associations and tell them your problem and they may be able to locate and find a lap band surgeon that is willing to removed your band.

Some people go to Mexico to get their bands removed, if you are cash pay it's far less expensive, I believe the cash pay in the US will cost anywhere between $15,000 to over $80,000 depending on complications, where you live and what has to be done.

If you owe your current surgeon money, I guess that would be a toss up if they will help you, some surgeons will still help you out if you call and explain the situation, but some surgeons have their "nursing staff" to do the dirty work and say you have to pay outstanding bills before they can help you.

And no, not ANY surgeon can remove a lap band, it actually takes more skill in removing the band than installing because sometimes they have to carefully and methodically "dig it out" and there is scare tissue/adhesion's involved and sometimes the port is very deep, so no -- any general surgeon cannot remove a lap band, IT MUST be a lap band surgeon.

Bariatric surgery is a specialized skill and no one but a lap band surgeon can remove your band.

I hope things work our for you.

Thank you for your answer. I don't owe them any money I was just going by the letter I got after all the billing. I will call them and see what they say. again thanks for the answers.

Thank you for your answer. I don't owe them any money I was just going by the letter I got after all the billing. I will call them and see what they say. again thanks for the answers.

If that is the case, you should not have a problem, I am sure your surgeon will see you especially in these circumstances, and probably talk to them and if they tell you, you have a balance maybe you can work out some payment plan with them.

Again I hope things work out.

Hi I don't have anything bad to say about the lapband I was a poster child for them as far as having one. I stop seeing my WLC because of being billed for fills I never got and it got to the point that they sent me a letter saying they would no longer see me............. I have a question about it getting removed if it has to come out do you have to have a weight loss surgeon to do it or can any dr remove it? The reason I am asking is yesterday I got my CT report from my cancer dr and he said it had moved up alot and he felt it needed to be removed right away........... I got my band in 09 lost 150 lbs and have kept it off all this time with only 4 cc in my 10 cc band. I have had some problems with pb's the last few months but blamed it on stress and not being careful when eating... The dr that did this was 4 hours away and that isn't something I can do at this time if they would see me as I am not sure they would even do that after all the problem I caused over the charges, as I did report it to my insurance company and showed the poof. thanks for any answers.

Julia

There are many general surgeons who have surgical experience with WLS. Though it many not be a best case scenario, there are other qualified surgeons who can remove a band.

When I began having some complications after our move, I contacted a surgeon recommended to me by my bariatric surgeon. He is a general surgeon who does WLS, and has experience with placing bands. I needed to have my band unfilled, which he did. He also gave me the option to have him remove it.

Do some research. If your original doctor is not cooperative, you should have other options.

I'm very sorry you are experiencing these challenges.

Best wishes...

I'm sorry you are experiencing these issues and will say a prayer for you.

Julia

HI!

Im sorry to hear you are having problems.

I recently had my lap band removed by a general surgeon who does lots of weight loss surgery.

However, he is a different surgeon than the one who put it IN.

I believe, in your case, it may be a medical necessity to have it removed (according to what your doctor said), so any ethical surgeon SHOULD agree to remove it.

I had some trouble with my original surgeon. I had some significant and puzzling complications that he claimed were not caused by the band, so he would not investigate. I went so several other doctors (gastrointerologist, ear, nose, and throat, ETC) trying to figure out what was going on. I had many tests.

I finally sent all my history to a surgeon who has his own general surgery practice as well as being the director of a weight loss center. He considered it as medically necessary to take it out -- forget about all the other unfortunate treatment from the other surgeon.

So this second surgeon removed it.

I hope this helps you to settle down and to make your decision. Hopefully there are good general surgeons in your area---or ask the doctor who said it should come out for the name of a good surgeon. I personally would NOT return to the surgeon who put your band in.

~hiddn