Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food sensitivites and Band Removal

HI

For those of you who had your band removed, has anyone noticed a change in food sensitivities?

I have a Lap Band, since July 2010, and developed an intolerance to lactose and gluten after getting the band implanted.

I will be having the band removed and am wondering if these food intolerances might clear up as I will have my entire stomach digesting the food at the same time.

Has anyone had this experience after band removal?

Thank you for any insights you want to share!

I have high hopes :)

~hiddn

HI

For those of you who had your band removed' date=' has anyone noticed a change in food sensitivities?

I have a Lap Band, since July 2010, and developed an intolerance to lactose and gluten after getting the band implanted.

I will be having the band removed and am wondering if these food intolerances might clear up as I will have my entire stomach digesting the food at the same time.

Has anyone had this experience after band removal?

Thank you for any insights you want to share!

I have high hopes :)

~hiddn[/quote']

Are you sure it's from the band? Did your doctor recommend removal or is it you requesting removal?

I've read that several people can't tolerate bread but didn't have the band removed. Is your lactose intolerance causing you to throw up? I would think you may have been lactose intolerant all along and perhaps the band exasperated it?

Are you revising to the sleeve or just having the band removed?

I have never personally heard of food intolerances being related to the band. The band itself does not alter the composition of your stomach, so I would assume that it would not make you intolerant to certain foods that you weren't ALREADY prone to be intolerant too.

My partner, who is not banded, has developed gluten and lactose intolerances over the last couple of years, at 41 years of age, and imo, that is more related to the changes in the way that wheat is grown (GMO) and milk is processed (permeates etc) than his body changing. If you have intolerances, these may be a more likely cause than the band, imo. But that's my non-medical opinion.

Are you sure it's from the band? Did your doctor recommend removal or is it you requesting removal?

I've read that several people can't tolerate bread but didn't have the band removed. Is your lactose intolerance causing you to throw up? I would think you may have been lactose intolerant all along and perhaps the band exasperated it?

Are you revising to the sleeve or just having the band removed?

HI

I don't know why the food intolerances started, though I think part of the lactose intolerance was because I bombarded my body with milk products in an effort to get enough Protein. With the gluten, I know our foods have been inundated with GMOs which is raising the number of people who are becoming gluten intolerant--which is why Im thinking if I have my entire stomach digesting food at once, maybe the impact of GMOs will lesson somewhat. Just a hope I have! Not based on anything I've heard or read.

The reasons I will have my band removed are that I have been miserable for 3 years, ever since it was implanted. I've had pain and discomfort all along. Now my band has a leak and there is no Fluid in it.

My new surgeon recommends removal. He might also recommend revision when I see him this week, but I will not revise.

Thank you for your reply to my post!

~hiddn

I have never personally heard of food intolerances being related to the band. The band itself does not alter the composition of your stomach, so I would assume that it would not make you intolerant to certain foods that you weren't ALREADY prone to be intolerant too.

My partner, who is not banded, has developed gluten and lactose intolerances over the last couple of years, at 41 years of age, and imo, that is more related to the changes in the way that wheat is grown (GMO) and milk is processed (permeates etc) than his body changing. If you have intolerances, these may be a more likely cause than the band, imo. But that's my non-medical opinion.

Hi. Your reply makes sense, but is not what I had hoped for!

I completely agree with you about the GMOs. So many more people now have gluten intolerance and it can be directly traced back to the prevalence of GMOs in our food supply.

I am hoping my body will feel much better when the band is out. It has never settled down and I have always felt the band in there. I'll be introducing regular food back in slowly and at some point I will re-introduce small amounts of food containing gluten. We'll see how it goes!

Thank you for your sound opinion about gluten and diary.

Wow, your BMI is impressive! Congratulations!

~hiddn