Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to have my band removed :(

Had my removal surgery this morning. Everything went really well. Hardly any pain at all, no nausea, thank goodness! Have to spend one night tho......

Had my removal surgery this morning. Everything went really well. Hardly any pain at all, no nausea, thank goodness! Have to spend one night tho......

Yay! Im so happy for you! Thank you for letting us know. Glad it went really well with hardly any pain. I hope you'll keep posting about what it's like post-band!

I see a new surgeon tomorrow to arrange taking my band out.

~hiddn

Good luck with your band removal.. Hope yours goes as well as mine...I'm wondering what it's gonna feel like to have my old appetite back, so nervous about re-gaining! Gonna try really hard, still gonna make good choices and eat slowly, like I did pre-op.

Good luck with your band removal.. Hope yours goes as well as mine...I'm wondering what it's gonna feel like to have my old appetite back, so nervous about re-gaining! Gonna try really hard, still gonna make good choices and eat slowly, like I did pre-op.

Thank you!

You sound good! I find that having lost 80 pounds I can exercise a lot more easily, so Im hoping that when the band is out and I feel good again, I'll be able to exercise to keep weight off. Hopefully my diet will have me losing weight, as well. Im scared about the same things you are. I love being at this lower weight and hope that continues to motivate me. I just know that in the past, emotionally I can get to a point of "I don't care" - so I still need to adress what brings that on.

Thank you for sharing from the point of having problems with the band thru the removal! You have been really helpful to me.

Keep going in the positive direction and don't let anything stop you!

~hiddn

Hi again!

My surgery is scheduled for Monday Sept 16th! Band Removal. Im excited about it today -- but will probably get nervous the closer the date gets.

How are you doing? What are you able to eat? Are you feeling significantly better than with the band?

Thank you for sharing your experience!

~hiddn

Hey! Glad you got a surgery date. I doing really well, I can actually drink Water first thing in the morning and it goes all the way down! Can also swallow my meds again. Still somewhat sore, but not near as bad as getting the band put in. The gas pains are not as bad either.

I had to eat full liquids for 2 days, then puréed foods for 2 days then mushies for 2 days. I think I'm gonna stick with Soups and stuff for the puréed stage and then to mushies....food is going down really well!

Hey! Glad you got a surgery date. I doing really well, I can actually drink Water first thing in the morning and it goes all the way down! Can also swallow my meds again. Still somewhat sore, but not near as bad as getting the band put in. The gas pains are not as bad either.

Im glad you're doing well!!! My doctor is estimating I can return to work (clerical) in 1 week. From your experience, does that sound reasonable?

My surgery is on a Monday and I would like to take a week and then return to work on Wednesday. I always have Fri, Sat, Sun off from work, so I'd just work Wed and Thurs then have 3 days to relax and assess.

Are you eating?

My surgeon didn't give me any special pre-surgery diet -- just no food or Water from midnight on. My surgery is at 1:30pm :(

After surgery the directions say to go back to normal eating -- but these seem to be a standard sheet they hand to everyone. I don't plan to eat normally! I will have smooth Soups and Protein drinks, I think. Just ease back in.

Are you glad you had the band taken out? Can you do regular activities and drive already?

Thank you again for sharing! I live alone, so want to be prepared in every way possible.

~hiddn

My surgery was on a Monday also. I had to spend the night though. I think so my insurance would pay for it. Doc said I had a lot of scar tissue on the back side of my band that could have been causing the spasms.

I'm not going back to work (clerical also) until Tuesday after Labor Day. I guess I could have gone back sooner, but I don't know....still a little weak. In the hospital I could only have ice chips, then after I got home full liquids for two days, puréed for two days and mushies for two days. After that food as tolerated.

I'm glad right now I got it out because I feel so much better!

My surgery was on a Monday also. I had to spend the night though. I think so my insurance would pay for it. Doc said I had a lot of scar tissue on the back side of my band that could have been causing the spasms.

I'm not going back to work (clerical also) until Tuesday after Labor Day. I guess I could have gone back sooner, but I don't know....still a little weak. In the hospital I could only have ice chips, then after I got home full liquids for two days, puréed for two days and mushies for two days. After that food as tolerated.

I'm glad right now I got it out because I feel so much better!

I wonder why there was scar tissue especially on the back of the band?

My surgeon said he would talk to me before surgery (but I wont remember) and also after surgery (but I wont remember)...do you remember talking with your surgeon? Or did you have a follow up appointment already?

I just want to be done. Sept 16th seems so far away right now.

Im glad you feel so much better now!! What a relief! We are the same height, but I am now at the weight you started from. I have a ways to go on my own.

Has your surgeon suggested a specific diet to follow?

Mine suggested doing a modified Mediterranean diet. He also suggested looking up Ketogenics.He's had a lot of success with metabolic stuff -- people follow what he says and end up not wanting weight loss surgery; they are losing the weight on their own!

I am grateful for the chance to begin again and I bet you are, too.

Hang in there! You are well on your way!

~hiddn

I wonder why there was scar tissue especially on the back of the band?

My surgeon said he would talk to me before surgery (but I wont remember) and also after surgery (but I wont remember)...do you remember talking with your surgeon? Or did you have a follow up appointment already?

I just want to be done. Sept 16th seems so far away right now.

Im glad you feel so much better now!! What a relief! We are the same height' date=' but I am now at the weight you started from. I have a ways to go on my own.

Has your surgeon suggested a specific diet to follow?

Mine suggested doing a modified Mediterranean diet. He also suggested looking up Ketogenics.He's had a lot of success with metabolic stuff -- people follow what he says and end up not wanting weight loss surgery; they are losing the weight on their own!

I am grateful for the chance to begin again and I bet you are, too.

Hang in there! You are well on your way!

~hiddn[/quote']

I don't know why scar tissue was where it was, surgeon didn't say, all I know when something was stuck pretty bad it would always hurt in my back, kinda like I was feeling it finally going through and it hurt!

Got to talk to the PA before surgery, didn't see the surgeon until he released me...my husband talked to him after surgery and told me what he said. Some one will be with you, right? They gave me something to relax me right before taking me to the OR. All I remember is the bright lights.....which is totally fine with me, cause I'm a big baby, too! The worst part for me is getting the IV, they had to try 3 times! I was not happy about that......

I'm glad it's over, food is going down real easy now, had chili Beans for dinner. I think my stomach has shrunk, I ate about as much as with the band. Hope it stays that way, but I know it won't.

My doctor hasn't suggested a diet yet, I go for a post-op appt on Sept 11...they do have a program for people that has not had surgery..... I don't know, I think it's diet pills and stuff like that. Been there, done that! I wish you the best of luck on your journey after the band, I know it's gonna be difficult, I know our appetites are gonna come back full force..... Don't know much about the Mediterranean or Ketogenics...I'll have to look that up. I would love to lose it on my own. I'd really just like to stay where I'm at, that's difficult too.

Best of luck to you! Sincerely, Ellen

I don't know why scar tissue was where it was, surgeon didn't say, all I know when something was stuck pretty bad it would always hurt in my back, kinda like I was feeling it finally going through and it hurt!

Got to talk to the PA before surgery, didn't see the surgeon until he released me...my husband talked to him after surgery and told me what he said. Some one will be with you, right? They gave me something to relax me right before taking me to the OR. All I remember is the bright lights.....which is totally fine with me, cause I'm a big baby, too! The worst part for me is getting the IV, they had to try 3 times! I was not happy about that......

I'm glad it's over, food is going down real easy now, had chili Beans for dinner. I think my stomach has shrunk, I ate about as much as with the band. Hope it stays that way, but I know it won't.

My doctor hasn't suggested a diet yet, I go for a post-op appt on Sept 11...they do have a program for people that has not had surgery..... I don't know, I think it's diet pills and stuff like that. Been there, done that! I wish you the best of luck on your journey after the band, I know it's gonna be difficult, I know our appetites are gonna come back full force..... Don't know much about the Mediterranean or Ketogenics...I'll have to look that up. I would love to lose it on my own. I'd really just like to stay where I'm at, that's difficult too.

Best of luck to you! Sincerely, Ellen

Hi Ellen!

How are you feeling today? Do you feel like you are healing pretty fast?

I got a letter from my doctor today taking me off work from Sept 16th thru Oct. 2nd (when I will see him)...so back to work on Oct 3rd if all is well.

I have a friend who will drive me down for the operation. It's a little over an hour away. I'll spend the night and my friend will come back the next day to get me. So there won't be anyone there right after surgery unless my friend decides to stay.

How is your appetite? Sounds like you are moving right along with getting to regular foods.

I bought a crock pot today! I plan to fix some easy, healthy meals. I also have a Ninja blender and make green smoothies with Protein powder in them. It's a good way to get some fresh vegetables in.

I hope we can both deal with whatever comes up appetite and cravings-wise.

I am also going to be assessed for thyroid issues. I will see a doctor who prescribes T-3 alone, instead of the combo of T-3/T-4. Apparently some people are very successful taking T-3 alone in terms of weight loss.

How many days did you end up taking pain meds? I filled my prescription today -- I have Percosett. I have some liquid Tylenol here, too. So Im all set.

Are you still feeling weak? I am hoping to feel like walking within a few days of surgery. There is a beautiful trail I like to walk that is about 1 mile long, shady and by a creek part way. I hope to get in the habit of walking a mile or so every day.

Do you have any regrets? I don't regret having the lap band. I think it has served it's purpose. I wish I had sought the opinion of a different lap band surgeon early on, when the symptoms first appeared and my own surgeon did not respond effectively. But that is the only regret I have.

I hope you're doing well and enjoying life!!!

~hiddn