Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Are Your Reasons For Getting The Band?

So... I'm having trouble this week. My husband and I have been looking into the band for almost a month. We had a consultation. I had an EGD and found out I do have a hernia. We're making progress towards surgery... but I'm having trouble remembering that I'm doing this for me.

My #1 reason - I want to have a baby. Desperately. My husband and I agreed that I needed to lose weight to have a healthy pregnancy. We've tried everything and nothing would stick. Weight Watchers, HCG, diet and exercise, Slimfast... We'd do it for a while, not see much results, get discouraged and stop.

Well, since we started down the path to the band, I've been getting comments that I've never heard before - towards me or anyone. I'm sure b/c of my size things have been said behind my back. But WOW. I didn't know people could be so cruel. And of course, it had to happen AFTER I made the steps toward something that could actually help me be healthier.

I've never had a self-esteem problem. I like me, always have. I'm not getting the band b/c I think I'm ugly or unattractive. I want to be healthy. I want to start a family with the man I love. But these remarks are so hurtful and discouraging. It's hard to remember that this is for me. That I don't need other people's approval. That I'm not trying to prove them wrong.

What's your motivation? What keeps you going? How did you fight ugly-on-the-inside people before the band? And after?

My favorite expression of screw them was helpful. I work with men who now are more open with their assessment of women's bodies when I'm around. At least they were sensitive when I was fat.

No one I told about surgery was critical of my decision. But I am insulted sometimes at the number of compliments I get about how good I look now. Wasn't I pretty before? No, as my coworker told me. I had a cute face but too chubby. Thanks man.

What an A**! I agree w/ the "screw them" expression. I need to remember that.

I am thankful mine wasn't to my face. I cry easily so it would have made it worse!

One thing that was said... a friend's boyfriend asked her "why would you want to hang out with that fat hippo instead of me?" Yes, she broke up w/ him.

So SCREW 'EM!!

Thanks for the encouragement =)

Hi.

I have a few motivations:

1. To be healthy. When I started this journey in January I weighed 230. I had surgery on May 2nd. And I lost 20 lbs Preop and 10 lbs post op.

2. Family history. My father died at 55 after numerous heart attacks and stroke. He was seriously overweight. I don't want to be like my father.

3. My family. I have a very supportive and loving husband as well as 2 sons ages 3 & 4. I want to be around for them.

4. To do things I want to do. I have an aspiration to obtain my diving certification and dive in the caribbean. I want to go camping, hiking, bike riding with my family. I want to go sky diving with my sister-in-law.

My main reason to have banding was to get healthy...I have 5 adopted young children one whom is very handicapped....and I know they will need me around for a good long time...and I want to be able to do so many things with them...:)

Hi.

I have a few motivations:

1. To be healthy. When I started this journey in January I weighed 230. I had surgery on May 2nd. And I lost 20 lbs Preop and 10 lbs post op.

2. Family history. My father died at 55 after numerous heart attacks and stroke. He was seriously overweight. I don't want to be like my father.

3. My family. I have a very supportive and loving husband as well as 2 sons ages 3 & 4. I want to be around for them.

4. To do things I want to do. I have an aspiration to obtain my diving certification and dive in the caribbean. I want to go camping, hiking, bike riding with my family. I want to go sky diving with my sister-in-law.

I would like if possible for you to tell me your fears leading up to surgery. I'm scared.

My main reason to have banding was to get healthy...I have 5 adopted young children one whom is very handicapped....and I know they will need me around for a good long time...and I want to be able to do so many things with them... :)

What fears did you have before surgery.

My main reason to have banding was to get healthy...I have 5 adopted young children one whom is very handicapped....and I know they will need me around for a good long time...and I want to be able to do so many things with them... :)

Wow, what a blessing you are to those children. Keep up the good work on your weight loss.

my motivation for the band was for a few things

1. i am studying to become a doctor of physical therapy and i felt as if my obesity would cause patients to not take me seriously

2. i am young and i missed out on countless opportunities simply because of my weight

3. i knew that there was a sexy body somewhere underneath all of that fat and i was ready to see it after 10 years of morbid obesity

4. and most importantly - for MYSELF. i could care less about what the world had to say, but my opinion of myself was so low. i didn't value or respect myself. the band was the start of a whole new me and a completely new chance at life.

5. 8 days before my surgery, my high school sweetheart and i finally rekindled our romance and started dating for the second time. i knew that i was in love and i wanted to give him the best possible me i could give him because he deserves the best. now 16 months later, we already speak of our future and children. i am glad i made the decision to get health for both myself and for my future family.

16 months, 137 pounds lost, love and success found. getting the lapband was the true beginning of my life. every aspect of my life has improved - i'm currently on the deans list while studying for my bachelors in biology, the love of my life has loved me for who i was and who i am today, i got accepted into graduate school, and for the first time in my life i feel SEXY. it has honestly been the greatest blessing of my life. when one thing falls into place, the rest follows. i wish you the best of luck <3 stay positive !

I have been morbidly obese since my teenage years. I have lost about 100 pounds 3 different times before i started this process. It seems that once i get to 100, I lose steam and get frustrated and within a year to 18 months I am back where I started if not heavier.

The band for me is both a tool to help with weight los but it is also an insurance policy that will help keep me from regaining weight in the long run.

My reasons for getting banded are to be healthy and I want to know what it feels like to be thin. I love myself and I have noticed that I am having difficulty doing somethings. I have the love of a wonderful man (42 years of marriage). Three sons, the oldest one is Autistic, our youngest son is a quad amputee from a form of meningitis and our middle son just had twin girls. The joy of being a grandmother is huge, but I have had stress in my life along the way.......everyone is in a good place now and happy it is time for ME. I have thought about banding for at least two years and I decided to make it happen.

My fears about the surgery (I am not worried about the surgery at all) are all of the unknown things along the way. What if I can't swallow, what if I can't sleep lying down, what if I throw up all the time and what if it doesn't work like all the other stuff I have tried over the years? I know in my mind that it will work but until I experience it for myself I won't know. I also have to get a physc eval (never had one) and a breathing test-don't know what that is. I wanted the surgery at the end of June (traveling before that) and I was able to arrange that easily. It is all falling into place-I just need to pass a couple more things.

My biggest reason I got the band was for my health. Aside from being morbidly obese, I also have Multiple Sclerosis. I figured I can't make the MS go away but I can make my body a heck of a lot healthier despite it. By losing weight I can also help assure I don't become diabetic, either.

Really, as scary as it sounds, I don't want to die before my time. I was afraid if I continued with an incurable disease and a BMI over 70, I wouldn't live to see my 50th birthday. I want to live to be old enough be a grandma someday.

I don't have health issues and as some would say I "only" had 50 pounds to lose, but after struggling with diets likeQuick weight loss (twice) Atkins, hcg, phentermine, Lipo dissolve shots, lipo laser, the metabolic effect you name it!! I saw a personal trainer twice a day for two years and I've run three half marathons. I'm far from lazy. I simply have a problem with occasional Portion Control that ruins the work I do on my good days. Nothing about this alteration scared me. Gaining weight at the rate I was gaining is what scared me.

My biggest reason I got the band was for my health. Aside from being morbidly obese' date=' I also have Multiple Sclerosis. I figured I can't make the MS go away but I can make my body a heck of a lot healthier despite it. By losing weight I can also help assure I don't become diabetic, either.

Really, as scary as it sounds, I don't want to die before my time. I was afraid if I continued with an incurable disease and a BMI over 70, I wouldn't live to see my 50th birthday. I want to live to be old enough be a grandma someday.[/quote']

I understand what you're going through. I have moyamoya disease, a progressive neurological disorder (also incurable). When I was diagnosed, a neurosurgeon wouldn't operate on me because I am morbidly obese (BMI 47). That experience has motivated me to try to lose this weight and live life without limitations.

Before I got sick I didn't want to get married or have children. Now, I want to have children someday and live long enough to see my children have children.

How far are you into the process? I just had my first consult yesterday. If all goes well, my surgery will probably happen before the end of the summer?