Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2002 Band, Gerd, Esophagus Issues, Slacker About Followup

Hello, I'm new to this forum, really regret not knowing it was here since I've been dealing with issues for years and procrastinating about dealing with it. SO hopeful someone here has some suggestions, guidance, reassurance and/or will kick my ass to get me moving. Some details are fuzzy, forgive those please.

Brief history: I got my band in August 2002 in Chicago, just a couple months after discovering it existed. Lost 20 pounds pre-op with excitement and restricted liquid diet. I had a hernia removed at the same time so I spent one night in the hospital and my recovery was slow. Did quite well with the band, not remembering the specific details about the weight loss timing, specific fills, etc., except I was super involved with the Bandster forums on yahoo for quite some time. Made some good friends there, did Soup nights (do they still have those?), gave away tons of clothes, even traveled to Vegas for a gathering (solo!!) and CA to visit with a group of friends. All told I probably lost almost 40 pounds post band (and AFTER the initial 20 were lost).

After a few months, maybe 8-10, I found the heartburn pretty significant. I was prescribed prevacid and advised not to eat at night, etc. DUH. Began to eat soft stuff around the band. Lots of ice cream. :-( Just hated that eating hurt so much. After about a year, maybe 18 months, I stopped "using" my band. Didn't get it filled, checked, etc. Occasionally felt it giving me some restriction, but otherwise I pretty much ignored it. Took my prevacid, suffered sort of average heartburn and pain in my esophagus, and pretty much ignored it all. Regained probably 35 of the 40 pounds I'd lost.

Carried on, dieted occasionally, life went on. Several (maybe 5) years ago, because of my age and a few other reasons, I went off my birth control pills. Since that time, with dieting, adoption of a dog who forces me to walk daily, etc., I have managed to get down about 30 pounds, and am about 30 pounds from what I'd call my goal.

HOWEVER, since going off the pill especially, I have had SERIOUS pain in my esophagus, my chest when food seems to just sit there, PBing (is that term still used? puking what was just eaten). Like the band had been magically filled. I attributed this to my menstrual cycle (sorry men) somehow being different due to being off the pill.

In the past year to two, I feel like I'm in pain pretty much all the time, 24/7, with occasional exceptions. I KNOW I need to have this looked at and dealt with, I am just so afraid that I'll learn (a) there's tissue been growing over the band/port and it'll be major surgery to take it out and/or (B) that I've done irreparable damage to my esophagus. Sometimes even Water hurts when I drink it. Sometimes breathing deeply can do it though this is really rare. Could be totally unrelated but it FEELS like I've burned a hole into my esophagus and I'm petrified of what is coming next.

The doctor who placed my band is no longer in Chicago I'm told. (He was one of the early pioneers/researchers and I have no problem with him or even the practice he created.) I have decent insurance but don't know if I should find another lapband surgeon who places to see if it should be taken out, do I look for a GI surgeon, someone unrelated to the band? Back in the day docs only operated and did maintenance with patients they had treated, finding docs to treat Mexico patients with fills even was impossible.

OK. So that's my long-winded story. I'm no longer beating myself up about messing up with the band because after 5 years of physical pain that hurts enough LOL. I come from a family of major overreactors (calling the dr with a sniffle, twinge, etc.) so that's a big part of why I put this off I think.

Any heartfelt words of wisdom? I'm hoping not to get flamed for my own role in this and just get some positive and constructive sugggestions, ideas, etc. Thank you.

No flaming..we all have our issues and thats why we ended up here! You just need to go to a lap band doc and bite the bullet and let him send you for the tests you need (evaluation of the esophagus). Dont blame yourself but do force yourself to get this looked at and taken care of!!

I agree with Xavier! Just push whatever insecurities you have aside about going to see the dr and go. I feel bad you've been in that much pain for so long. Get it checked out!

glad you have restarted your life. after you go to the Doc be sure to keep posting. sounds like you have been holding a lot of pain (emotional) inside. we all listen, it's safe here.

Hello folks, just wanted to let you know I'm seeing the band doctor this afternoon for a swallow/fluoro and from there, hopefully esophageal tests. Will let you know what they say. Haven't been there in something like 8 years...nervous but appreciate the kick in the pants to get started!

Welcome to LBT, so very sorry to read of your trouble. Glad you found a new doctor, and are getting things checked. Please keep us posted as to what you find out.

Mostly I hope the new doctor is able to help you feel better soon!

Well it seems somehow after 8 years I had a pretty inflated band! He took out 2ccs of Fluid and put me on liquids for a week. Which is impossible because I"m turning 50 next week and have way too many things planned to be on liquids. LOL So I went back yesterday and he watched me swallow and said I looked much more open. My pouch has apparently stretched over these past years but he seemed unworried about that, especially since I really don't want to live a big restricted life anyway. Will see how the next month goes and if there's recurrent pain we'll do an endoscopy next.

Thank you all for your support. It was really pleasant being reminded of the camaraderie of banded people when I was sitting in the waiting room with other folks waiting to be seen. I hope to participate around here some more as I readjust to life with the band.

So, does he still want you on liquids? It seems counterproductive to go see him then not follow what he says...? Or since you have Fluid removed is he OK with you continuing to eat. Is the stretched pouch a dilated esophagus?

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Out of curiosity, was Dr. H who did your surgery? I have the exact same issue... literally, EXACTLY. I was banded in 2006, got down to 140 lbs, had what you're going through now, had my band un-filled and promptly went back up to 230 -- much of the weight gain happened within the first few months of the unfill as my body went from starvation mode into normal eating as I couldn't even keep my own saliva down.

Who did you see for your follow-up? I was seeing a doctor out in Joliet who was SO wonderful, but it's much too far for me as I live in Chicago. It's been 2 years, and I'm ready to tackle this again...

How has it gone?