Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Weight Loss at 5 months post-op

I was banded in August 2010. The day of surgery, I weighed 217lbs. As of today, I weigh 217lbs. I've had no weight loss whatsoever. I've had 3 fills and am now up to 6.5cc of a 10cc band. I haven't found anyone who has had the band and not lost weight, only some who have had minimal weight loss. By now, I thought I'd be 25lbs lighter, at least. I'm very discouraged and depressed and wishing I would have just had gastric bypass. The latest fill I had gives me so much restriction that I can barely eat solid foods. I can only eat soft foods like mashed potatoes or chili, etc. Is this the way it's supposed to be? When I decided to get Lap Band, I thought I'd be able to eat everything I wanted only in smaller portions. At my last dr. appt, I asked that I be considered for gastric bypass because of the failure. But, they told me that I have to have band failure for at least a year to even be considered and even then, they didn't know that insurance would cover it. I still have all the health problems I had prior to surgery.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation for me? Is there ANYONE out there who has had the same issue? I feel so alone and lost and so, so depressed.

Feel free to post to my new topic in the forum. But, if you want, you can email me at buffyclary@yahoo.com. Thank you in advance.

Hi Buffy,

I can understand your dissapointment, but your band sounds like it's doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing; restricting your intake so that you can barely eat solid food. But you must eat solid foods to lose weight. You have to chew it up to liquid then stop as soon as you feel full. If you continue eating soft "slider foods", you won't lose weight, in fact you will eventually gain weight.

Learning to eat with your new band is hard..and it is pretty new for you, so give yourself a break. It takes time. I hope you don't give up and try for a bypass at this point. You just might be trading one set of problems for another. Whatever you decide..I do hope you do lots of research before you proceed.

Best of luck to you..

Katsuri

I was banded in August 2010. The day of surgery, I weighed 217lbs. As of today, I weigh 217lbs. I've had no weight loss whatsoever. I've had 3 fills and am now up to 6.5cc of a 10cc band. I haven't found anyone who has had the band and not lost weight, only some who have had minimal weight loss. By now, I thought I'd be 25lbs lighter, at least. I'm very discouraged and depressed and wishing I would have just had gastric bypass. The latest fill I had gives me so much restriction that I can barely eat solid foods. I can only eat soft foods like mashed potatoes or chili, etc. Is this the way it's supposed to be? When I decided to get Lap Band, I thought I'd be able to eat everything I wanted only in smaller portions. At my last dr. appt, I asked that I be considered for gastric bypass because of the failure. But, they told me that I have to have band failure for at least a year to even be considered and even then, they didn't know that insurance would cover it. I still have all the health problems I had prior to surgery.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation for me? Is there ANYONE out there who has had the same issue? I feel so alone and lost and so, so depressed.

Feel free to post to my new topic in the forum. But, if you want, you can email me at buffyclary@yahoo.com. Thank you in advance.

Right now you're too tight; you should be able to eat solid foods if you chew very well. What were you eating before your current level of restriction? If you had the band but didn't have restriction AND didn't change your eating habits (what you eat and how much), it would not be suprising that you didn't lose weight.

I know it's hard to understand. And, most people do automatically assume that I'm not eating right or eating a lot of sweets. All I can say is that I ate healthily before. I gained most of my weight because of disease and not being able to be active. So, I set my standards low when I got this surgery because of my inability to be active. I doubt I'll allow them to make my band much tighter. I guess I'm willing to live with this tightness level if results happen. I go back to the Dr. in 2 weeks.

Right now you're too tight; you should be able to eat solid foods if you chew very well. What were you eating before your current level of restriction? If you had the band but didn't have restriction AND didn't change your eating habits (what you eat and how much), it would not be suprising that you didn't lose weight.

I know it's hard to understand. And, most people do automatically assume that I'm not eating right or eating a lot of sweets. All I can say is that I ate healthily before. I gained most of my weight because of disease and not being able to be active. So, I set my standards low when I got this surgery because of my inability to be active. I doubt I'll allow them to make my band much tighter. I guess I'm willing to live with this tightness level if results happen. I go back to the Dr. in 2 weeks.

It's possible to eat healthy (low fat, Vitamin rich, etc.) but consume too many calories for your activity level. In your first post you said you thought you'd be able to eat everything you wanted--did you keep records to see what/how much that is? If you are unable to be very active, you will have to be extremely conscious of the number of calories you take in, no matter WHAT you eat. At some point your doctor/nutritionist is probably going to ask for the number of calories you take in daily. It would be a good idea for you to journal at least for a little while so that you know that for yourself and for them. It might uncover some suprises for you, it might not. But it will give you a realistic idea of the actual numbers, and what/if other approaches to weight loss would be beneficial to you.

Yes, I did. But, "everything" to me is still healthy. I've never been a fan of ice cream, for example. I thought I'd still be able to eat a 6 inch subway sandwich, only less. But, turns out, the bread is a bit too much. I didn't realize that by restriction, you actually had to avoid breads and thicker meats. I thought you could still eat those things and not feel anything internally only the outcome was you'd just eat less of it when you got full quicker. I'm used to journaling what I eat. I did WW a few times and was successful. I'll probably go back on it. That was my plan in the beginning anyways but a friend and fellow bander told me it wouldn't be necessary because the band would take care of that for me.

Do ya'll know of anyone else who has gone through this? My nurse said she's seen it before. People going month to month with little weight loss and then BAM! They get the right amount of restriction and it starts falling off. I hope that is the case for me. I can definitely tell a difference after this last fill.

It's possible to eat healthy (low fat, Vitamin rich, etc.) but consume too many calories for your activity level. In your first post you said you thought you'd be able to eat everything you wanted--did you keep records to see what/how much that is? If you are unable to be very active, you will have to be extremely conscious of the number of calories you take in, no matter WHAT you eat. At some point your doctor/nutritionist is probably going to ask for the number of calories you take in daily. It would be a good idea for you to journal at least for a little while so that you know that for yourself and for them. It might uncover some suprises for you, it might not. But it will give you a realistic idea of the actual numbers, and what/if other approaches to weight loss would be beneficial to you.

Great advice on both your replies. Sounds like a slight defill may be in order and definitely keeping count of calories. I use weight watchers to keep track of what i'm consuming otherwise I feel lost. I also use fitday to check stuff i'm about to buy at the grocery store or am about to eat to see exactly what i'm putting in my mouth. Fitday has definitely altered what I eat and made me much more conscious of what i'm consuming as does weight watchers. I have an old weight watchers book with points values from years ago and I still use it constantly for quick reference. At your weight you can eat between 24-29 points daily to start losing weight and all the info on point values can be found online. I just type in "chicken breast 3 ounces weight watchers points" and it comes up right away. Hope this helps a little bit.

Buffy do not feel alone!! How are you now?? I am one year out and only 30 lbs. No weight loss for over 6 mos. 9.5 in a 14cc band. No bread and I chew lots to get food down. Low cal low carb low fat. Let me know if something is working for u as I am disgusted as well!!

I have been banded since 1/2011 and i am having the same problems you are. I have only lost 10pds since Jan. and i feel it is very difficult. I have a 14cc band & had 3 fills 6.5 cc. It is very difficult for me to get bread and meats down as well. My first meal for the day always comes back up for some reason. After that I am okay for the day but the meat hurts going down. I am wondering the same thing. Did i really make the right decision. I can truly say my workout is little to none. Lapbanders does working out really help with the weight loss. I am not eating much of anything daily so i know it is not the calorie intake.

Well here is my take. I had my surgery on March 8, 2011. So far i have lost 32 lbs. There are a few times when the scale did not move and onetime i gained 3lbs. What i have noticed is that for me to lose weight i have to first eat 3hrs apart. No food in between, and finally i have to walk. One would say then why did you have the Lapband and my response would be for anyone to think that just placing a band and do nothing is going to amount to weightloss they could forget it. The band however has helped me to limit my intake and the rest is up to me. I will continue to research and more than all walk walk walk. I love my band and have no regrets. Hope this will help. Best of luck to all.

Not everyone gets that "full feeling".. for whatever reason. I never do...

Not everyones band feels the same not everyones body reacts the same. I eat yogurt for Breakfast, 3 oz tuna for lunch.. I am starved all day..... I am really starved by dinner... I eat vegtables and 4 oz protien.... I am hungry about 2 hours later and I have sometimes another small protien meal Or.. a small Cereal like oatmeal with soymilk. So I am eating too much... I don't gain.. but I don't lose...... and I am hungry.. not head hunger.. but stomach growl hunger...

I LOVE bread... do not eat it... I LOVE Pasta... do not eat it...I chew like crazy to get food down... I am not eating candy or icecream or all that.....

So... I think people are so quick to blame the person who is not losing. Even the doctors... but really...if you are using the tool and the tool is not working you..maybe stacking, maybe you have a large pouch... maybe alot of things...

. We did not go through surgery to have this outcome We are not trying to get this outcome... ... we got the tool because it was suppose to help. If we had the ability to do it without we would have done it!

So I feel the compassion for those having this problem... I am at a standstill and very upset... it is embarrasing... people judge you.. so... realize that perhaps some close work with your doctor may be the way to go... even if they try to blame you for the outcome...

either way... what works for one person may not work for another... We all have to be honest about our own work... but we also need to make sure that we don't just blame everything on ourselves, feel defeated and not seek help. That is why we stayed obese for so long in the first place.

I am not ranting... I am just saying.... it is not that simple....

Not everyone gets that "full feeling".. for whatever reason. I never do...

Not everyones band feels the same not everyones body reacts the same. I eat yogurt for Breakfast, 3 oz tuna for lunch.. I am starved all day..... I am really starved by dinner... I eat vegtables and 4 oz protien.... I am hungry about 2 hours later and I have sometimes another small protien meal Or.. a small Cereal like oatmeal with soymilk. So I am eating too much... I don't gain.. but I don't lose...... and I am hungry.. not head hunger.. but stomach growl hunger...

I LOVE bread... do not eat it... I LOVE Pasta... do not eat it...I chew like crazy to get food down... I am not eating candy or icecream or all that.....

So... I think people are so quick to blame the person who is not losing. Even the doctors... but really...if you are using the tool and the tool is not working you..maybe stacking, maybe you have a large pouch... maybe alot of things...

. We did not go through surgery to have this outcome We are not trying to get this outcome... ... we got the tool because it was suppose to help. If we had the ability to do it without we would have done it!

So I feel the compassion for those having this problem... I am at a standstill and very upset... it is embarrasing... people judge you.. so... realize that perhaps some close work with your doctor may be the way to go... even if they try to blame you for the outcome...

either way... what works for one person may not work for another... We all have to be honest about our own work... but we also need to make sure that we don't just blame everything on ourselves, feel defeated and not seek help. That is why we stayed obese for so long in the first place.

I am not ranting... I am just saying.... it is not that simple....

I totally agree! I pray for the "full" feeling. I was banded 1-1/2 years ago. I pray to be like a lady in my group who lost 107 lbs. in 7 months. She could NOT eat more than a tiny piece of meat and a teaspoon of veggies at a meal. She has her regular fills and they always work. Mine never have. My losses go up and down... 60 lbs in first 5 months...than gained 20 back in 6 mos. The pre-op diet, post op and liquid diet are what caused my weight loss...not assistance from the band. I would love to have enough restriction to not be able to eat but 3 oz. of food per meal...that's what I paid for... Thanks for listening...

Grandy I hear you and understand! I think everyone ( including ourselves) blame us. We had the band put in as a way to stop hunger. To be satisfied on less. Physical hunger not head hunger. We got that! But I know others who had this happen as well.

I want to feel full on half cup and not be having my stomach growl till 3 or 4 hours later. Give me that and it would be perfect. I just think the tool should work.

Maybe for some it just will not. You have my support write any time.

Grandy I hear you and understand! I think everyone ( including ourselves) blame us. We had the band put in as a way to stop hunger. To be satisfied on less. Physical hunger not head hunger. We got that! But I know others who had this happen as well.

I want to feel full on half cup and not be having my stomach growl till 3 or 4 hours later. Give me that and it would be perfect. I just think the tool should work.

Maybe for some it just will not. You have my support write any time.