Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Week 3 Post Op Eating too much

Views
Started by pibirdman, Sep 19, 2010 11:22 AM
35 replies to this topic
35 replies to this topic

pibirdman

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: Kenneth Hollis
  • Surgery Date: Sep 2010
  • Starting Weight: 301
  • Weight Lost: 16
  • Current Weight: 285
  • Goal Weight: 180
  • BMI: 44.6
Posted September 19, 2010 - 11:22 AM

I am in WK3 after surgery. I am eating almost as much as before my pre-op diet. I lost 20 lbs after the surgery and am slowly gaining it back. Any ideas? Is this normal before the first fill?

kms2010

• Surgeon: Kenneth Macdonald
  • Surgery Date: Aug 2010
  • Starting Weight: 245
  • Weight Lost: 0
  • Current Weight: 245
  • Goal Weight: 175
  • BMI: 43.4
Posted September 19, 2010 - 12:56 PM

Hello I think you read my mind this morning. I was going to post the same thing. Today makes 4 weeks post-op for me. For the first couple of weeks I felt some kind of restriction and would get a hiccup and I would stop eating/drinking now I feel nothing and I am able to eat crackers, cereal etc... I have not had a fill yet but I think I need one & fast!!!!

zeniada

Bariatric Evangelist

• Starting Weight: 270 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 0 lbs
  • Current Weight: 270 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 130 lbs
  • BMI: 51
Posted September 19, 2010 - 1:07 PM

I'm in the same boat as you all...I'm 3 weeks post op and feel I could eat anything. But I do stop myself when I feel full and try not to eat so much. I cant wait till my first fill to hopefully get some kind of feeling of not being hungry as often.

AmandaGW

• Surgeon: Gerardo Carcamo
  • Starting Weight: 266
  • Weight Lost: 31
  • Current Weight: 235
  • Goal Weight: 135
  • BMI: 39.1
Posted September 19, 2010 - 1:41 PM

I am almost at 3 weeks since surgery. Right now we have no restriction, and we are healing and getting our appetite back. But, it is up to us to put the restriction on what we eat. I am so paranoid about the band slipping, so I am measuring everything. If we eat too much, there is a chance that something could go wrong, especially since we are really not all the way healed up yet. I am also doing a lot of soul searching during this time. I am trying to figure out what causes me to think I am hungry...I joined a face-to-face support group and since I went to my first meeting, I have been doing a lot of thinking about how much and what I am eating. I think it is also VERY important to remember the band as a tool to help you lose the weight, it is not a miracle or cure all. Ultimately, I am doing all the work to lose the weight, not the band. It just helps me with portion control and feeling full. Good luck in all your journeys.

Fiberartsfanatic

Novice

Posted September 19, 2010 - 4:53 PM

I am also 3 1/2 weeks out and the initial feeling of restriction from the swelling is gone. I am able to eat a little more but I keep it down to small portions. I have been instructed to eat 3/4 of a cup of food at a meal. I don't measure it but I do eyeball it and eat only small portions. Often I stop eating before I feel any fullness and although that makes me nervous because it is not something I am accustomed to doing, I have found that it is a good thing to do and that I will not starve if I am not uncomfortably full . Who knew? I am scheduled for a fill on the 27th and am hoping that will slow down the emptying of my stomach and keep me from getting hungry too early.

ddow58

Expert Member

• Surgeon: John Kasper
  • Starting Weight: 255
  • Weight Lost: 15
  • Current Weight: 240
  • Goal Weight: 155
  • BMI: 39.9
Posted September 19, 2010 - 4:58 PM

I'm right there with you at 5 weeks out of surgery. I go for my first fill on tuesday and am looking forward to restriction. Right now I can eat anything and I seem to always be hungry. I have never in my life woken up in the middle of the night from my stomach growling but I did two nights ago. I was appalled!!! I never want that to happen again. lol.

Let's hope that first fill solves our problem.

vlp1968

Bariatric Hero

Posted September 19, 2010 - 6:45 PM

You are all in what is affectionatly known as bandster hell. The time after surgery, before restriction kicks in. I suggest you guys concentrate on eating the right foods (low fat, low carb) even if the portions are larger than they will be once you have restriction. It took me 3 fills to have any kind of restriction. Just know it will happen.

Sharmaine

• Surgeon: Sharfi Sarker
  • Starting Weight: 275
  • Weight Lost: 40
  • Current Weight: 235
  • Goal Weight: 150
  • BMI: 44.4
Posted September 19, 2010 - 7:18 PM

I am 3 weeks post op also, and i am right there with you.... I have a doctors appt tomorrow to get my 1st filled.... the scale has stop moving, i havent lost but i havent gain either, ive been at the same weight for about 2 weeks now! my starting weight was 275, the day of surgery 257 and 3 weeks after the surgery 235.... so thats a grand total of 40lbs lost .....:thumbup:

SarahMarie123

Advanced Member

• Surgeon: Tom Umbach
  • Starting Weight: 250
  • Current Weight: 250
  • Goal Weight: 140
  • BMI: 40.3
Posted September 19, 2010 - 7:40 PM

I am there too! I am 2.5 weeks post op...and I feel like I could eat anything I wanted to. Of course I am not giving in to this easting anything fantasy that I have. My Dr. told me I could go onto mushies as soon as I fel that I could which was 3 days ago. Do you think this is too much? Keep in mind I chew everything until it is very mushy.

Bfast- 1 scrambled egg with cheese and bacon bits
Lunch- 8 oz fat free refried beans with cheese
Dinner- 8 oz hamburger soup (skipping the pasta noodles Gma threw in there)
3 oz muscle milk

I am having a hard time getting the protein in...

I am to afraid that I made a 11k mistake...I am down 9lbs since surgery...and the weight has stayed the same for 3 days.

What do you think?

BeachBabe

Expert Member

• Surgeon: Paul Cirangle
  • Starting Weight: 205
  • Current Weight: 205
  • Goal Weight: 135
  • BMI: 31.2
Posted September 19, 2010 - 8:03 PM

I am 4 weeks post op. I was filled 3 cc on the operating table and have slight restriction. I have been counting calories for 2 weeks and never go over 900 and I have maintained the weight that I have lost and added to my loss. Count calories and restrict yourself even if your band is not restricted. I get a fill of 2 cc tomorrow!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Trending Topics