Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What food causes you to PB or get blocked?

I was banded on 9/18 and have been doing well and able to eat everything so far. I had a big fill last week and thought I was too tight when I PB'd for almost 1/2 hour after eating yogurt.

Today I had yogurt for lunch and the PBing started almost 1/2 way through. I would think yogurt would be a slider food, how can it get stuck?

Anyway, my other food that I can't eat is canned peas. I eat them and I get pain in my chest like they are stuck, no matter how slow or small amount I eat. I love canned peas!

I can eat fresh or frozen peas without problem but not canned.

What food causes you to get that stuck feeling?

I seem to have problems with cooked salmon. I know most people have good luck with it but not me. Raw salmon in sushi? Not a problem, I can eat that 'til the cows come home. ('til the fish swim upstream?)

Beef seems to work well also, poultry is hit and miss.

bread is a problem unless crisped. Rice seems to work well for me, especially rice noodles. On the other hand, Pasta has been nothing but a problem.

I'm new - what is PB? Or do I not want to know?

Right now I have a 3 cc fill and am getting my second fill on Thursday. I do not have restriction but since the first fill, I can no longer eat the european style breads (chewy with a crunchy crust). They stick.

Oh...and this morning I made scrambled eggs and they went down a bit hard even though I've never had problems with them before.

I'm new - what is PB? Or do I not want to know?

Productive Burb. You get something stuck and then your throat starts producing mucus (some call it slimeing) and then you burb the food and mucus back up. Sometime after a long period of time waiting for it to come up. I guess it's pretty uncomfortable. I'm not on solid food yet so I have no experience with this yet. It's my understanding that almost everyone banded has this happen from time to time.

I seem to have problems with cooked salmon. I know most people have good luck with it but not me. Raw salmon in sushi? Not a problem, I can eat that 'til the cows come home. ('til the fish swim upstream?)

Beef seems to work well also, poultry is hit and miss.

bread is a problem unless crisped. Rice seems to work well for me, especially rice noodles. On the other hand, Pasta has been nothing but a problem.

I would also like to know what others feel are hard to eat. I want to stay away from problem foods!

Hi All,

Well after my second fill a month ago, I am now truly banded. And yes I have had 5 or 6 PB happenings. It hurts till you PB, but no problem afterward.

Things that get stuck: Dry pork loin, Steak, Brocolli, dry chicken/turkey, hamburger meat. I'm eating Beans, Protein shakes and special K Protein Water to get my protein in.

Weight is moving down again:laugh:

Good Journey All,

MaggieGT

Bread of any kind and BACON .. I thought I was going to end up in the ER after 1/2 piece of bacon.

After my 1st fill 6 days ago, I am back on mushies..

Tried to eat salmon last night and had to make a beeline for the ladies room at the restaurant.

Throw them in the food processor

I was banded on 9/18 and have been doing well and able to eat everything so far. I had a big fill last week and thought I was too tight when I PB'd for almost 1/2 hour after eating yogurt.

Today I had yogurt for lunch and the PBing started almost 1/2 way through. I would think yogurt would be a slider food, how can it get stuck?

Anyway, my other food that I can't eat is canned peas. I eat them and I get pain in my chest like they are stuck, no matter how slow or small amount I eat. I love canned peas!

I can eat fresh or frozen peas without problem but not canned.

What food causes you to get that stuck feeling?

Oh Yea, I forgot bread. I can eat very slow my high Fiber whole wheat toasted but no soft breads. It's a good thing too, because a basket full of bread at a restaurant is finally not a temptation.

Step by step I am becoming free of food.

I'm trying to figure out what to fill my life with. Looking into fashion, cars, learning new things(like spanish), taking classes for my masters and of course exercise. Any suggestions?

Good journey,

MaggieGT

different things cause me to get stuck...bread is a BIG no-no...i am in need of a fill so i can actually eat a little of it now..but if i eat too much of it, it hurts!

Also no-no's:

-rice

-anything breaded

-steak

Remember that different foods will get stuck for different people...while I have no problem with turkey, someone else might PB just at the thought of turkey! You need to try them for yourself...

As for yogurt making you PB...you said that it was about half way through the yogurt...well you probably can only hold HALF of the container now :willy_nilly: Even though it goes down easy, once your band is full, it's full.

And has anyone else noticed that one day you can eat a certain food and the next you can't even take a bite of the same thing? Happens to me all the time...

my problem is bread especially sandwiches -- i haven't even got my first fill but I planned on eating 1/4 of a veggie sandwich (i'm a vegetarian) and i ate 2 bites and had a major problem -- i had to throw it up. So lately I've been trying to stay away from breads. I don't have a problem with oatmeal or even wraps -- but bread.. forget about it!

Quick question about the meat that gets stuck, is it because it is not being chewed up enough - or is it just another reason. I am trying to wrap my head around why it would be so difficult. I was banded on the 3rd of December so I have not had any problems. Well except for one. I was grocery shopping with my boys and they wanted the soft breadsticks with cheese, kinda like a cheese bun but long and narrow. So I picked up two of them, broke off half for each and just like the old days I took a big bite and started chewing away, it goes down I do not feel anything - so I say well I am not supposed to (on mushies) but I will have just one more bite :willy_nilly: Well I thought I was going to die. The pain was really intense but strange for what was happening - it felt like someone was trying to drive a spike right through my abdomen right where the band is (or where i think it is), so my next instinct was to grab Water, I take a big sip :biggrin: wow never thought a sip of Water could be so painfull. I just sat down, with my kids really worried, I did some breathing excercises and the pain slowly went away and I was left with terrible hiccups that also hurt alot. All that to say, I do not know if I can ever eat bread again in my life after that.

Maybe this is the behavioural modification function of the band? :unsure:

Black olives HATE me, they just wont go down. The ground beef in tacos sometimes get stuck.

For me, hard taco shells are a no go! So far I've been able to eat any type of meat including steak and chicken...well chewed of course! :willy_nilly: