Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the NYC bandsters?

Hi Bandsters,

Hope you are doing well. I am feeling great, the scale won't budge, but the inches are melting, so I'm not going to watch the scale or care. I mean if my body adjusted to under 900 calories, then I have to live with it. I just keep on doing my exercize and treadmil. My pressure is down to 118 of 82. No more medication. So its working, did not expect miracles, but a little goes a long way. So don't have grandeous expectations, stick with the program and know it is doing good for your body. That is why I did this, wanted to be off medication, needed to be able to wear regular shoes, not sandals or sneakers. So I can now where regular shoes, no swelling. My husband won't take my photo yet. Guess he wants it to look extra good.

The weather has been great, sorry I don't have anyone to walk with, so I use my treadmill, and walk in the shopping center, outdoors.

Good luck all.

band date 10/25/05

241/228/225/

Waiting for 2nd 6 week post op in December.

Guest ashvb

I'm an NYC bandster. Was banded by Dr. Ren on June 13th, 2002, but have recently suffered a setback when I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia that was just surgically repaired 4 days ago. I'm a bit frustrated having gained back 50 lbs, so I'm looking for some motivated messages to help me out.

Additionally, since I have been banded from quite some time, if anyone has any questions about the band, or has suffered a similar incident, feel free to drop me a note.

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your setback, but remember the band is a means to an end. I was banded on 10/25/05, My first post op was down 11 pounds. I have my six week visit on Dec 7. I think I am down another 4. The weight is going slow, but the inches are going so I will be patient. I have no restriction, I can eat and drink, when I stand up is when I feel full. Not while I am eating. I know if I eat less I just feel better less gassy and less bowel noises. I drink my Water and try to get on the treadmill. I had my own little set back, woke up Wednesday with what I thought was 23 insect bites.

I had them on my inner arm around the elbow and both sides of my waist. Not sure what it was only that they itches, by Friday I called my internist. He asked me to come in. He said it was an allergy. I have not eaten any new foods. I did use some new bath stuff, but I used it before. The only thing I no is that I tried on some velour pants that never fit, and was able to wear them around the house, they were tight around the waist. They had been sitting in the laundry room on the hamper for a few months. I don't believe they were ever washed. I'm not sure where I got them. I have a matching velour top that I wear lots. Now, my problem is with the unknown, so I try not to obsess about it. But it is Saturday and I taking allergy medicine and using 2% cortizone cream, not gone yet. So I understand set backs. I'm afraid to eat anything but what I have had before. On top of this I had a dental procedure on Tuesday, last week, so I had to take antibiotic 2 before the procedure. Maybe this was the cause, but I was told that antibiotic reaction is usually immediate. Hang in there, I would be glad to give you extra support, because I need it to. You can email me at librasings@yahoo.com. Have a great date.

Hi

No one around lately. Had my first little fill on Wednesday. Had to rush to catch my ride, did not look at papers, so I did not know I wasn't supposed to eat stay on liquids. However, the fill is great, really can't eat too much. Little is better. I really feel like I'm shrinking. Not sure what fill would feel like. Really did not have any restriction before. But, now, I know in the middle of a bite if it is too much, and have to stop. Think this is a great idea. Restrain. A little is better than alot anyway.

Regards,

Librasings

I am in the final stages of pre-op work. I will be having the surgery by Dr. Fielding, an associate of Dr. Ren. They both are in the NYU Health Care system. I started this whole process back in 2002. Unfortunately then, Aetna denied the procedure. They consider it "investigational". Sad, here we are an obese members with co-morbid conditions such as hytertension, limited joint mobility, etc etc and they consider a well proven technique such as the Lap Band investigational. Amazing!

Anyway, I am curious if and how .... any bandsters have convinced Aetna to pay all or part of the surgical procedure. I sure would like to get some financial suppport for this. Ideas anyone? Who should I reach out to at Aetna? What do I need to document? Any information would be helpful and appreciate. I would be happy to teach anyone that can help me the skills of fly fishing .... trust me ... it is a terrific outdoors activity and the perfect therapy for the new "thinner you". We could meet in Central Park for casting lessons. Thanks ...... I will keep you all posted on my progress.

LadyAngler

Hello,

It has been my experience, that the doctor's staff knows who to call. They also know who will pay and who will not. When I started this journey, I first went to Maimonides Hospital in Broolyn to their Bariactic Dept. They told me upfront, I needed pshcy approval, nutritionist approval, and that GHI would not cover Lap Band, they would deny, then I would have to appeal, might take two years.

After that I got my psych approval and my nutritionist approval. My husband was able to change insurance in January 05, and we could choose from a list he works for FDNY EMS Paramedic Lieutenant. I choose Healthnet, they cover the Lap Band and all follow up procedures.

The best thing you can do is get on the phone and find out who at the insurance company is the right person to speak with. I know more and more that Lap Band is being covered.

Hope this is helpful.

Librasings/Barbara

Brooklyn, NYC

Founder: http://CaringforElderlyFamilyMembers@groups.msn.com

Founder: www.CoalitionforSeniorSafety.org

I'm from Brooklyn NYC as well...pretty neat!!

Hi everyone! I'm a new bandster who lives on the UWS in NYC! Banded by Dr. Rumbaut on 1/31/06. Still pretty darn sore and worried about going back to work next week -- didn't think I'd be this achy I guess. Nontheless, I am SOOO excited about the band and really hopeful that it will work with me!!!

Are there any Lap-band support groups in NYC? It would be great it there were monthly meetings or something like Weight Watchers. Has anyone thought of organizing this or how we could do it???

Suzanne

Hi

I consider myself a new bandster, you really have to learn and adjust. Take advantage of not being hungry the first few weeks, thats the best part. After your six weeks check up, then you will maybe get a fill, remember to follow the instructions, each person has their own experience, if you have questions or just need support feel free to email me.

Regards,

librasings

You can use librasings at yahoo

Greetings everyone:) Long Islander here :) I've been banded for 2 years now and couldn't be more happier :clap2: I feel like I've been reborn!!!

Jane

hi my name is anni had my lap-band nov 18th of 2004. and i lost 96 pounds so far in 15 months. wishing all the best to everyone:clap2: .

hugs ann

banded 11/18/04:girl_hug:

Hi Guys! Well I am now officially 6 weeks post-op and hunting around for a good doctor in NYC who will do fills on patients who have had their bands implanted in Mexico (Dr. Rumbaut). I've found a few -- Ren, Fielding, Katz and a NP named Ferraro -- but I'm just a little worried because none of them do it with flouro and I'm worried they'll all be really conservative with how much cc's they use. What has everyone's experience been in terms of fill quantity? I'm thinking I should insist on 2.0 cc's at the first fill and if it's too tight, I'll come back and get it out... or is that too much!?

Hi guys, I just saw all this. Xann, I've used Dory Ferrara, the NP you mentioned. No, she doesn't use fluoro, but you do have to have a barium swallow @ lab & take x-ray to her before your first fill. On the plus side, she NEVER misses & gives great fills. On the minus side, as with all U.S. fills I've heard of, she's conservative. Starts @ .5cc's, then goes up gradually.

Unfortunately, I've had esophagus issues that necessitate my band removal in the next few weeks. I don't think I can afford to pay Dr. Ortiz's removal fee, as much as I love him.

Has anyone heard of Dr. Vorha on Long Island? His office is in Hewlett & he operates @ So. Nassau. My gastro thinks very highly of him & even though he's not on my insurance, he's willing to admit me through emergency to get payment.

Do you guys have a NY Support Group? I from MD and we have monthly meetings. Some of us my be in NY on April 8th and 9th. Would anyone be interesting getting together for lunch or something?