Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the NYC bandsters?

Where are all the NYC bandsters? I’ve just joined and am newly banded (9 days and counting). I’ve been reading all the posts and they have been very helpful. But I was hoping to find more bandsters near me.

Anyone out there??

I'm a NYC (Brooklyn) Bandster. Welcome!! There's a few here. How did it go? I'm fairly new to the band myself. Had it done on 9/19/05. Hope all is well.

Hi there! It went better than I expected. I was home the same day and now 9 days post op I only have a little bit of discomfort. Where did you get it done? I went to Columbia Presbyterian. Based on all the other posts on the post-op diet I think my doctor is pretty agressive. I was only on liquids for the 1 day after surgery and pureed food for the first 2 weeks. I have my follow up next Thursday and they have said I would go on solids then. How did your surgery go?

ZAN,

i was banded at NYU on 9/19/05- Dr. Ren. I actually went to columbia pres for a consult but chose nyu b/c it was closer for me - for the surgery and the follow - ups. My surgery went pretty good. I had a hietal hernia repair as well which was a little more painful due to the stitches. I kinda wasn't expecting the pain I had though to be honest. They make it sound so in and out. I had to stay home about 1 1/2 weeks til I felt myself. Maybe that was just me though. they say people have the surgery on thurs and go back to work on monday. Now, I feel great. I stuck to my diet of 2 weeks liquid pre-op, 2 weeks liquid post op, then 2 weeks mushies, now solids for 1 week. no PBs yet - thank goodness.I haven't weighed myself since my 1 week f/u. I go back on Nov 1st for my first fill and for a follow up nutritional consult and I guess " weigh in." I'll let you know how it goes.

Pathworker - how did you like Ren? How's it going?

Debbydoo - Yes LI counts! At least I think so.

LI definitely counts! I initially called Dr. Ren because it was closer to me too (UES) but they did not take my insurance. Now I have the shlep waaaaayyyy uptown - but it's worth it. The same thing happened to me - I finally felt like myself again after 1 1/2 weeks..... I thought I had a pretty good pain threshold but this suprised me -getting out of bed was agony! Living in a walk up does not help either - thankfully I'm on the 2nd floor or I don't think I would have left my apartment so soon after surgery. I'm glad I listened to the doctor and took 2 weeks off... I go back to work this Wednesday. I think your smart not to weigh yourself, I made the mistake of taking out my scale after 1 week and now I'm obsessed. I think I need to throw the damn thing out!! Let me know how your follow up goes...

Hello

Well it took over a year, 6 months research, 3 postponments due to family illness. The first time I just wasn't ready. I went through all the emotions. Now that it's over I realized this is quite a brave thing to do. Not an easy way out at all. This is the hardest decision I ever made and I am proud of myself. It is definitely the most amazing. I work up after surgery and could not believe I really did it. I was out of it. The first day my husband a Paramedic Lt for 23 years was very helpful. They were very nice. I could not stand the catheter, so they removed it. I had to pee really alot, but they lessened the IV at I felt much better. The pain med helped me sleep. But the pain was not really bad for me, it felt like I had a sore rib cage and around my back. When I needed an emergency root canal the pain was 10 times worse.

My first day home, doing well. I had cream of what for Breakfast, Carnation Protein Drink snack, lunch was Gefilta fish mashed up. It was good. Did not eat any horseradish though. My biggest problem is my stomach noises and mild gas.

I drank 22 ounces sip from after lunch till 30 min before dinner. Then I pureed chicken cutlet and added butternut squash to make a nice moist mix. It went down without any problem. Then I had some sugar free jellow. Now I am sipping my next 20 oz , have to take my stomack med and I'm done. Not a bad day. Walked on the treadmill, made the bed, tiddied up a bit. But did ask my husband to take the day off, needed some moral support.

Regards

Librasings

Hi Debi,

You seem to be doing very well. Any tips you can offer. I just got banded 10/26 Dr. Kurian. The surgery went very well, was home the next day. You must be doing everything right, That's what I indend to do, this band and I are going to be best friends. we have a mission to accomplish.

Good Luck

Barbara/librasings

Hi Librasings, You're off to a great start.

My only sound adivse for the moment is

Keep your head in the game. My surgeons office is horrible with the after support so I'm drawing my strength from everyone and everything else.

Good luck to you all,

Debby

Hi DebbyDo

We both sound like positive woman. How long has it been for you to lose 60 pounds. I too don't love the surgeon. I used Dr. Kurian, she is supposed to be the best in NYC at Lenox Hill. The surgery was top notch. But, I have not gotten that okay girl lets do it from her.

Its more or less left of to me. I have used "Slim Forever" a tape that help me get my head in the right place to do the surgery. I am actually amazed I made such a life altering decision, I am very proud of myself that I was able to commit to this, this one you do alone, you might get support, but it is truly up to you and your band.

This is my third day, I am feeling a little tired, I got up went to the store, mailed a letter, first I had my Protein, Carnation Instant, when I got home, I had Breakfast with my husband at noon. He works starting at 1:30, so we are on a late schedule. For breakfast I had cottage cheese no fat, mixed with sf apple sauce. Now I have been drinking I mean sipping stopped at 3 P.M. made a can of chicken Rice Soup, pureed. I will have this for my lunch at 3:30. How am I doing. Lets stay in touch. Librasings

hey guys.... i am a fellow nyc bandster as well. i had my surgery with dr. ren on may 26th. she is top notch. the nurses who work for her are great as well, the receptionists are a little unorganized and overwhelmed it seems. i think i have been doing well so far. it has been almost 6 months and i am down around 65 pounds. i have never been this small, at least not as an adult and i feel great. i am hoping to join a gym or something soon so i can have a more regimented exercise schedule. swimming is what i want to be doing. glad i found this place. hope i hear from some neighbors

I'm in Brooklyn, had my lap band done on 10/25, I'm had my intial loss during the first two weeks, 13 pounds, now I am losing much slower, doing my treadmill, most of my clothes from 2000 fit me now. I have so many pair of slacks, I don't think I'll run out for the first three months. You did very well for six months. Have any words of wisdom. I am afriad, my body has adjusted to the low calories, and now it is all up to me and how much I exercize. I hope this is not the case. I am drinking my Water. But, I don't have any restriction, I just really am not that hungry. I am a little nervous, in the past I always had to stay really low calories to see the scale move. I thought that this would be such a drastic change, I was going to melt. I am losing inches, and I can't complain. Anyone want to join Curves, they have a deal on joining with a friend. I'm in Brooklyn, Georgetown, near Ralph AVenue. Good Luck All.

Hi Pippimcc

Welcome! Wow congratulations on 65lbs! Seems like almost everyone on the NY site but me went to Dr. Ren! I love swimming too. It is the only thing that gets me excited about exercising. I specifically joined my gym (NYHR) because it has a great lap pool that is usually not crowded. But things could have changed I have not been there a very long time! I hope to go back this month.

Barbara- I hear some people on here love Curves. You should try it. For me I'm going to stick to my gym, there is one 2 blocks from my office and one right on the block where I live so it is really convenient (and hard to make excuses). As I said above my cardio is swimming which I know Curves does not have. But I bet you can get someone to join you if they live nearby - good luck!

Zan

hey there new yorkers! i'm in brooklyn and had my surgery done on monday 11/14 by dr. ren. i agree that she is excellent. i'm less than 48 hours out of the or and i feel fine. i am having such minimal pain that i'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. it's great to hear from other people in the area. i actually went to dr. kurian for recommendations for mexican drs. because my bmi was only 34.7 at the time. so she referred me to dr. ren because she had a low-bmi study going. it all happened so fast and i can't believe i'm already banded! but i am so excited for the future for the first time in a while. i have been a yo-yo dieter for so long and i'm so excited that i won't be gaining back all of the weight plus some.