Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sue's Pending Lapband Removal...very, Very Long.

Hi Sue,

I believe we have bumped into each other on that OTHER site...and you are right, it's full of hopefuls and people riding high on their Band success. I will be honest, and I did start there, hopeful and ignorant, at least until I started to learn more about the problems that do occur. Somehow, I finally figured out that it's not the end-all cure-all perfect solution for my obesity, that WLS holds no guarantees for true success. There is and always will be a certain amount of unknown problems that may occur in anyone's journey. Whether or not we want to accept it, there are people that the BAND doesn't do the trick. For them, it becomes a problem that creates new issues to deal with...totally not fair, but it does happen.

I for one an very thankful that you took the time to explain your situation so that I could understand that it happens, whether or not we followed the "rules". Somethings just can't be helped by the usual logical treatments. I appreciate your honesty. For me, it's opened my eyes to a new level of reality. At first I was too wrapped up in the HOPE of ending my fight with fat. Not only did you help me realize that it MAY NOT be the ticket, you also opened my heart to more understanding of the plight we are all facing, no matter which path we choose to follow.

I no longer share in the "fantasy", but now choose to see it for what it is. If the day should come that I might need to face what you have faced, I hope that I have learned that I must accept that my choice may have not been the right one for me...that I can pick myself up, pick up the pieces and move on to whatever my options might lead me.

I wish that no one had to deal with the sorts of issues that result from any WLS. This isn't Utopia, and life isn't always fair. I wish the best of luck from the bottom of my heart. You continue to be in my prayers!

((HUGS))

Linda P

Sue,

Im so very glad you shared this.

Your story is one of the reasons I opted for the band as being my first choice - because if it fails, I can go to plan B.

Would you mind giving us hungry nosey folks an explanation as to why youve chosen the DS as your "plan B"?

Hugs, Sue.

Posts like yours are one of the reasons that I have found this site to be so valuable in my research of the Band. It keeps me from getting all fluffy & fuzzy about the wonders of the band.

I appreciate hearing about things that can happen, even while I hope with every Fiber of my being that they don't happen to ME.

Sorry the band didn't work out for you. Please do keep coming here to keep us posted on your progress.

:]

What can I say Sue, except DITTO's to what everyone has already posted.

I'm very sorry the band did not work out for you but I am really glad that they figured out the problem and can work on getting you back to normal (for lack of a better word). Its a shame you had/have to suffer.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Eileen

Sue, I wish the best for you. Your wisdom is something I cherish. The research you have done is so valuable to us all.

Your total approach to your banding issues is superior and well documented. I read sometime ago where you wrote to the effect…when your car is in need of repair, you try and fix it first instead of replacing the engine. I believe it was in response to why you decided to get a band instead of GBP to begin with. That’s my way of thinking as well.

Thanks for explaining your situation and informing us of your plans.

I’m curious like Paula, as to why you’ve chosen the DS? I’m guessing it has to do with "esophageal dilatation."?

And as Kathy said don’t forget us bandsters...we still need you! And we want to know how you are. Keep us updated!

Love, Hugs and Kisses!

Vera

I second everyone's comments. Sue please keep us informed and visit as often as you can. We miss you.

Sue -

Fabulous post, and thanks for taking the time to share. From one whose journey with the band ended without choice, to one who is choosing to start on a different path - I know how disappointing this bump in the road must be.

I admire you for persevering, and for taking a step back, evaluating your options, and then moving forward for what is best for you.

No matter what you do, though, we will always be banded sisters! I hope we can meet up again someday, and please stick around and share your progress with the DS. I know you will be more than welcome here, as am I - these people are so AWESOME!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and that all goes smoothly, and that you get the results you want.

xxoo

Sue, I'm very glad you decided to share your story. I'd seen that you were having your band removed, and got a little info here and there from various posts, but it's nice to hear the 'whole story' so to speak.

I hope you stick around here tho! Keep us posted :)

I do think it's true that no matter how much you research ANYTHING it's easy to get the idea in your head that the complications won't happen to YOU. I'm glad that you've researched enough to know what's best for you. I agree about the 'other' site (assuming we're all talking about the same one, although I could be way off). I get frustrated with a lot of them refusing to hear that things CAN go wrong, even when You have done everything right! I posted about getting my port removed (big deal to me) b/c of infection and received maybe 5-6 replies, but other people can post about a particular NSV and get 20+ posts. I think the support is there if you're doing well, but God forbid you have a problem. I'm hope that this next surgery will be the answer that you need. Erin

but God forbid you have a problem. Erin

Boy.. isn't that statement true! You'd think we all had a stake in Inamed/J&J stock...

I'm having my band replaced by the DS because of Sue. Sue and I have very different opinions on alot of things, but the woman is on top of it, and very respected by me. (Thanks again, Sue, and no, I'm not stalking you!) Well, I mean, I figured if Sue was considering the DS, there had to be something to it. Sue is a very intelligent woman, who is very capable of providing you with all the reasons she choose the DS.

I research, but read and go on. So, I don't have any links but the reason I have decided is because of all the surgerys, the DS has the highest long term success rate and the highest EWL. There is no dumping because the pyloric valve is intact. There is no pouch stretching because there is no pouch. The stomach is reduced into a long banana shape meaning the outside portion is cut away, reducing stomach acid and the chemical "hunger hormone" grenlin?? Is that what it is called, Sue? DS relies highly on malabsorption. With RNY, their body learns to reabsorb fat and nutrients eventually, thus causing some to regain more easily. This is probably true about the DS also, but not nearly as much. That's why supplementation, Dexascans and blood levels are so important. There is less chance of ulceration also. One disadvantage is some people experience the trots and very offensive gas. Most people I have talked to about that said the trots can be avoiding by avoiding high fat foods and sugar. Which most high sugar foods ARE high fat. The dietician said it's not the sugar but the fat that is the problem. I would assume it would be an individual thing.

Also, a more "normal diet" can be eaten than with the RNY or the Band. I am looking forward to a nice peice of steak again....and I figure it really is no more maintenance than the band was. I am actually quite excited, a little scared, since I now have a 6 month old daughter, but ready to be done with it.

I had scar tissue choking the tubing to my band. I am 3 years out. I lost 135 in about 12 or 14 months, then started having problems. I also have issues with spasms and dialation. I have gained quite a bit back from being unfilled throughout the pregnancy and then not being able to get a fill in or out after the scar tissue closed off the tube. I think the DS is for sure the right surgery for me. I will not get the RNY, so it's this or nothing.

Wow! What wonderful support.

•The band, as you know, is restrictive only. It can limit the amount of solid food you can eat at one time.

•The RnY, (and I'm biased, so ignore me if you're wise) is both restrictive (the stomach is reduced to 20 cc's--4 teaspoons) and temporarily malabsorptive (after about two years the remaining intestine "learns" to absorb much of what the missing intestine used to absorb. That's when the weight regain begins. To me, it works like a kind of non-reversible band.

•The DS is also a little restrictive (the stomach is reduced to 4-6 ounces) but it remains malabsorptive forever. So, the DS has the highest percentage of long-term excess weight loss...and the highest number of risks, including long-term metabolic stuff we don't even know about. OTOH...my 60-year-old cardiologist and I were discussing that the promise of long-term ANYTHING, when you are 60-ish and morbidly obese, is not necessarily a bad thing.

Here's a link to a site started by a DS patient:

http://www.duodenalswitch.com/index.html

And here's a mention of some research at Cornell:

http://global.med.cornell.edu/news/wcmc/wcmc_2005/10_14_05.shtml

If anything I read made an impact, it was a post by Melanie M (the woman who started the DS board.) Scroll down to read her take about the DS as a tool.

http://www.duodenalswitch.com/openbb/read.php?TID=3932

I know I will have to make some changes with the DS. But those will mostly--my friends tell me--be learning not to eat stuff that doesn't agree with my new plumbing.

I'm glad that this wasn't received as a the-band-is-bad post. You guys are cool.

Sue, I am in agreement with so much of what so many of the others have said. I think your input here is highly valued, your introspect is spot on, and your sense of humor is priceless. I'm sorry for all that you've had to endure, and also hope that you continue to come here and share your knowledge and wisdom. Down the road others will unfortunately have band related issues and need an experienced voice to guide them and help them remain strong. I hope you succeed in all your endeavors, and I too wish you good health and great results.