Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 09 Knockouts! Check in here POST surgery! :)

Hi everyone!! I must say I am glad Christmas has come and gone. I have a family full of great cooks! I tasted a little of everything for three days straight. I felt really guilty about it and refuse to touch a scale until I am completely back on track. My splurge is nowhere near what it would've been if I didn't have the band. However, I have kept up with my walking the entire time. Today I walked 61 NYC blocks. Check out my blog Melodie Takes Manhattan!!

hey Elfie ... master cleansing for 2 weeks started today... time to make more diet changes

LOL...nah, I hope you do well on it but after being able to eat only liquids for 5 days due to a too tight band, I think I'm going to just enjoy eating.

Normally I start my day with a Protein shake on week days, but this morning I had a scrambled egg and half a piece of toasted homemade oatmeal bread. You know life has changed when you consider this a meal fit for kings. :biggrin:

Bento is a single-portion takeout or home-packed meal common in Japanese cuisine. A traditional bento consists of rice, fish or meat, and one or more pickled or cooked vegetables, usually in a box-shaped container.

(I took that from the wikipedia page). Basically it's a cute lunch that is fun to make and is based on smaller sized portions of different things, which keeps the variety up. Traditionally a bento box is 4 parts grain, 3 parts Protein, 2 parts fruit or veggie, and 1 part pickled veggie. For our diets I think it'd be best to stick to 3 parts Protein, 2 parts veggie, and 1 part fruit. Here are some pictures:

mice on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I think it would be something fun to do one or two days a week, just to have a pretty lunch :biggrin:

that is cool, I googled it . My 11 yr old loves it... looks like a sushi boat lunch. good idea every one is always looking for Portion Control ideas.

Now I just need motivation to pack some bentos...

You know what is tasty? LF chive cottage cheese with a little salsa mixed in. Mmm. 90 calories, 13 grams of Protein for the cottage cheese 1/2 cup!

Hey guys and gals! I was supposed to be banded Nov. 19th but there was a big change in plans. While proceeding with the band we discovered I had renal cell carcinoma on my left kidney and something on my liver. The surgery was post-poned until all doctors could meet. The surgery for partial kidney removal was on Dec. 16 and we were able to schedule the liver biopsy and band at the same time. I got a 3-fer! Boy was I in some pain. Pretty much all procedures were on the same side. I now have 10 beautiful holes where all the "digging" and "poking" was done. LAP-BAND® was a blessing in disguise for me. I have my post-op with the urologist on Jan. 5th. The doctor called to tell me that the pathology reports came back and he did get it all. Yah!!!! The liver is still in question but will be seeing the doctor soon to find out what more we need to do.

As far as hunger, I hit that on day 6 post-op. Didn't feel hungry until that day. Thank God I had a post-op with the LAP-BAND® doc the next day and was moved up to mushies. Woohoo! Doing pretty good so far. This recovery is taking longer than I anticipated. I'm ready to be 100% and I know I will be soon!

Keep your chin up and remember, you are NOT alone!

Oh my, so sorry to hear about your kidney and liver but glad that they were able to go ahead with the band. I wish you the best of health. Hang in there!

Happy Holidays to everyone! Congrats to everyone who was able to get through the holidays and still lose weight, congrats to those who maintained and didn't gain and even if you gained I'll bet you ate less than you would have if you didn't have the band, right? So a big congrats to all!!!

From my co-workes I was given cash to buy new clothes if I wanted but one of the things I bought even though I didn't think I would yet was a digital scale. But I promissed myself not to weigh in more than once a week and Thursday is my day. So actually I have no idea how I did over Christmas but I think I did pretty well. I haven't eatten on Christmas cookie and for me that is big!!! I'm the baker in the family but told everyone this year no Cookies from me. Still, I had to use some willpower to not touch any that came into the office. I'm even surprising myself! I truly feel that for once I've got a handle on making good choices. Now I didn't totally deprive myself. I did have sweet potato soufle on Christmas but I made it lower calorie than normal by making some substitutes. And a low-cal pumpkin pie that was good too.

I'm getting out there and walking (weather permitting) during lunch break. Started out small and working my way to being out there longer and longer but it's cold!! Somehow I've got to find time to fit in exercise at home too but haven't quite gotten there yet. Once I get home I'm pooped, and my 2 year old granddaughter lives with us, along with her mom.

Well if I don't check back before the new year comes, here's to a great one. May 2010 treat us all well. I hope everyone reaches their goals!!!

Happy New Year!

Oh my, so sorry to hear about your kidney and liver but glad that they were able to go ahead with the band. I wish you the best of health. Hang in there!

Looking into the band was a blessing! Not only to lose weight but we would have never known about the cancer and liver until it was too late. God blessed us tremendously by leading me to look into this.

I appreciate the support. It helps tremendously! ;)

Looking into the band was a blessing! Not only to lose weight but we would have never known about the cancer and liver until it was too late. God blessed us tremendously by leading me to look into this.

I appreciate the support. It helps tremendously! ;)

That's so true! One just never knows where they will find their blessings! Wishing you all the best!

Happy New Year to all my fellow Nov 09 bandsters! I hope to get my first fill soon - it has been cancelled twice due to insurance authorization not happening on time. I was banded 11/19 and have lost 16 pounds post surgery. My portions are about 1/2 what they used to be, but I'd like them to be a bit smaller (the fill should do this!).

Best of luck to all of you out there, and happy 2010!

Jen, I am still waiting for my first fill too. I have lost 10.8 since surgery on 11/25 and I am BUMMED its sooo slow I lost more pre op than post! My first fill is scheduled for this Monday and I cant wait because I am back to normal appitite wise. I am eating less than usual for sure, just need to kick it up a notch and I am anxious that my new years resolution of "loosing weight" yet again will actually work this time.

Happy New Year to all my fellow Nov 09 bandsters! I hope to get my first fill soon - it has been cancelled twice due to insurance authorization not happening on time. I was banded 11/19 and have lost 16 pounds post surgery. My portions are about 1/2 what they used to be, but I'd like them to be a bit smaller (the fill should do this!).

Best of luck to all of you out there, and happy 2010!

Now I just need motivation to pack some bentos...

You know what is tasty? LF chive cottage cheese with a little salsa mixed in. Mmm. 90 calories, 13 grams of Protein for the cottage cheese 1/2 cup!

need some more Ideas Jeni? Have you seen this site, makes me want to go Bento Box!

Laptop Lunches: Photo Gallery

Happy New Year to all of you!

I appreciate the support. It helps tremendously! :)

May God bless us all with good health this year! Especially you ! I am thankful for your 2nd chance at awesome health!

Onward we go STOMPING into 2010 Lets Nail it!!!!

I PB'd for the first time this morning. Just when I was starting to brag that I never have. LOL! I'm not tight (had first fill 2 weeks ago). I simply ate too quickly. Just in case you want the gross details, it was collard greens.

need some more Ideas Jeni? Have you seen this site, makes me want to go Bento Box!

Laptop Lunches: Photo Gallery

Happy New Year to all of you!

What a great suggestion! You should definitely post this in "great food finds" in the food and nutrition forum. I am def gonna try this.

What a great suggestion! You should definitely post this in "great food finds" in the food and nutrition forum. I am def gonna try this.

Thanks Mellow but it is Jeni's Idea... :)) Can't take the credit but I can post he he he. I ordered my daughter a Bento Box that is on the site 2.0 version the one with the black case with the flowers on it. I ordered it on Amazon and saved $8 ( I used the money toward buying spare containers ;o) her birthday is next month and she really liked the Bento and wanted one, she is 12 and takes a lunch to school daily. I hope she uses it well!