Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aaack! Help! I'm freaking out!!!

Ok.. I had a fill this past Friday. It went well, and I followed the liquid diet for the 48 hours. I ate some lean brisket last night and it went fine. I had a slice of cheese this morning and finished a bowl of oatmeal at 10 am. No problems...

Now at noon, I took 5 motrin (for my knees) with a gulp of mint herbal tea (hot) and now I keep burping up (and puking up) what I think is motrin and tea. Feels like heartburn and i'm freaking out! Will it stop? Is the motrin stuck??? Am I too tight???

Anyone have some advice or information for me?

Thanks a bunch!!!

Probably to much air got down there with the gulp..wow 5 motrin...my dr. won't even let me take one..EVER AGAIN! lol..he said that anti inflmatory's would give me an ulcer faster than a cup of coffee a day..so i stay far away! lol

5 Motrin at one time is way too many! You will end up with an ulcer. You need to ask your doctor what you can take safely for your pain. You are probably having some serious acid reflux. You might want to take an antacid. Good luck!:biggrin:

Hi Strange,

I think it would be a really good idea to seek medical help from your surgeon with this one. Please let us know how you're doing!

My orthopedic doc has me taking 1600 - 2000 mg of Ibuprofin a day. My knee caps rub my bone plus I have athritis in one of my knees. It seems to be the only thing that works for my pain. Aleve and Tylenol dont help at all. I hear its bad for my liver... an ulcer, huh? hmmmmmmm... thats not good.

I'm just wondering why I had no problem with a whole bowl of oatmeal and here I am puking up tiny ibuprofin tablets??

As alarming as it is, you need to watch how you consume liquids as well as solids. You've trained yourself to go slowly and listen to your body while eating food, which is why you had no problem eating.

But taking a huge swig of Water and swallowing, I've found, has the same effect as eating something too fast. The stomach rejects it. This happened about an hour ago? In another hour drink a couple tablespoons of Water SLOWLY. If you reject it, wait another two hours and try the water again. Swelling should have subsided by that point and you'll be fine. If you still can't keep down liquids, that's an emergency call to your surgeon. (I had an experience almost EXACTLY like yours and this is what the nurses told me to do.)

As alarming as it is, you need to watch how you consume liquids as well as solids. You've trained yourself to go slowly and listen to your body while eating food, which is why you had no problem eating.

But taking a huge swig of Water and swallowing, I've found, has the same effect as eating something too fast. The stomach rejects it. This happened about an hour ago? In another hour drink a couple tablespoons of Water SLOWLY. If you reject it, wait another two hours and try the water again. Swelling should have subsided by that point and you'll be fine. If you still can't keep down liquids, that's an emergency call to your surgeon. (I had an experience almost EXACTLY like yours and this is what the nurses told me to do.)

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!! I am feeling better. Its been about an hour and a half since the puking, and I'm able to sip the tea now. I'm thinking on foregoing lunch... not too hungry after that horrible incident...

You have no idea how much sharing your experiences helps me! Thanks everyone!

You are not suppose to be taking NSAID's. You need to let your orthopedic doc know this. NSAID's such as motrin, advil and many others can cause ulcers in the stomach. This is why we bandsters are not suppose to be taking them.

Call your surgeon immediately and let them know what is happening and contact your ortho and ask them to prescribe something that isn't an NSAID.

You are not suppose to be taking NSAID's. You need to let your orthopedic doc know this. NSAID's such as motrin, advil and many others can cause ulcers in the stomach. This is why we bandsters are not suppose to be taking them.

Call your surgeon immediately and let them know what is happening and contact your ortho and ask them to prescribe something that isn't an NSAID.

I spoke with my surgeon and nurse last Friday specifically about the ibuprofin, and although they both agree it is hard on my liver, they both had no concern with my stomach or band.

Wow! We see many inconsistencies from surgeon to surgeon but the no NSAID's rule has always been pretty common between surgeons.

I sure hope it doesn't cause you any problems with your band.

Really? No NSAIDS? I just called my surgeon's office today about starting back with Celebrex since I discontinued 2 weeks pre-op (now over a month ago). My knee is down to bone on bone and pain comes with every step. The surgeon said that as long as I'm able to crush, cut, chew, or dissolve it, it was fine at this point. My primary care doc does check me out every 4 months (I've been on these things for ages, tho I still miss my Vioxx like crazy).

Really? No NSAIDS? I just called my surgeon's office today about starting back with Celebrex since I discontinued 2 weeks pre-op (now over a month ago). My knee is down to bone on bone and pain comes with every step. The surgeon said that as long as I'm able to crush, cut, chew, or dissolve it, it was fine at this point. My primary care doc does check me out every 4 months (I've been on these things for ages, tho I still miss my Vioxx like crazy).

I'm guessing it depends on what is right for that particular patient. If you cant walk because of the pain, and and NSAID is the best solution, it makes sense that he would take that route with that particular patient.

I take 600 mg, but I crush all my pills so they will not get stuck.

I take 600 mg, but I crush all my pills so they will not get stuck.

Since this last fill, I might have to start doing that or maybe taking 1 at a time.

Wow! We see many inconsistencies from surgeon to surgeon but the no NSAID's rule has always been pretty common between surgeons.

I sure hope it doesn't cause you any problems with your band.

Yes it is true every surgeon is different. I actually take Aleve and was only kept from it for the first three months. He wanted to wait until the healing process was complete before ok’ing it.

I only take non-prescription strength and never more. I also make sure I’m eating something with it to prevent any ulcers from forming. Not to say they never will but due to my arthritis and other things, this is the only medication that has ever worked the best for me.

The good thing about Aleve is you don’t need it as much or as often as your usual NSAID, but still can cause some issues.

I suggest anyone who has questions about using any NSAIDs should definitely seek one on one advice first from your bariatric surgeon. Especially if you are taking more than the recommended dosage and getting Rx strengths.