Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about Damage from SOda?

Okay i have had soda about 6 times since banded in July. i havent talked to my doctor about drinking soda, i have just seen on here that you shouldnt do it. I have had about 6 week spots where I have drank soda and i feel find after doing so, no problems. do you think i have caused damage or is if only possible to cause damage if you drink it on a daily basic. I just dont understand its liquid which goes right down,is it the carbonation they worry about? What is the damage from drinking soda?

You would probably be best served by asking your doctor this question. I know some folks that say that their docs forbid soda (for the carbonation), and I know some folks that say their docs are ok with soda.....so in this case see where your doc stands.

The worry is that the carbonation may stretch the pouch.My Dr has told me that I can drink it so long as it doesn't cause me any problems.It is something that I have very rarely but so far it has not hurt or been uncomfortable.

If you are concerned give your Dr a call and see what there opinion on it is.

I was such a Dt Dr Pepper addict that if I drank even one sip, I would be addicted again. My doctor says it's a NO-No for the rest of my band life.

I accidentally had a sip of orange Fanta over the summer (I thought it was Hi-C) and it HURT! My doc told me not to drink carbonated beverages, probably because the gas will stretch the pouch. Either way, I don't plan on trying it again. I was in pain for a couple of minutes just from that little drink.

hey guys, i just saw my dietition and surgon yesterday and they both said if i can handle it then there is no problems. Just be careful as sometimes it may bring food up in your stomach - all the best to you all

I asked my surgeon at my 6 month check up if I would ever be able to have carbonation again and he said absolutely NOT! I really don't understand why someone would go through a surgical procedure for weight loss and deliberately do something that could damage themselves. Makes no sense to me. Sorry! Just say it as I see it.

I don't drink much soda but I do like a beer now and then. My doc is fine with it, just told me to make sure I understand the additional calories.

I don't understand how it could stretch anything, ever hear of burping? Seems like the excess pressure would be released long before it could do any damage.

I guess now we know why the success rate for lapbanders is low. Because they have doctors giving them bad advice and some of their patients don't follow the rules of the band anyway. The no carbonation rule is stated all over the place in lapband literature. It is no surprise or late breaking news that bandsters can't have carbonation.

I just don't get it! The first several months on this site I encountered some really rude and obnoxious people and couldn't understand why they were this way. I now understand! They just got fed up with all the dummies who wont follow the rules.

I guess now we know why the success rate for lapbanders is low. Because they have doctors giving them bad advice and some of their patients don't follow the rules of the band anyway. The no carbonation rule is stated all over the place in LAP-BAND® literature. It is no surprise or late breaking news that bandsters can't have carbonation.

I just don't get it! The first several months on this site I encountered some really rude and obnoxious people and couldn't understand why they were this way. I now understand! They just got fed up with all the dummies who wont follow the rules.

This is a very blinkered view. Are you suggesting that your Dr's rules are correct and any Dr's rules that are different are incorrect.

A lot of the so called rules that a lot of bandsters follow are rules that seem to have no scientific basis. There are rules which seem to be rules in certain countries which are not rules in others.

I have just rechecked my "RULE" book. It was written by Prof. Chris O' Brien who was one of the original forerunners of the Lapband Surgery. There is no mention in it of no carbonation. Are you saying that he is incompetent and that anyone who follows his advice is a dummy...................?

I hope not!

This is a very blinkered view. Are you suggesting that your Dr's rules are correct and any Dr's rules that are different are incorrect.

A lot of the so called rules that a lot of bandsters follow are rules that seem to have no scientific basis. There are rules which seem to be rules in certain countries which are not rules in others.

I have just rechecked my "RULE" book. It was written by Prof. Chris O' Brien who was one of the original forerunners of the LAP-BAND® Surgery. There is no mention in it of no carbonation. Are you saying that he is incompetent and that anyone who follows his advice is a dummy...................?

I hope not!

You're just looking for an argument with this question. All I'm saying is all the band info out there that I have read when considering getting my band advised against carbonation for the duration of the band. This no carbonation rule is not new by any means.

I have no intention on pushing the envelope with my band because I want to be a success story. I'm not looking for a possible slip or erosion or any other kind of band failure. So when my surgeon gives me rules and guidelines I follow them to the T. Perhaps this is because I had to work hard to pay for my own surgery...I don't know. Perhaps it's because I am a rule follower.....or perhaps because I am not looking for excuses to eat or drink whatever I feel like. Who the heck knows!

Edited by happy2lose
Add another paragraph

No I'm not looking for an argument. I wasn't the one that made the comment

They just got fed up with all the dummies who wont follow the rules.

I find this very insulting.

perhaps because I am not looking for excuses to eat or drink whatever I feel like.

And this insinuates that someone that has an occasional soda is not committed and is just looking for excuses to eat anything. Again insulting.

There are lots of different rules out there. Just because some Dr's have different opinions to yours does not make them any less valid.

I think the most important thing is to always follow the rules that your Dr prescribes. He/she is the person that you trusted with your surgery so you should also be able to trust them with your aftercare.

No I'm not looking for an argument. I wasn't the one that made the comment

I find this very insulting.

If you find this insulting then perhaps it's because you know it's the truth.

And this insinuates that someone that has an occasional soda is not committed and is just looking for excuses to eat anything. Again insulting. Again, If you find this insulting then perhaps it's because you know it's the truth.

There are lots of different rules out there. Just because some Dr's have different opinions to yours does not make them any less valid. Again, not just my doctor's opinion

I think the most important thing is to always follow the rules that your Dr prescribes. He/she is the person that you trusted with your surgery so you should also be able to trust them with your aftercare.

Very true! I'm not the one quoting authors or books - you are!

I stand behind my comments and if anybody is insulted by them as "elcee" is, perhaps some sole searching is in order. :thumbup:

You were quoting rules, I quoted the rule book that I was given by my surgeon.

I am not trying to convince you that you should be drinking soda I am just trying to let the OP and anyone else that reads this thread know that they should be following the rules of their surgeon in regards to soda and anything else.

I stand behind my comments and if anybody is insulted by them as "elcee" is, perhaps some sole searching is in order. confused.gif

I also stand by mine. Not sure why you want us to go looking for our feet - I know where mine are. LOL.

Now can we just live and let live, following the rules of our own Dr?

Congrats on your success so far - you have done really well. Have a great day or night or whatever it is in your part of the world.