Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stupid newbie questions

But I'd rather ask "stupid" questions, than be stupid by not asking them. :)

1. Ok so... I've never had surgery before. Not that I remember anyway. When I was 2 they took out my tonsils & adenoids, but that's it. Never had so much as an IV - heck, not even a cavity. So I have no idea what the experience of general anesthesia is like. Can someone describe their experience? (I've had tons of broken bones, stitches once... so local, but never general)

2. From my research I've learned that true vomiting (not PB) can cause band slippage. Anything else? How about things like sit-ups? Or "straining" your abdominal area (you know, sometimes you just have to do that...).

3. Can you feel your band? During every day walking around, sitting, whatever - not just while you're eating -- do your insides feel different? Are there any activities you're not supposed to do once fully healed - e.g. situps? Tight bending?

4. I had lunch with a friend who had RNY. I confided in her that I was thinking about lapband (she lost 148 lbs in 7 mos!). She said that now she wishes she had gotten lapband rather than RNY b/c with her procedure there are foods you're simply not allowed to eat, but with lapband you can have anything that your body will tolerate. Is this true, or are there no-no foods? I'd always heard that you couldn't have certain things at all, like carbonated beverages, "scratchy" things like chips, or things that could get Gummy like soft break or cheetohs.

5. How big is the opening left by the lapband? I know it gets smaller with each fill, and I'd guess there are different size bands -- but in general, w/o fills, are we talking diameter of a quarter? Nickel? Dime? Smaller, like a pea?

I'll limit myself to outbursts of 5 at a time, so that should do me for the night.

I'm more and more serious about this the more I think about it -- as unappealing as aspects of it seem, I just can't believe that they're anything but small prices to pay for the lifetime of good. But as I get more serious, I also get more anxious... and I'd so much appreciate any & all input and feedback you guys have to share!

I lied! One more... (obviously I haven't been to an info seminar yet)

Assuming no fills yet -- does the band have air space in it, or is it filled with saline, but not full? (Think of a balloon that can have just enough Water in it that it holds its shape, but is nowhere near waterballoon full).

I ask b/c I scuba dive. Love it! And I'm wondering if I'd have to give it up. Does the band needs mass to hold its shape, or is the silicone rigid enough to hold its shape when empty? (a balloon full of air will look empty underwater, because it needs the air to keep its shape but the pressure compresses the gas, whereas something with solid structure like a metal tube will keep its shape because it does not rely on the air to keep its walls up).

TIA! :)

Whew! I gotta go to bed and get back at ya later, tater. Can't do all that tonight!!! But I will say having surgery is scary. It's all so sterile and medical, very intimidating. But once you get your meds, you don't remember a thing. Count backwards from 100, get to 95 if you are lucky, wake up, it's done. I'll get the rest tomorrow. Night!!!

Ok Tia, I will answer your ?'s From MY experience. But please remember that everyone is different.

1- I don't remember even getting the anesthesia. They gave me a shot in the pre op room and them wheeled me into OR. I remember the nurses putting those fun booties on me and my surgeon talking to me a little and then NOTHING!! The next thing I remember is someone calling my name. I was SO MAD and was thinking that I wish they would hurry up and get this F@$#ing thing over with and then she said "Terri, it's all over!" OH ok. I had no problems with up set tummy or anything. I was just VERY thursty.

2- I don't think that sit-ups can cause slipage? at least after a while. you need to let your tummy heal real good first. I do sit-ups all the time and it is one of the exercises the Dr. gave me to do. As for straining? Maybe, I think again it is fine (in moderation) as long as you have given your tummy time to heal.

3- I can not feel my band or my port. I know that some can feel their ports. But not me. Mine is pretty deep. All surgeons put them in different places and depths.

4- No there are no restrictions put on us. only the ones we experience ourself. Try something and if it doesn't work Don't do it again. Trial and err!! :) My surgeon said NO POP!! I have tried it and I can't do it so I don't try anymore. But there are some that can and do still drink it. LUCKY THEM!! I miss it!!

5- I don't know the answer to this one. I have a Vanguard 10cc band and am now up to 6cc's. I am now at a VERY good level!!

as for your last ?, I have NO IDEA WHAT SO EVER!!!! But it is a very good ?. My band had NO saline in it until 4 weeks after surgery.

THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS ON THIS SITE!!! ASK AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may not have the best answers but I am sure between everyone here you will get the answers you seek!!

Good Luck!

1. Ok so... I've never had surgery before. Not that I remember anyway. When I was 2 they took out my tonsils & adenoids, but that's it. Never had so much as an IV - heck, not even a cavity. So I have no idea what the experience of general anesthesia is like. Can someone describe their experience? (I've had tons of broken bones, stitches once... so local, but never general)

From my experience, I went into the operating room. I was nervous as I don't know what. The anesthesiologist made a lame joke, I faked a giggle and then I was out. I woke up in recovery, really drowsy, but other than that, it was a non event. I actually quite like the whole losing time thing heh.

2. From my research I've learned that true vomiting (not PB) can cause band slippage. Anything else? How about things like sit-ups? Or "straining" your abdominal area (you know, sometimes you just have to do that...).

I attend the gym 4 - 5 days a week and everyday work in some sort of ab routine. While it hurt a bit to do this about 2 months post surgery, now for me, its fine. I can do 100 crunches and not be affected by it at all. You just have to remember to take it slow at first, as the port is stitched into a muscle and that takes time to heal.

3. Can you feel your band? During every day walking around, sitting, whatever - not just while you're eating -- do your insides feel different? Are there any activities you're not supposed to do once fully healed - e.g. situps? Tight bending?

For about the first week or two, you can definitely feel different. After that, (for me anyway), you forget its there. The only time I feel anything is when I'm standing too close to heat (the stove or something like that) and then I feel my port. It doesn't hurt, I just know its there. I've not been told of anything I'm not allowed to do anymore.

4. I had lunch with a friend who had RNY. I confided in her that I was thinking about lapband (she lost 148 lbs in 7 mos!). She said that now she wishes she had gotten lapband rather than RNY b/c with her procedure there are foods you're simply not allowed to eat, but with lapband you can have anything that your body will tolerate. Is this true, or are there no-no foods? I'd always heard that you couldn't have certain things at all, like carbonated beverages, "scratchy" things like chips, or things that could get Gummy like soft break or cheetohs.

Each doctor is different with his instructions, as is each patient with what they can handle. Quite a few doctors say no carbonation. My doctor hasn't said that. In fact, during the information night I attended when asked about drinking beer, the surgeon said beer after surgery would be fine, in moderation. I can still eat most things that I did pre banding. The only foods that give me any issues now are fresh breads (turn too doughy) and gnocchi (same as fresh bread, turns doughy). Other than that, I can eat anything and do! The band is a tool - you have to learn to make wiser choices - but it definitely helps to do that.

5. How big is the opening left by the lapband? I know it gets smaller with each fill, and I'd guess there are different size bands -- but in general, w/o fills, are we talking diameter of a quarter? Nickel? Dime? Smaller, like a pea?

I honestly have no idea about this one. I've heard that its about the size of a golf ball, but I've never asked my doctor so I could be misinformed.

The band has been, with out a doubt, the best thing I've ever done for me (not including of course my marriage and daughter lol, but I don't count those as 'things'). While I still have quite a ways to go before reaching goal, I feel better than I've felt in ages. My self confidence has sky rocketed. I have energy to keep up with my daughter. I'm starting to feel sexy and that's something I haven't felt in ages. Good luck with your research and whatever decision you might make.

My experience with general anaesthesia has always been to go into the theatre awake (have had minor ops, wisdom teeth, heel spurs). they put the needle in your hand and tell you to count backwards and this incredibly sleepy feeling comes over you, its actually very pleasant. Then next thing you know you wake up in the recovery room.

I usually get the shivers really badly as i'm coming round, body racking shivers, they put warm blankets on you to warm you up. Then you're just incredibly sleepy on and off all day, and its really pleasant just to give in and have a nice little snooze.

I dont get sick with general anaesthesia, some people do.

I've always been home next day, feelign pretty good, tired and a bit slow but that's it. I usually get very morose and weepy though, that lasts a few days and then its all over.

its not all that traumatic.

I usually get the shivers really badly as i'm coming round, body racking shivers, they put warm blankets on you to warm you up.

I had forgotten all about that part! I get the shivers as well and ended up with like 4 blankets on after the surgery lol.

1. Can someone describe their experience? The anestisiaoligist(sp) put something in my IV, prior to my surgery. I looked over at my husband, giggled at him and passed out until the woke me up in recovery. I was there at 8:30 and at home by 1:30. I was swollen and in pain, pain meds helped and felt better every day an only ended up taking 3 pain pills total.

2. From my research I've learned that true vomiting (not PB) can cause band slippage. I was only banded on 9/23, so I am too new to answer that question.

3. Can you feel your band? I felt it after the swelling went down. I had to sleep in my recliner the first week, until I could I could lay sideways. I can now sleep on my stomach without any problem. The only time I feel my port is if I delibertly reach up and touch it.

4. I had lunch with a friend who had RNY. I confided in her that I was thinking about lapband (she lost 148 lbs in 7 mos!). She said that now she wishes she had gotten lapband rather than RNY b/c with her procedure there are foods you're simply not allowed to eat, but with lapband you can have anything that your body will tolerate. Is this true, or are there no-no foods? I'd always heard that you couldn't have certain things at all, like carbonated beverages, "scratchy" things like chips, or things that could get Gummy like soft break or cheetohs. I am on creamy liquids still and won't be on regular foods for another 3 weeks, so I can't answer this yet.

5. How big is the opening left by the lapband? I know it gets smaller with each fill, and I'd guess there are different size bands -- but in general, w/o fills, are we talking diameter of a quarter? Nickel? Dime? Smaller, like a pea? I have the VG which is the biggest band they make and I have no restriction right now.

I'll limit myself to outbursts of 5 at a time, so that should do me for the night.

Assuming no fills yet -- does the band have air space in it, or is it filled with saline, but not full? I am assuming that it has air in it...not really sure on this. The INAMED website may have more information.

New to the forum, so some of the acronymns are unknown to me. ie. What is PB in reference to vomiting? Considering the surgery but other anesthesia has always made me vomit. Will that cause the band to slip?

Pb is productive burp, when something is too large to go down it comes back up, think of a baby spitting up, it is not vomiting as there is no stomach acid involved.. There is an entire thread here: http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7959 about what all of the acronymns stand for.

As for the band holding it's shape while diving. The band is made of a ring of plastic with a tube on the inner ring, the actual plasitc band will hold everything in place. Does that make sense? There are pictures at http://www.inamed.com/products/obesity/us/patient/lapband/prodinfo.html

Hope this helps~Mandy