Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with IR or PCOS

I have PCOS and I have had great results from this surgery. I have lost 42lbs since October 10. I too am taking metformin 500mg2xdaily. I have not developed diabetes yet thank goodness. My cholesterol number have been cut in more than half. Needless to say I am more than pleased with my decision to have this surgery. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

I have it too. My blood sugar is under control now. I'm hoping maybe once I've lost this weight that I'll get pregnant (and actually stay pregnant, not miscarry in the first trimester). We'll see... :P

I also have PCOS with insulin resistance. I take 1500mg of Metformin a day (500mg 3X). My husband and I also struggled with infertility for four years until we finally got pregnant with our son. He is now 16mos old, so I just want to say that those of you who are trying to get pregnant, DON"T GIVE UP! I know its hard.....but dont give up please! Seeing a Reproductive Endocrinologist was what did it for us plus clomid with Met. Also(ignore my ticker I need to update it) I have lost 90lbs since March 30th with the band and it has been wonderful for me. Good luck!

Insulin Resistance is on my list. I am not sure about the PCOS, although I have cysts on my ovaries (and fibriods, yea) I have never actually been diagnosed. I suspect I have it, I have other symptoms.

I have never been clear on whether the fat you gain causes IR or does developing IR make it easier to make fat? My doctor has me on Actos since it is beneficial in helping high cholestorel, which I also have. Sadly, Actos usually causes weight gain.... although I have halfed my dose since banding and my BS numbers have looked good. I can lose weight when I try but it sure seems to be at a slower rate and I really have to work at it.

I have PCOS and IR too, and like the original poster, am one point away from diabetes, which is NOT okay with me. Heck that was 7 months ago, I might be there now.

And like others here, I have put weight on steadily. I am now 100 lbs overweight. I cant move normally, my body struggles with this fat on me. I have been thin or have lost weight only a few times in my adult weight, it was short lived and such a struggle, I could not sustain it.

I have hypoglycemia and thick chin hair that I have to shave everyday and I am also now losing what was once my crowning glory, my hair. I used to be a hair model, now you can see my scalp.

Beating this disease is worth getting banded, however I am a newbie here, sent by someone else to research the risks as other sites won't really tell you, and I am really scared about the erosion issue.

Is it worth erosion????????

I have pcos but not IR, I have lost almost 50pounds in less then 4 months. The big thing you will have to watch is your insulin level, as you loose weight you will need less and less drugs to keep your level in line.

Not a bad thing to watch, soon you will not need the pills.

:P

Is it worth erosion????????

It is worth pointing out that not everyone ends up with an erosion.

PCOS is one of those wonderful syndromes, that you can only ever hope to control the symptoms. There will never be a cure.

That said, weight loss is the #1 way to control the symptoms of PCOS and IR.

At almost a year out, I have found that I have regular cycles, the acne is all but gone (I get a single spot on my chin just before AF arrives) The hair on my arms has thinned out, and the hair on my chin grows back in after waxing slower than ever before. My sugars, and insulin are 100% normal.

To me it was, and still is worth the small risk of complication to get my weight under control, and get some control over my PCOS.

I do not have POCS but I am diabetic. Within the first two weeks of surgery I have dropped from 70 units of lantis to ten and dropped my Avandia (THANK GOD).Avandia makes it hard to lose weight It just puts weight on me. I take two Amaryl.

I have a drawer full of Glucophage that I can't take. It made me really sick and dizzy and put my blood sugar too low. But I wish I could, becuase my sugar was 111 3 months ago.

I too am PCOS and IR. Have never been able to get my weight off or pregnant for that matter,

I"m down -45lbs. a little slower then some but it's the first time in my life that I've been able to lose any sort of weight. I'm thrilled.

I was on 2000 mg of Metformin a day. I'm not on it right now since I don't have insurance and I was denied insurance because I had been on Metformin.

Anyway I love my band!