Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all. My name's Ashley, and I live in Alabama. I am 22 years old but have struggled with obesity most of my teen and adult life. I hit over 200 lbs my sophomore yr of high school. I was eventually able to get back down to 170, but in the past three years have gained 100 lbs. Weight has been so hard for me to control. And I've moved across the country twice, gotten married, and had a baby, so I've never made time to make my health a priority. But now that I am chasing around an 8 month old (who is well on her way to walking), I am reevaluating myself. I have been thinking about lap band for over a year and have just really researched it in the past six months after my cousin successfully had the operation in March. She has lost 70 lbs already! I want to lose weight to a) feel better and not be so tired all the time :( live a LONG and healthy life c) look good in clothes again. :scared2: Also when I was in the hospital after delivering my daughter the nurses told me that I stop breathing when I sleep and that I probably have apnea. And I'm only 22!!! I gotta take some control.

Like a lot of America, my husband was laid off from his job and his new position doesn't offer affordable insurance. It really sucks. So this has led me to look outside of the US for options. I have been looking at a lot of places in Mexico and have been reading many forums about doctors in Mexico. (This message board has also been sooo helpful.) While I want to be able to get the lap band, I absolutely do not want to risk my health by going to an unqualified surgeon. Specifically, I have done a lot of research on Dr. Liza Maria Pompa Gonzalez in Tijuana (limarp.com). I was wondering what any of her patients thought of her and the facilities.

The possibility of surgery scares me, especially going outsid the country, but the possibility of dying a premamture death for something that I can prevent is scarier! I suppose my main concerns are my safety during surgery, my aftercare, and to be able to have healthy pregnancies after the lapband (I want many more kids).

Any comments are welcome. Thanks for being a community I can come to that can give me their insight and first-hand experience! :)

- Ashley

Welcome Ashley, I hope you find the answers to all your questions, you picked a great place to look. :(

Thank you for the warm welcome! :thumbdown: I told my mom yesterday I was thinking about lap band and she is super supportive. I told my dad today and he is also supportive. I was kinda surprised that he was so supportive. Usually my dad is a "you just gotta have will power, eat right, and exercise" kind of guy, but I think he's seen my struggle with weight for far too long and he's a bit more objective now. Now I just gotta tell my in-laws. I'm super nervous about that because my husband and I live with them and my father in law is an MD. I'm not sure how he feels about lap band, but I'm just afraid they won't be supportive and that he may think it's the easy way out. But the good thing is my mom, dad, stepmom, and husband are on board! :thumbup:

Welcome! Oh how I wish lapband was available when I was in my 20's, I have had the band for about 6mos but I'm 48 years old and I only wish I could have done it sooner, go for it I don't think you will have any regrets!

I hope they as well stand behind u, I am sure they will. :thumbup:

And if not at least u have a great support system from the rest of ur family. Well keep me updated on ur journey, it's exciting, stressful, overwhelming all in one. :thumbdown:

Thanks, I will definitely keep you posted. I suppose right now my huge concern is if there are complications, I'm not sure what I would do. I don't have insurance and I planned on getting the surgery in Mexico. My husband's work offers BCBSIL but our portion of it is outrageous. I'm afraid that if something happens then I will be royally screwed.

Welcome. I am also in AL and had my surgery one month ago. I was fortunate enough to have mine cleared through BCBS. I have read many positive reports about lapband in Mexico. One thing to consider is..can you find a doctor near you in AL to fill your band? or will you have to go to your original surgeon each time to have it filled?

Thanks for responsindg! I definitely have to find a place to get fills close by. There is no way I can afford to go to Mexico every time. If anyone has any recommendations in the AL/GA/TN area (I'm halfway between Bham & Atlanta and go to Nashville all the time), then please let me know.

Also, if any of you are interested, I started a blog to chronicle my weight loss journey. You can find it here: A Band New Life

So far I have just written about the reasons I wanna do it and posted some photos.

Yay I got my surgery date for February 3, 2010!! Wish I could have done it sooner, but with the holidays coming up, it was certainly not feasible!

Hi!

I am also from Alabama (lower near Gulf Shores). Like you I was self pay. I chose to go to Europe to have my band done. There is a thread for Dr. Chris De Bruyne in the doctor/surgeon forum. He has been doing this procedure for 20 years and he's done over 6,000 surgeries in that time. He uses the newest type of band. From what I hear, Mexico uses the older band that was previously used in the US.

He is located in Belgium and my total cost with airfare was around $6,200. The price is in Euros so, if exchange rates change, your's may differ.

He has a complete package including hotel, surgery, hospital stay and all transportation from the airport, to the hotel, to and from the hospital, medications, etc.

Also, for fills....Dr. Dewitt in Birmingham accepts patients who have had their procedure out of the country.

Hi! I wish I'd known about your doc sooner. I honestly didn't even price getting surgery in Europe because I figured the airfare alone would break me. But I have sent my deposit and have my date, so I'm super excited. I'm very confident in Dr. Pompa Gonzalez, too. She seems great. Thanks for the info about Dewitt--I've heard good things. I'll get in touch with them. Thank you

Hello all. My name's Ashley, and I live in Alabama. I am 22 years old but have struggled with obesity most of my teen and adult life. I hit over 200 lbs my sophomore yr of high school. I was eventually able to get back down to 170, but in the past three years have gained 100 lbs. Weight has been so hard for me to control. And I've moved across the country twice, gotten married, and had a baby, so I've never made time to make my health a priority. But now that I am chasing around an 8 month old (who is well on her way to walking), I am reevaluating myself. I have been thinking about LAP-BAND®Â® for over a year and have just really researched it in the past six months after my cousin successfully had the operation in March. She has lost 70 lbs already! I want to lose weight to a) feel better and not be so tired all the time :smile2: live a LONG and healthy life c) look good in clothes again. :) Also when I was in the hospital after delivering my daughter the nurses told me that I stop breathing when I sleep and that I probably have apnea. And I'm only 22!!! I gotta take some control.

Like a lot of America, my husband was laid off from his job and his new position doesn't offer affordable insurance. It really sucks. So this has led me to look outside of the US for options. I have been looking at a lot of places in Mexico and have been reading many forums about doctors in Mexico. (This message board has also been sooo helpful.) While I want to be able to get the LAP-BAND®Â®, I absolutely do not want to risk my health by going to an unqualified surgeon. Specifically, I have done a lot of research on Dr. Liza Maria Pompa Gonzalez in Tijuana (limarp.com). I was wondering what any of her patients thought of her and the facilities.

The possibility of surgery scares me, especially going outsid the country, but the possibility of dying a premamture death for something that I can prevent is scarier! I suppose my main concerns are my safety during surgery, my aftercare, and to be able to have h

Hello all. My name's Ashley, and I live in Alabama. I am 22 years old but have struggled with obesity most of my teen and adult life. I hit over 200 lbs my sophomore yr of high school. I was eventually able to get back down to 170, but in the past three years have gained 100 lbs. Weight has been so hard for me to control. And I've moved across the country twice, gotten married, and had a baby, so I've never made time to make my health a priority. But now that I am chasing around an 8 month old (who is well on her way to walking), I am reevaluating myself. I have been thinking about LAP-BAND® for over a year and have just really researched it in the past six months after my cousin successfully had the operation in March. She has lost 70 lbs already! I want to lose weight to a) feel better and not be so tired all the time :smile2: live a LONG and healthy life c) look good in clothes again. :) Also when I was in the hospital after delivering my daughter the nurses told me that I stop breathing when I sleep and that I probably have apnea. And I'm only 22!!! I gotta take some control.

Like a lot of America, my husband was laid off from his job and his new position doesn't offer affordable insurance. It really sucks. So this has led me to look outside of the US for options. I have been looking at a lot of places in Mexico and have been reading many forums about doctors in Mexico. (This message board has also been sooo helpful.) While I want to be able to get the LAP-BAND®, I absolutely do not want to risk my health by going to an unqualified surgeon. Specifically, I have done a lot of research on Dr. Liza Maria Pompa Gonzalez in Tijuana (limarp.com). I was wondering what any of her patients thought of her and the facilities.

The possibility of surgery scares me, especially going outsid the country, but the possibility of dying a premamture death for something that I can prevent is scarier! I suppose my main concerns are my safety during surgery, my aftercare, and to be able to have healt

Hey Ashley! Congrats on getting your date! I'm not sure if this would be out of your way, but you could try Dr. Jamie Ponce in Chattanooga, TN for your fills (I'm from Cleveland, TN). He is going to be my surgeon, and he has awesome reviews!!! And you can find tons of info on him. Just google him!