Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my first negative response today :-(

And it was from someone that I will unfortunately see again, and again, and again. So here's the story:

I had my UPPER GI today and had it at the same facility that my surgeon's office is at, and is at the same place where my fills will take place. The x-ray tech comes in to take the first x-rays, and takes a look at me and the first thing out of her mouth is "How old are you?" So I told her my age (22), and the next question was "And why do you feel like you need this surgery?" in a very condescending tone. It was pretty hard to hide my shock and I told her I needed the surgery because I have been heavy all my life and I have tried to fix that on my own and couldn't do it and that I need help which the band will provide. She then proceeds to tell me that her 16 year old daughter said she wanted surgery, but it wouldn't be right for her because all she does is sit on the couch all day, and it seemed like she was insinuating that because I am young also, I must be like her daugher and haven't really tried to lose weight. I then told her that I have literally tried everything and that my surgeon wanted a list of all the diets and exercise that I have done, and she proceeds to ask me what I have done, like she thought I was lying!!! By this point, I am so shocked that I am almost crying and when the radiologist came in to introduce herself I felt like I was rude to her (not on purpose) because my head was still spinning from this lady interrogating me and I couldn't even think straight. I am still at the point where I don't really want to talk to anyone about the surgery (except on here) because I am having some trouble coming to terms with the fact that I failed trying to lose weight on my own and need the band to help me, and for me to be interrogated by someone who works with bariatric patients everyday really makes me mad. :cursing:

I'm just upset because I feel like that x-ray tech WOULD NOT have asked those same questions to someone who was older than me and I definitely feel like she was in the wrong. I am on this forum all the time and I constantly read about the only regret some people have is that they didn't have the surgery done sooner and I don't want to have that regret. Everyone that I have come in contact with regarding the Lap-Band® are amazing, and this is the first bit of negativity that I have felt regarding the band, and I just hate that that rude x-ray tech will most likely be the person who will be working when I get my Upper GIs for my fills. I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening.

Have you seen the movie Juno? If not, you'd love the scene with the ultrasound tech and the step mom. I never think of the right thing to say when someone is rude like that, but the step mom let the woman giving the ultrasound have it when she made a disrespectful comment to Juno. Just try to shake the negativity off. Easy to say, and hard to do, but that woman isn't worth two minutes of your day. I feel very sorry for her daughter.

Sounds like that woman had some issues and may have been that way with anyone. The older you get the more situations like these you'll have under your belt and be able to deal with easier! My daughter had her WLS when she was 20 and I'm glad it was something she was able to do for herself and it has made quite a big difference in her life. It wasn't the same procedure as yours will be but I wish you all the best with your lap band! Nancy.

Put in that position I would feel the same way you do. I know you are just venting but let me give you what I would do next.

I'd write a letter to the HR manager for that clinic & describe what happened, how you felt and that you feel no medical personnell should ever be condescending or judgemental about your decision and superimpose their own life history on to you. I would also add that if this Xray tech did this to you its been done others and will happen again.

What goes on medically with your body is between you and your doctor - no comments needed from the peanut gallery thank you.

I send letter for good and bad experiences I think its because I work in a position that is service oreinted and hate to just hear compliants so I make sure good service gets rewarded and bad service is noticed.

You are paying for this, you probably think its all insuarnce but you pay premiums right?

Get on it, it doesn't have to be a hateful letter/email just one of stating the facts. Think of what thos tech put others thru?

There is a great deal of difference between a 16 yo and a 22 yo - one big one is legal age to make your own decisions. And what chaps my hide is that she asked your age when she had you chart either physically or elctronically - she was being a bully.

Bad bully, bad-:cursing:

whew --

t

I am 32 but got the same attitude when I went to my gastroenterologist & had to see an associate dr because mine wasn't available. This was a couple weeks ago & I have only been talking about getting the band- I haven't yet. The assoc dr looked at me like I was a lazy slob who wanted a quick fix.

I tried to be polite & calm as she, who you could tell had never had weight issues, told me that it was something that young people really shouldn't expect to solve all our problems. She then continued to go on about how if I really made an effort I would see this wasn't necessary. It just takes discipline. She also remarked how after I had children I might feel different about playing russian roulette with my body.

I was so floored at her attitude that I gave her my reasons, explained my issues & what I had done and remarked, 'actually, I've already had 1 child, my almost 2 yr old daughter. Being obese through a pregnancy was one of the scariest & worst experiences and I want to do everything I can to make my life and hers the healthiest possible.'

She shut up a bit but obviously was not going to support this 'radical' bariatric intervention.. (whatever lady!)

I made it clear to this dr that I knew I wasn't an expert and I would trust her opinion as well as others. If any of my drs didn't think it was a good idea for me, I'd likely not get it done. That being said, I wanted to see my regular gastroenterologist.

I saw my reg gastroenterologist today & he was supportive & overwhelmingly agreed that surgery is the right decision for me. When I explained about his assoc's position & my last appt he acted shocked & disappointed. He didn't say, but I got the impression they would be having a quick chat about it.

I'd definitely tell someone that you'd prefer not to work with that tech in the future. You have the right to request medical personnel you trust. As i'm pre-band too, I feel very emotionally fragile about having to defend this big decision and it sure can ruin your day having to deal with idiots like that.

Just who does this x-ray tech think she is? Her questions, advice and whatever else she threw at you was unwarranted, unwelcome and unprofessional. You do not need to explain your life to someone who comes in and had a single job to do. She's not operating on you, she's not treating you, she has nothing to do with your life other than to take an xray!

I can't tell you how much your experience galled me. Her lack of tact was unacceptable. Please take the advice above and write that letter, and do not let ANYONE dictate to you how you shoudl live your life.

We support you here, because we understand you. She needs to learn how to act like a professional and keep her personal opinions out of her workplace.

Good luck!

Just who does this x-ray tech think she is? Her questions, advice and whatever else she threw at you was unwarranted, unwelcome and unprofessional. You do not need to explain your life to someone who comes in and had a single job to do. She's not operating on you, she's not treating you, she has nothing to do with your life other than to take an xray!

I can't tell you how much your experience galled me. Her lack of tact was unacceptable. Please take the advice above and write that letter, and do not let ANYONE dictate to you how you shoudl live your life.

We support you here, because we understand you. She needs to learn how to act like a professional and keep her personal opinions out of her workplace.

Good luck!

I get a lot of ... look how much weight you have lost on your own ... you don't need surgery.... Heck I don't want it to return with a vengence in 6 months... thats my "MO"

Bottom line is....the woman was out of line. Age? yeah, maybe. The rest....HELL NO. The fact that she asked you was unacceptable. Complain to the management office of the facility.

OR

Forgive the tone of voice and think that perhaps she's wondering why anybody would do it...and how that might apply to her daughter.

Life always offers choices.

The technician was breaching ethical protocols in several ways:

asking why you were having the procedure;

debating with you on the merits of your decisions;

this is a professional ethics and behavior issue and I strongly encourage you to document (unemotionally) your experience and report it to both the organization AND the licencing body for the profession.

The technician is not qualified to give medical opinion; not allowed to disuss treatment options; should not be discussing her family member's (breach of their privacy)...

Document and report.

Im gonna be blunt here. You should have told her to mind her own fuckin business and not be concerned with why u are having ANYTHING done. You didnt have to answer any of her questions. She had no right to interrogate you like that and you should have reported her. Maybe she should work on her relationship with her overweight daughter, cause with a mother like that, its no wonder the kid is overeating. Good luck!!!:cursing:

And it was from someone that I will unfortunately see again, and again, and again. So here's the story:

I had my UPPER GI today and had it at the same facility that my surgeon's office is at, and is at the same place where my fills will take place. The x-ray tech comes in to take the first x-rays, and takes a look at me and the first thing out of her mouth is "How old are you?" So I told her my age (22), and the next question was "And why do you feel like you need this surgery?" in a very condescending tone. It was pretty hard to hide my shock and I told her I needed the surgery because I have been heavy all my life and I have tried to fix that on my own and couldn't do it and that I need help which the band will provide. She then proceeds to tell me that her 16 year old daughter said she wanted surgery, but it wouldn't be right for her because all she does is sit on the couch all day, and it seemed like she was insinuating that because I am young also, I must be like her daugher and haven't really tried to lose weight. I then told her that I have literally tried everything and that my surgeon wanted a list of all the diets and exercise that I have done, and she proceeds to ask me what I have done, like she thought I was lying!!! By this point, I am so shocked that I am almost crying and when the radiologist came in to introduce herself I felt like I was rude to her (not on purpose) because my head was still spinning from this lady interrogating me and I couldn't even think straight. I am still at the point where I don't really want to talk to anyone about the surgery (except on here) because I am having some trouble coming to terms with the fact that I failed trying to lose weight on my own and need the band to help me, and for me to be interrogated by someone who works with bariatric patients everyday really makes me mad. :cursing:

I'm just upset because I feel like that x-ray tech WOULD NOT have asked those same questions to someone who was older than me and I definitely feel like she was in the wrong. I am on this forum all the time and I constantly read about the only regret some people have is that they didn't have the surgery done sooner and I don't want to have that regret. Everyone that I have come in contact with regarding the Lap-Band®® are amazing, and this is the first bit of negativity that I have felt regarding the band, and I just hate that that rude x-ray tech will most likely be the person who will be working when I get my Upper GIs for my fills. I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening.

Amen, Sister!!! My thoughts exactly!

Thanks everyone for your responses! I am glad to be reassured by everyone that I was not overreacting and that this lady was really in the wrong.

I do plan on doing something about it, though. I was told to expect a survey and comment card in the mail, so I will be letting the people at the facility know what happened. I think I am going to write a letter also. That lady needs to know what she did was unacceptable.

The technician was breaching ethical protocols in several ways:

asking why you were having the procedure;

debating with you on the merits of your decisions;

this is a professional ethics and behavior issue and I strongly encourage you to document (unemotionally) your experience and report it to both the organization AND the licencing body for the profession.

The technician is not qualified to give medical opinion; not allowed to disuss treatment options; should not be discussing her family member's (breach of their privacy)...

Document and report.

Well said!!!

hey mary....

next time...give her a BIG

M.Y.O.B

tell her you have your own support system. i wish i would have done this years ago......

good luck on your journey

josie