Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need all the help I can get .... Anyone out there?

Hi all I have been researching the lapband for quite sometime and now its finally in the works but I have so many mixed emotions I thought all questions were answered but there is still so much I am scared, confused , worried all and everything from comlplications to the diet to the smoking I just don't know pleeeezzzzz if anyone has any ANY advice I will embrace it with open arms.. Thank You in advance.:thumbup:

Hi there-

I've been on this site for a while. I reserached band for a year before I went to the doc and started the process and I'm at the point now where I am waiting for Insurance approval.

I too have had mixed emotions and a 'flip out' but this site as well as my support team allowed me to work thru that.

There are lots of us here for you - so check out preop question thread and ask a away.

The important thing to remember is you have to be ready to make the change and only you know if you are ready for that.

I am new to the process and new to this site. My advice is to browse, browse, browse...then get on chat. I learned more real life information in my 20 min of chat than I had from all the binders and literature I'd been given to date!

Good Luck!

Thank You Tina,

I too am waiting for insurance approval it is driving me insane ..... the bigest problem I have is that noone in my family and friends know so I really have noone to talk or confide in so I feel so trapped I wish I didn't have to do it this way but no one I know supports me.:thumbup: I just wish they understood me .

Thanks LTOT123

Thats what I have been doing but I think I am getting a little overwhelmed.

Hi Noura,

I think you're probably right on track as far as mixed emotions. It's a big step and not always easy. Lots of us feel like we're saying goodbye to our best friend, food. What we're really letting go of, hopefully, is overeating, but from that, feelings can arise, and that, along with keeping motivated to exercise and make healthy choices can sometimes be difficult. It's different for each one of us, but the rewards are worth it.

You mentioned smoking? I'm not a smoker, so can't offer any advice there, but this site is fantastic as far as encouragement and support. Keep posting, and if you can, let us know specifically what your fears are.

Again, there are lots of people who haven't told anyone about getting a LAP-BAND®, which is another good reason to come here.

Good luck, and let us know how we can help.

Debbie.

Edited by serenity55

Thank you , thank you, I am glad I am not the only one. I am having emotional issues regarding my fears also. My surgery date is the 4th of November, only a week and a half away. aahh. excited and scare all at the same time.

I know this is normal and I will be fine and soo will you. Just keep talking about it on here or in a support group and we will all get through this.

After care is so important too! Support groups or a therapist I was told are great methods for the big changes that lie ahead.

Good luck and God Bless!

Fellow bandster.:thumbup:

I am new at this also....I have been waiting and fighting with the insurance for a solid year...now that the surgery date is set for Nov. 5th I am wondering about the unknkown and scared...sometimes I wonder if the roadblock was put in the way for the past 12 months, or my imangination....surely the Lord would not want me to be unhealthy? However, I am starting on the Pre-Op diet and that is not too bad, but I am sure 5 weeks into it, food will have a whole new meaning...hang in there...I too have been reading, reading and researching, so I come to the board for inspiration.:thumbup:

Hi there.

I was banded about 6 weeks ago and can tell you that my experience has been extremely positive for me.

What you will probably have noticed is that few, if any, of the posters here will tell you what to do with this decision. I wondered why when I first came to this site. Surely with all the experience and knowledge out there people must have opinions...and yes, we all do! The thing is, none of us can make a decision this big for you.

My advice, for what it is worth, is for you to continue to do exactly what you have been doing and that is to seek as much information as you can before you make the decision. As for not telling people, I can only say that the support that I have had from those around me, especially my wife, but also close friends and family, has made the days when you question your sanity in doing this easier, and allowed me to progress to the days when I can clearly see why this was a decision that has saved my life.

I wish you all the best in your decision making and hope you find the support you need.

Cheers.

Noura......if you need someone to talk to or vent to I could lend an ear. :wink2: You really do need to talk to someone about this. I think it really helps. I am also going through everything. I am at the pre-op stage and my surgery date is set for Nov. 5th. Really if you need to talk or just need some support you can call on me. :cryin:

I know that waiting is the hardest, especially those waiting for insurance approval. Some of what I would suggest has already been mentioned: support group is a wonderful idea. I started going to them probably six months before surgery. You meet people at all stages pre and post op, some who are thinking about it and want more information, others with issues they want to share, and successes. It really helps. Read as much as you can, here, at Lapband.com, or books (I have two, The Lapband Solution and The Lapband Companion, both available on amazon.com), and read here. Here you will read the good, bad, and ugly. I was so ready by my surgery date I joked that I could probably do the procedure on myself.

It is normal to have mixed emotions. You are taking a big step towards a healthier life. I have gone from taking 2 BP meds, 2 cholesterol meds, a reflux med, and pain med for my knee arthritis to 1 BP med, 0 cholesterol med, pain med as needed. In clothing I have gone from 2X or Women's 22 to Small-Medium and size 10 Misses. Other than being broke from buying clothes, it has been so worth it. My problem was Portion Control. Even if I ate something healthy I ate too much. The band has helped me curb the quantity, making it easier to eat good stuff, just less of everything.

Hang in there!

Noura, a certain amount of nerves are completely typical and normal. The best way to calm yourself is with answers. Why don't you tell us your questions and maybe we can help with that part!

You did mention smoking. Smoking is bad and you know that already. The particular issue is that it can negatively impact your recovery from any kind of surgery. And smoking and anesthesia aren't all that compatible either. Almost all surgeons will insist that you stop smoking. That doesn't mean you have to do it white knuckles; there are over-the-counter and prescription products that can help you with that.

Diet? Do you mean the pre-op or immediate post-op diets? Or do you mean over the long term? Like I said, let us know what your questions are specifically and we'll try to answer.

Thank you all sooo much for all the comments. I feel good to know there are genuine people out there, good luck to all of you!!!

Parrothead, Where do I begin.....

I can't even go to my husband for support,

my friends say hey your nuts you are not that big, but I

know I gotta do it for me.....

I tried to quit smoking and thats a battle in itself but I am gonna try

Patches or the gum.

and someone mentioned even good food to much is not good

snd my biggest concern is Portion Control, that i struggle with I feel alot better after reading the threads on here , just wish i knew someone personally.

Edited by NouraShuman

Noura, check with your surgeon's office to see if there's a support group in your area (being that you're in Chicago, I would think you'd have some options). The support group I attend in VA always has several people that are just there for info, and now the doctors have made it a requirement for all prebandsters to attend at least one meeting.

Noura I have to say that I had the same reaction from folks I told...you aren't that big. I am 5'2" and weighed 202. So not hundreds of pounds to lose but enough to know that I would only have gained more and more to 300 lbs. My husband did go to the seminar with me...it was our wedding ann. so I shamed him into it...but was encouraged to stay on board with me which he has. I was banded on 10/20 and I am getting a little sick of Protein drinks...but what of it. I am 61 years old and I want to live a lot longer. As of this morning I am 181 and I have lost 7 lbs since surgery. Not a lot but enough for me to know that this was the right thing for me. The pain was tolerable and I would do it over again in a heartbeat.

Just follow the steps and see where they lead and make an informed decision for YOU not your friends, family or husband. About smoking, I would rather be thin than smoke my 3 packs of Marlboro's a day. And with the money saved, I can buy a new wardrobe lol

Cheers

Lois