Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters 2009

Hi everyone!

I got my approval letter yesterday, and after being initally denied by Aetna, saying I am overjoyed is an understatement! :tongue2: My surgery is scheduled for December 7th in WDC with Dr. Brian Long. I have a one week liquid diet and that's it, all of my tests have been completed. I am a bit nervous but THANKFUL that I have found this site and made contact with such nice people willing to share their stories and give advice.

BEST OF LUCH TO ALL OF US "DECEMBER DELIGHTS":thumbup:

Thank You for that wonderful welcome.

Typo. I am scheduled for 5:00 am on the 8th.

Congrats to abby lamb and happyme2009.

A speedy recovery wish to you both. :tongue2:

I had my psych and dietician consults yesterday afternoon. They each went well.

The psychologist had the lap band done in May. He's lost about 27 pounds so far, with about 25-30 pounds more to go. While it was nice to get first hand information from him, I'm not too sure he is a great example of how to work the band. He admitted to still eating McDonalds (although not very much) and not exercising. And he still drinks soda. He had me do all the questions (like 5 or 6 different tests). But he didn't ask me about whether I had a support group (like family or friends), which I thought a bit odd.

Then, I went and met with the dietician and she is promoting NO BREAD! She did say if you have to have bread, make it well toasted wheat bread. That's not a problem. But when talking about starting the high Protein low carb diet right away, I forgot to ask her how low I should aim for the carbs, and how much Protein I should get. I'll have to call her this afternoon and ask her as I started a nutrition tracker and want to make sure I'm get the amounts I need.

It is quite possible by early next week, I'll have a surgery date! I'm getting excited. I told the ladies at work that I take a break with that I'm starting a diet so that when I finally get the band, it isn't odd that I'm losing weight. However, at this time, I'm not telling them about the band.

From what I've read, having to do the Liquid Protein diet can be hard, so I'm glad my surgeon is having me do a solid food high protein diet. At least I can still eat. Oh, and it's interesting, he doesn't want me doing any Liquid Protein supplements. When I was over at WalGreens buying some Protein Bars for Breakfast, I saw that Special K has a protein supplement drink (sort of like Crystal Lite) but I didn't buy it.

Today is the first day of my new life style.

hey everyone.. december 23rd here!!! just found out yesterday.. i am super excited!

Hi everyone!

I got my approval letter yesterday, and after being initally denied by Aetna, saying I am overjoyed is an understatement! :tongue_smilie: My surgery is scheduled for December 7th in WDC with Dr. Brian Long. I have a one week liquid diet and that's it, all of my tests have been completed. I am a bit nervous but THANKFUL that I have found this site and made contact with such nice people willing to share their stories and give advice.

BEST OF LUCH TO ALL OF US "DECEMBER DELIGHTS":thumbup:

Hi Happy,

Welcome and congrats on your approval! That's awesome. I'm not feeling the love for Aetna right now. I was denied by them too. And the surgeon's office I was going to said that an appeal would be pointless because I have documentation that shows my BMI was under 40 (for like five minutes) during the past two years. Two surgeon's offices sad that actually. I was so discouraged, that I just decided to pay for it myself (financed). So I was wondering... did YOU file the appeal or did your surgeon's office? I'm thinking about sending my own appeal, complete with all the fat photos I can find (there aren't many - I usually destroy them). Heck!, maybe I'll even make a video like you do when you apply to be on Survivor! They can only say no again, right?

Hi Happy,

Welcome and congrats on your approval! That's awesome. I'm not feeling the love for Aetna right now. I was denied by them too. And the surgeon's office I was going to said that an appeal would be pointless because I have documentation that shows my BMI was under 40 (for like five minutes) during the past two years. Two surgeon's offices sad that actually. I was so discouraged, that I just decided to pay for it myself (financed). So I was wondering... did YOU file the appeal or did your surgeon's office? I'm thinking about sending my own appeal, complete with all the fat photos I can find (there aren't many - I usually destroy them). Heck!, maybe I'll even make a video like you do when you apply to be on Survivor! They can only say no again, right?

Thanks for the welcome Karyn! TRUST me I understand about not feeling the love for Aetna...I was so down in the dumps when my surgery was denied, especially since everything else (pre-op tests and evaluations) had already been done! First, I would disagree that it is pointless to appeal based on your BMI b/c my BMI has never been 40 or over. My surgeon's office submitted my appeal, but I went to each of my doctor's and got letters of recommendation for surgery from them and how the LapBand would improve the conditions they were treating me for (THANKS SUZANNE) and I wrote 2 letters (one personal, one statistical..THANKS SUZANNE AGAIN) and took all of those letters to my surgeon's office and they submitted them to Aetna along with a letter from my surgeon recommending surgery and it's health benefits to me. I didn't send any photos. Another member here (if you haven't guessed, her name is SUZANNE, lol) shared her letters with me and I will be happy to share mine with you if you decide to move forward with your appeal. Just like you said, the worst they can say is "no" and they've said that already, so you don't have anything to lose! I say GO FOR IT! Let me know if you have any more questions or if I can help.

Hey everyone! I just got my surgery date today and I'm scheduled for December 9th! I am SO excited! I have been working on this since June. I had to do an ALL day pre-op class and then I had my surgery consult and the doctor watns me on a 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery, so, the plan is to start the Friday after Turkey Day! YAY! I had to do a pulminary function test, chest x-ray and a TON of blood work! So, I now have my surgery date, FINALLY!

As for the pre-op diet, I asked my doctor's nurse about it and the dietician and they said that they don't require a specific brand, but, that the Protein has to be twice as much as the carbs. They weren't too specific about calories, but, I'm trying to keep them under 200-220 calories. My 30th birthday is Nov. 28th.... I think I'll get the cake batter flavored Muscle Milk Light :biggrin:

For Vitamins, I was told that they HAD to be specifically for bariatric surgery patients. I tried the Bariatric Advantage brand and REALLY didn't care for them. I tried Celebrate Bariatric Vitamins and they were a LOT better and they're a little cheaper. They gave us info today about optisource vitamins with a sample and they're good too, so, I'll look into them.

Anyway, I've rambled enough! I'm looking forward to bonding with everyone! Talk to you soon! :(

Welcome to danielle and Irishbookworm and anyone else who has found this thread! I've added you both to the list, but think I'll wait a day or two to post it again. I think it's safe to say that we're all excited (and maybe a little bit nervous) about the surgery and life with the band. There's a lot to know... and a lot ot take in. But there's a bunch of information here. Have you guys been reading some of the other boards? The November bandsters are, one at a time, getting banded and seem to be getting through the surgery just fine. Some have gas, others have pain near the port. But everyone is okay and seems happy with the decision - that's been my observation anyway. I'm excited for them... and us. I have my endoscopy on Friday, so I'll let you know how that goes (it doesn't sound fun).

I dont have my date yet but my dr is shooting for the 3rd week of december. Since I am a teacher, this would be great because I can recover during the winter break. I cannot wait to get my date.

This is my first time posting and don't know how to put the ticker tape and goodies on my post, can someone help me??

I have a date of 12/3 at 7:30 and I am so excited and can't wait. I went for my nutrition meeting Mon. I start my pre op diet of 2 shakes and a smart ones dinner for 1 week on 11/20 and my liquid diet on Thanksgiving day, boy this will be rough.All I have left to do is attend a support meeting this Thursday and then all I will have to do is just wait.

Hi Everyone! I just got my approval today (after two appeals w/Aetna) and am hoping my surgeon can get me in before the end of the year. I should hear back from them tomorrow. So excited!!!

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself, since I'm being banded in December as well.

December 1st, the day after my 29th birthday. I'm nervous, for sure, but SO excited.

No pre-op diet as of yet, but I have pre-admission on the 23rd.

I'm so glad that I found this site, since it'll be nice to have (and give) support to people in the same situation. With my surgery I'm required to go to monthly support group meetings for 12 months afterwards, but it's a bit more informal when it's just folks you met on the 'net!

Good luck to all of us!

-Miranda :biggrin:

Sorry to everyone who's new for not posting for a couple of days! Welcome and congrats! Thanks to KarynA for putting up the dates for everyone. I am the last this month to be banded because of my smoking. Here's an update. Sunday, of this week, I went down to 15 cigs for the day. Monday, to 10. Tue., to 5. And yesterday I QUIT! :thumbup: Yes, I've been smoke free for 24 hours. I am taking Chantix but all it did was make my cigs taste like crap! I still want them. Haven't thrown them out yet. But I will. I want the band that badly. And I want to be a non-smoker for good. Getting the band will prolong my life. What good is that if I still smoke? Anyway, thanks for the words for encouragement and welcome, welcome, welcome everyone!

congrats on being an ex-smoker!!! :thumbup: do you know you potentially gained 14 years of life just by quitting? good for you! that is one of the hardest things anyone can do. keep at it!

Surgery date is 12/28 for me! Woo!