Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters 2009

Welcome Suzy! So far three of us to be banded on the same day. Can't wait for mine, but I'm nervous too.

Hopefully, we can all keep in touch and let each other know how our journey is going, share successes, questions, issues, etc!

It's really nice to have this forum and hear from people going through the same things as I am.

Changes are good but this not smokin' is making me a flamin' bit**. Last night I ripped off the patch and smoked 3 cigs :eek:! I know. I know! Bad Girl. I've got a new one on today and am trying like crazy not to think about it. Since my day is Dec. 2nd I figure by Nov. 2nd (doc says one month no smokin') I'll quit for good. Ya, I know all about shopping at Torrid and Lane Bryant. I can't wait to be able to go to a regular store and buy regular clothes. How are you all doing on the preop diet? I was doing great until I tried to quit smoking too. Oh my, oh my!!! Help!!!!:thumbup:

Hey Everyone,

Being banded December the 4th. So excited. I'm really happy to have these forums where I can chat to people who are going through the same thing.

Illuminationlady, I have just quit smoking after having smoked over a decade. I tried Patches, nicotine chewing gum, little nicotine things like mints, cold turkey, you name it over the last couple of years. I mentioned on my Facebook I was trying to quit and one of my friends piped up and told me to read 'Alan Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking'. I read the book and I haven't smoked since. If you are going to read the book, and I know this sounds stupid, stop using the Patches and continue to smoke until he asks you to stop in the book, you will see why.

To all the other's who have posted, I look forward to sharing my journey with you all :thumbup:

Best of luck to you all, It can be so worth it.

tbird- thank you so much for your input i will def ask those questions the next time i see my surgeon.

Hi! I'm scheduled for Dec. 17th. Very exciting to well on my way to being ready for that date. My biggest problem is a ruptured tendon in my foot. :blink:Ouch! I hope that doesn't get worse and make it hard to exercise. I did buy the Wii Active game so I can at least do upper body stuff.

I'm curious what kind of Protein drinks you've been told about. Bariatricadvantage.com was recommended to me. But, where else can I find the Vitamins and drinks?

Hi! I'm scheduled for Dec. 17th. Very exciting to well on my way to being ready for that date. My biggest problem is a ruptured tendon in my foot. :blink:Ouch! I hope that doesn't get worse and make it hard to exercise. I did buy the Wii Active game so I can at least do upper body stuff.

I'm curious what kind of Protein drinks you've been told about. Bariatricadvantage.com was recommended to me. But, where else can I find the Vitamins and drinks?

You will be having surgery one year from my surgery date. Running has helped me a lot, I hope you get that tendon healed. We bought Boost Glucose Control as our Protein Drink, they taste very good, and if you watch CVS and Walgreen you can catch sales and stock up.

Oh, regarding Vitamins, the band doesn't require special vitamins like bypass surgery. I have just taken my regular One-a-Day for the past year. Several blood tests later,l all is well in that regard.

Edited by BillOh

Welcome Suzy! I went to a support group meeting too and found it very informative. Nice to talk face to face with some bandsters....hugh? My surgeon doesn't require any form of diet but wants all patients to lose at least 10 lbs by surgery. Funny how they are all different! MY biggest hurdle is the smoking. I went and got my Chantix filled yesterday and will start on Nov. 2nd (I'm going out of town and didn't want to totally ruin my trip). Anyway, welcome to our group. Hopefully we can all support each other as time grows closer. Does anyone know how to make this thread sticky so it doesn't get lost? I also wish I had named the thread December Bandsters 2009. I tried to contact the CEO and no response. Oh well! Just keep posting everyone!!!

I'm HOPING to be December, if not November bandster. I've been taking Chantix since September 12th and... miracle of miracles... it's working. I remember smoking that first week while taking it (because you can) and on the last day thinking that there is no way in heck I'm not going to want a cigarette tomorrow. And I did... but the urge goes away. It really isn't awful. I've actually given myself the 'okay' to have a cigarette a day (originally, I gave myself the okay to have two) and most days, I just don't want or need one... at all. I do feel a little bit depressed (side effect), but honestly, I think that has more to do with the not knowing when my surgery will be. Anyway, I just thought I'd share my experience. Good luck to you... on all fronts! :thumbup:

I've got a December 2 2009 date. Exciting but scary. My drs. have lots more preop fun in store for me: EKG, Chest xray, Upper GI, abdominal songram, pulmonary function test, medical clearance (again), loads of bloodwork, nutrition classes, Optifast for 2 weeks, and more.

I have to cook for Thanksgiving. Yikes. Any strategy for getting through that?

Best of luck for all december bandsters!

Boost Glucose Control, I thought that was a diabetes drink. Cool. My doc said Carnation Instant sugar-free drink too. Funny how they didn't say I should just continue taking my One-a-day. They gave me this long list of how much of each Vitamin and mineral I'll need daily so I assumed it was more then the over the counter ones.

weight.png

Edited by librarychick
ticker

My surgeon and I are shooting for the week of December 14.

I started my pre-op diet this week. My surgeon wants me to lose 5 lbs.

But the main goal, the nutritionist tells me, is to begin to establish habits of the way I am going to have to eat following surgery.

I have to eat 6 times a day, each time must include Protein and a varied amount of carbs, fats etc depending on the time of day. I have to cut back on my portions as well.

She put me on a plan to cut back on my coffee intake. I drink a LOT of coffee. So, I'm getting weaned back gradually, mercifully.

I can't have anything to drink 20 minutes prior to, during, or for 20 minutes after I eat.

Ten days prior to surgery, I go on an all liquid diet which I'm NOT looking forward to.

I have an Upper GI this Friday .. another thing I'm not looking forward to.

Edited by Drasan

Garden-nut - Isn't there anyone else in your family who can cook for Thanksgiving? That seems like some pretty cruel and unusual punishment to have to cook Thanksgiving dinner when you're on Optifast!! You're a braver soul than I and I'll be sending good vibes your way that day! :thumbup:

Hi everyone,

I am to be banded December 3rd also! I think it's funny how we all get banded in bundles, lol. Anyhow, I am self pay and chose to have surgery away from home. I have been trying to find a regular support group in town because I don't get the" full package" having chosen out of the country care. I feel ready and have an awesome support system here. I do get nervous when I hear others talk about pre surgery classes/ special tests though. I don't want to miss out on a vital part. kwim?

I have been looking into wls for about 10 years, and have seriously considered it for the past three. I feel very well informed about the surgery itself, and only a little nervous to go through it. I will be going with a friend who is also getting banded. It's nice to share December with all of you!!

~Mya:biggrin:

I hope you don't mind if I join you. I don't have a scheduled surgery date yet, but we are definitely shooting for December. I am self-pay, so I don't have to worry about jumping through any insurance hoops.

I've already secured the financing. I'm financing about 1/3 of the cost, taking a loan from my 401(k) for about 1/3, and withdrawing the rest from my IRA. Since my surgery is totally out of pocket, I won't get hit with the 10% penalty of the IRA, as the total cost will be in excess of 7.5% of my adjusted gross income.

Next Tuesday, 11/10, I have both my psych consult and my dietitian consult. My surgeon should have the results from both by 11/13. Then it's just a matter of scheduling the surgery and making sure I can get the time off work (which shouldn't be a problem considering it's a medical issue and not a vacation request - although I may just use my vacation time).

My dr. doesn't require a liquid pre-op diet, but to follow the Atkins diet isntead. I'm going to start to do some research on it, as I figure there is no reason not to go ahead and get a jump start on it. Now if I had to do the liquid, I'd wait until absolutely necessary! lol

I look forward to getting to know all of you better and being a source of support.

Thanks!

So I got a call today. They finally approved my lapband. The next question was do you want a 12-4 date or 12-18... I had to think.. God that is really close... wow!!!!

I choose the 12-18 date with I can have my "LAST" meal...lol :cursing: Before my 2 weeks of liquids pre-op.

I've already done all my test and just have to wait... Im very scared.. but then again estactic... I can't wait to wear heals again.

I work at a demanding job that I spend 8 hours a day on hard concrete floors that have ruined my ankles.. I can only wear tennis shoes.. and always have to have a shoe on my foot. :thumbup: This is not good comming from a hick that hates shoes....except heals to show of my toes... lol :eek:

A little worried about the no carbination.. Im a big soda drinker... and what about beer does it have carbination...??:tt2:

So I got a call today. They finally approved my lapband. The next question was do you want a 12-4 date or 12-18... I had to think.. God that is really close... wow!!!!

I choose the 12-18 date with I can have my "LAST" meal...lol :tt2: Before my 2 weeks of liquids pre-op.

I've already done all my test and just have to wait... Im very scared.. but then again estactic... I can't wait to wear heals again.

I work at a demanding job that I spend 8 hours a day on hard concrete floors that have ruined my ankles.. I can only wear tennis shoes.. and always have to have a shoe on my foot. :cursing: This is not good comming from a hick that hates shoes....except heals to show of my toes... lol :lol:

A little worried about the no carbination.. Im a big soda drinker... and what about beer does it have carbination...??:eek:

Bren,

I'm excited about heels also. :thumbup: It has been so long.... That has been one of the things which has definately contributed to me feeling less feminine.

From reading other posts, beer is apparently out for most bandsters. This makes me sad, I love beer. :eek: But, if I was going to stop getting the band because I love beer too much, obviously i wouldn't be ready for the lifestyle change. I must admit though, I'm going to try to fit in a couple of beer sessions before the liquid diet. I've only got a week and a bit... better get crackin'!

P.S. I'm not an alcoholic, us Aussies love beer :tt1: