Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Lap Band story has been a trying one over the past year. I got banded 10/13/08. I lost some weight initially, but then he had trouble accessing the port, which led to me getting fills under fluoro (I'm self pay and had to pay for all of this). Then, he realized my port was flipped. So, I got a port revision this past July. Then, I got my first fill and finally felt restriction. Since I was starting to get more hungry, I went in to get another fill yesterday. WELL, he couldn't access the port. He tried three needles and poked and prodded. I asked why he couldn't find it. He said he didn't know why. There was a lot of scar tissue, but he didn't know why he accessed it last time and not this time. Basically, he was like, come back next week and we will try again. I want answers! My doctor is very well respected and I know so many people who have had great results. So, do I go to get a second opinion? I'd have to pay even more out of pocket and I'm not even sure another doctor would deal with it. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm feeling so hopeless right now. Why did I get this surgery? I put my body through all of this and am at a standstill again!

Wow, that is hard. I'm sorry. I would go back and demand answers. Plus if the port has flipped I would want him to fix it FREE! He should have it anchored and if you haven't done anything to flip it, then he should fix it.

I bet you are frustrated and upset. I hope it gets figured out.

does he do it while you are standing up? My dr. can find my port super easy when I stand up and it falls away from the scar tissue.

I don't have much advice unfortunately but I just wanted to chime in with some support and let you know that I really hope it turns out ok for you :blushing: I agree that if it was the dr's error, he should fix his mistake for free. Good luck and let us know what happens next week!

He said that he really anchored the port on tight this time and it might just be extra scarring from that. He did do the port revision for free. I am going to see what happens this week and if he can't find it, I'm going to get a second opinion even if I have to pay out of pocket AGAIN!

I am sorry you are going through all of this. When he finally accesses the port I hope you insist on 2.5cc to get to restriction so you can start working the band.

Best wishes,

Mimi

I too am self pay and had the surgery done in Mexico. I went to two doctors who said they would give me fills in California, the first said he wasn't Internationally approved, the 2nd said he couldn't locate the port due to either scar tissue or flippage. I called me surgeon in Mexico flew down and in 2 minutes he accessed the port and gave me my first fill the cost was $95 for fluoro and about $115 for the flight plus two $6 cab fares and $5 for the bus and train. I will probably go to Mexico everytime I need a fill because I really only trust my surgeon Dr. Kuri he knows what he's doing and I believe he's the best. Good luck to you and perhaps you'll think of seeing my Dr. he is 5 minutes from TJ.

Can't help with your question but wanted to say "Don't give up". Get another opinion if your doctor can't solve the problem but don't give up on yourself.

saying the same 'don't give up'.

My friend had actually gone through this.She was totally frustrated as she was not not losing much weight. But after suregon's advise, she continued her daily programs like following exercises and diet regularly. After more than 6 months of doing so, now she is losing her weight, though not rapidly.

Have patience and don't loose hope.

Hang in there! This is just a speed bump in the road. Don't let these difficulties derail you from losing weight. You may just need to practice much more self control during this time until your doctor gets this figured out.

Best of luck to you and know that people care.

Donna