Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking from some hints from someone thats already been banded

Looking for some advice and hints from people who have already been banded.

I have not been banded yet. I have just gone through all the test and meet with the doctor again next week, so we will see what happens then.

But I was hoping to hear from some of you who have been banded already with some hints that you know or wish you know before you where banded. (ie. Different things you did or wish you did to get yourself used to eating the why you do now with the band.)

I was told by the nutritionist to get used to taking 1 bite every 5 minute for 20 minutes (which means 5 bites for my whole meal.) is that what anyone who is banded right now eats?

Please any hints that you can give so I can get my self ready for as easy a transition from living with out a band to living with a band would be GREATLY appreciated.

I think 1 bite every 5 min is a little extreme you will have to eat slow and learn what to stay away from. I cant handle alot of bread if I order a sandwich I will remove one side of the bun.(everybody is differant) A burger might take 15-20 min. to eat and some days 10 min. My major adjustment was No drinking while eating and no sodas. I now wait over a hour to drink. Mornings will be differant than later in your day you just have to learn what your band does with certain foods and portion sizes. Good luck

The band is the best thing I have done for myself. I am 16 month banded and down 110 lbs. (still need to lose 25-30 lbs).

Edited by Mink

I think this is a hard question to answer since everyone is so different. It's hard to "prepare" yourself but some of the things you might start are:

Eating with a smaller plate/fork

No liquids on the table

No straws

Use a 1/2 cup to measure your foods

Taking bites about the size of the end of your little finger

Putting your fork down between bites & CHEW, chew, chew

Eating all your Protein first & then your veggie

NO COLAS

Getting rid of your "trouble foods/snacks" that you overeat on. Clean out the refrig/pantry

Explain to your friends/family that this is NOT a rapid weight loss situation. It is a 1-2 pounds a week program and requires a lot of hard work on your part.

Be prepared to need Fiber to help with any bowel changes.

Have some Gas-X strips on hand for after surgery. They help some and so will walking.

Don't be disappointed that it might take awhile to get enough "fills" to have good restriction.

Good luck. Hope everything goes well for you.

I had the surgery on Aug.12,2009.Just had my first fill on Sept.19.Second fill is on Oct.20.I find that i am still able to eat way to much and not much seems to bother me to eat. I have only lost 25 lbs from the very beginning.15lbs.since surgery.I expected it to be more but am hoping.

I think this is a hard question to answer since everyone is so different. It's hard to "prepare" yourself but some of the things you might start are:

Eating with a smaller plate/fork

No liquids on the table

No straws

Use a 1/2 cup to measure your foods

Taking bites about the size of the end of your little finger

Putting your fork down between bites & CHEW, chew, chew

Eating all your Protein first & then your veggie

NO COLAS

Getting rid of your "trouble foods/snacks" that you overeat on. Clean out the refrig/pantry

Explain to your friends/family that this is NOT a rapid weight loss situation. It is a 1-2 pounds a week program and requires a lot of hard work on your part.

Be prepared to need Fiber to help with any bowel changes.

Have some Gas-X strips on hand for after surgery. They help some and so will walking.

Don't be disappointed that it might take awhile to get enough "fills" to have good restriction.

Good luck. Hope everything goes well for you.

DANG!! This was all straight from my head, get out of there!! I started making changes in Nov. didn't have the surgery until March and I think it made my life much easier.

The smaller plate, putting on only what you plan to eat and DON'T REFILL!! I gave up my " SOUTHERN" sweet tea completely, not much of a soda drinker. I figured if I made it without tea, I could give up anything.

The band is great, but you are the control. If your head isn't into it, nothing will happen. You can eat "around" the band by eating more often than you should, wrong foods and pushing your limits.

Try to pay attention to what makes you eat. The stressers that make you reach for the chips.

I need the band and I am still working to understand it and how it works in my life.

Edited by niterun

As much as I hated the pre-op diet it gave me discipline. It taught me how to live better with hunger. The swelling has gone down and I have no restriction so I just eat as if I have restriction and deal with being hungry. My hope is once I get a couple of fills I won't be hungry so often.

The only thing that helped me was being aware of chewing my food like 30 times or more before swallowing, especially meat and poultry. This is the only practicing that helped. You will learn very fast to take small bites and eat slow through conditioning out of necessity. When I was unfilled for a few weeks for surgery, it was amazing how quickly I found myself eating faster and taking larger bites again!! That changed back immediately when I got a fill.

Hi, Curlicue! Here are my answers to your questions. . . Also, feel free to take a look at my blog -- it's got a year's worth of entries about what it's like to be banded. The change really isn't that extreme -- you just eat less and get full faster, and you have to chew your food well and pick foods that aren't going to get you stuck (e.g. no Gummy breads).

The main thing I wish I knew was that "Bandster Hell" exists so that I wouldn't have been frustrated by feeling hungry and not losing between the time I got on solid foods and had my first decent fill.

I also wish I would have taken more "before" pictures, and am really glad that I took my measurements before I started this process.

The thing your nutritionist told you to do has nothing to do with how bandsters eat. She's probably trying to get you to learn to pace yourself and get full as you are eating. It's not a bad thing to do right now, but it's not at all how you'll eat when you're banded and at good restriction.

I hope that helps!

Catherine

hi Curli, Good luck on your upcoming adventure of a new life.

Do what the dr says. My doc gave us an education book at the pre-op meeting. it was called our lifeline, told us to read and re-read until we knew it by heart. It would be aour new ways to eat by.

My nurse in the recovery room told me upon leaving to enjoy my new skinny life... So I was not the first one that has had that LAP-BAND® surgery. So I thought this has to work. I have too much time and pain invested I will make it.

followed the diagram for the first stage - 2 weeks frozen shakes full and Clear Liquids.

right everything down - they even gave me a book to do this for every meal and glass Fluid and cup Soup.

diagram for stage 2- mushies baby food consistancy, yum, yum. You cannot imagine how good that tasted after 2 weeks all fliquids.

week #5 I can start solid foods. Using a seafood fork and a bread and butter plate I purchased just for me. I ate by myself or after my family, so I could really enjoy and not be rushed feeling (after 21 months I am still the last one sitting at the table with my B & b Plate.

Okay- no pizza, no bread, nothing White, no rice no mashed potatoes. not a problem. no sodas, not a problem

meat first, then veggie. Chew every bite at least 20 times. put my tiny fork down in between bites and look areound kitchen, chew some more, pick up fork and take another small piece and chew.

I was told to limit my self 30 minutes to eat. If I could not get it down, I probably had too much food. not a problem.

My first fill was 6 weeks out. 1cc. back to 2 days shakes. Then repeat.

I am 21months out, I have had 9 fills and 1 slight unfil of .4cc. I have Approx 8.6 cc in a 10 cc band.

Not to lie, nothing is a piece of cake. I have had some bad days , hungry days and did I do the right thing kinda days. I am at 146 lbs, very happy. I will go in dec for a flouro x-ray to make sure I am tightened and have restriction and after that I will not visit my doc for 1 year, unless..

I walk every day gym 4 days week or less, I am not a slave to food anymore and my family has to eat what I cook.

I wish I could have done this 10years ago. I have help now in my weight control, I just have to use it, EVERYDAY.. Good luck to your all , hang in there. This is a great website to just read how others are doing and look for good suggestions.:thumbup:

Just remember that the Band is not a magic cure-all. I was banded on Sept 14, and it hasn't been easy. However, I would do it again in a second. The best advice I can give you is that the Band always wins. If you do something you shouldn't, you'll know - fast. It keeps me compliant without the hassles of being hungry. So far, I love it. I'm down 35 pounds in 6 weeks.

It requires modification in your diet, but it's not that hard once you get used to it. It's far easier than any diet I've done. Just make sure you have surgeon that you feel confident with, stay on top of managing your fills and follow up appointment, and follow the diet.

Best of luck.