Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1-1/2 year bandster.... need help and advise !?!

It's been a while since I have been on here. I was banded on 2/27/08. Since then I have only lost 28 pounds both pre-op and post-op. I have maintained that weight and can't loose anymore. I am completely stumped as to what is going on here. I stopped going to my band doc 6 months ago due to insurance. I have new insurance that will start up in Nov and will go then. So I am hoping I can get some advise from you guys.

I am currently at 7cc in a 10cc band. I know I cant go more(tried 7.1 and no go)and if I go less I get hungry and eat more. I was told I was at my "sweet spot" by the fill Nurse. I don't eat but twice a day, which the doc told me was fine. I can not eat before noon, and can only eat limited portions 1/2 cup. I am not able to eat any breads and limit myself on whole wheat noodles (very rare I eat them). I had to change from eating red meat to eating turkey. I eat chicken and fish. I know what I am supposed to eat and I eat healthy and more Proteins than veg, can't eat sweets cause they make me sick to my stomach. I eat a lot of salads.

I exercise twice a week with walking. I have a lot of mobility problems with MS. So I do what I can tolerate. The only time I lost weight is when I first weeks out of surgery and could only eat liquids, and with the pre-op diet as well. I also started to have burning sensation in my esophagus when I eat on occasion. When I had surgery for the band they also had to repair a hiatal hernia. I have read about some slippages from the band can cause the reflux. I hope that is not the case with me, because if they have to go in to repair. I am converting to gastric bypass because I got this to help me loose weight and all weight lost was on liquids.

Have any of you had or have the same issues that I am having. I read that some people have, but it was due to bad eating habits. I don’t have that problem. My primary doctor doesn't understand either. He did thyroid test on me thinking that was the issue, or medications.......Could it be what I drink? I don't drink Water a lot and drink tea. Occasionally a Dr. Pepper or wine( like twice a month). Please any advise or just someone who has been in the same situation...Thanks for listening.

Edited by laramey77

I thought carbonated drinks was a no-no with the lap-band....

I thought carbonated drinks was a no-no with the lap-band®....

I thought so to, but when I went in for a fill the nurse who had been banded was drinking a Diet coke. I asked her and she said she was one year out and occasional drink was okay. I didn't drink carbonated drinks until 3 months ago, and I drink them rarely. I was just being open about what I eat and drink.

i just wanted to say i totally respect you for exercising with ur health condition...there r plenty of healthy people that won't lift a finger...i hope the band starts to work 4 u....kudos on the exercising!!!!!!! u deserve a lot of credit!!!!!:):thumbup::eek:

Hi:

I am wondering if you take meds with MS that are interfering with your weight loss? My Sister has MS and was taking meds that had a side effect of weight gain. Maybe you should discuss your weight issues with your Neurologist, Nutritionist, and your band doctor.

Another thing I thought of when reading your post was whether you are getting enough nutrition or not. Are you getting at least 1200 calories per day? If not, you could be making your body go into "starvation" mode.

I hope things improve for you soon.

Sue

It sounds to me like you are not eating enough calories and your body is storing fat cells.

If you are not able to add another meal then I suggest perhaps getting a slight unfill so you can eat just a little more at each meal. Or, perhaps try adding a Protein shake to your day.

I recommend you keep a food journal to keep track of your calories so you can see exactly what you are eating.

You should also consider making an appointment with a nutritionist who can plan a meal guide for you and advise you how many calories of what type your body needs.

I hope my suggestions work for you.

Donna

I wish I had some answers for you. Are you counting calories? That is the only advice I can give is to log it and see if there is anything that is calorie laden causing you not to lose. It is so frustrating when you feel you are making such an effort and the scale just doesn't reflect it.

And like the poster above me, I also thought we weren't supposed to have carbonated drinks, as it could stretch the pouch. So I'd just be careful with that for sure.. Hang in there and I hope you find osme answers soon and get that scale moving!

That's a good idea about calorie counting. I didn't think I had to because I was eating healthy and the doc told me to eat when I was hungry. If I ate twice a day then that was okay, eat when I was truly hungry and not just head hunger. I never would have thought that not eating enough would be the problem...lol..I always ate to much before :) Thanks I will make that appointment and also talk to my Neurologist.

I have had LOT of trouble finding my "sweet spot." If 7cc isn't enough...and 7.1cc is too much, they can split the difference...and then, if that isn't right, they can split it again.

My last fill was "just a couple of drops" and it has seriously made all of the difference.

I think the biggest thing is a willingness to hang in there and keep going to the doctor.

The other thing is - if you are eating too many carbs, they can make you feel more hungry, and that makes it difficult to tell if the band is working.

Wow its good to have someone experiencing similar things to me and I have MS also. I put a post up a few days ago about my band getting tighter and tighter and I am down to 2.85 mls in a 11 ml band and 2 years post op, I did get upto about 5.5 in the band. I cannot eat anything until about 3pm. I have lost a lot more than you but I have been the same weight now for the last 10-12 months (75kg). I am happy at this weight though so thats cool for me. My concern is that I was putting alittle back on and didnt want it to carry on. I have read on an MS website that anothe person was suffering the same fate as we seem to be and after some testing it was discovered that her oesphagus muscles werent working properly to push the food down probably due to MS. Also at the time of my weight gain I switched meds to copaxone and believe that this has played a small part in the weight problem. I also have had a few other issue.

Meant to also say that I can eat bread occasionally with Soup. its Pasta, rice and salad stuff that I ahve issues with, anything with a skin, I take the skin off tomatoes, capsicum, cucumber or it sticks, kinda weird. My hubby is brilliant, we make lots of casseroles with both proper meat and mince so that I can eat some too, even curries this way. Or make meat balls which hubby freezes in 2s and pops them into whatever we are cooking with the real meat, you can get mince in all meats which is good. Also find that I eat more veggie dishes too which is great for your health and I make lots of homemade Soups too. Great for getting veggies into the kids too, my daughter loves my chicken Soup which I make with chicken mince. Real chicken is my worst meat to eat.

Jo

Edited by joho