Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op depression or anxiety anyone?

I am currently on meds for depression and anxiety. Anyone else on meds for this before surgery?

After surgery have you gotten to come off of the depression one? Most of my depression is due to my weight. I am hoping with the weight coming off my depression may lighten or even go away.

Anyone out there who knows?

I noticed a significant increase in anxiety right after the surgery, about non surgery related things. I think this is because I used eating as a coping mechanism and couldn't do that anymore. I had 3 panic attacks in the 3 days after the surgery but after that it got much better. As for depression I have been feeling much better since I started getting out and moving around during the day and getting more exercise. Hopefully all goes as well for you as it I'd for me good luck

I have been taking meds for depression and anxiety for about 6 years. My Dr. told me to take my meds the morning of surgery as usual. But the Nurses gave me something also right before surgery because I was starting the beginning of a panic attack. Also when I woke up in recovery the samething happened so they gave me something again and all was fine. I have not had a panic attack since I had surgery 12½ weeks ago. Which is a records for me. Make sure you stay off the caffine.

Now the depression is a different story. I still have some really bad days of depression. My depression is not cause by my weight, but my depression and the way I chose to cope with it contribute to my weight problem. I still take the same amount of meds as before.

If you are depressed and have not had some counseling I would suggest you do it. I had 2½ years and even though I have my bad days it has helped me so much.

I think mine would be better if I could get some rest. I work 40 hours a week as a graphic designer and watch my 3 year old and 5 month old granddaughter 2 days a week from 8:00 am until 6:00 pm. Plus no mateer what I take I do not go to sleep until 3:00 am or 4:00 am.

I hope this procedure will help you get off your meds. I have weaned of off them 3 times in the past 6 years and it just was not time for me to stop taking them yet. I am praying for healing in my mind so I can get off all my meds. Depression can be a dark place. But my time of relief is coming!!!!

Edited by 123crod

I have been in counseling 2 different times for about a year or so each time. It really helps! I have been released to my family doctor for med refills now. I have came down from 3 75 mg to just one a day. I am hoping after the surgery I will feel better and not be so depressed. I just want to be healthy and not take so many meds.

Thanks for the advice on the panic attacks. This way I know to expect one if I feel it coming on.

I'd been on depression meds for about 10 years. My doc stopped them as of the day of surgery and I haven't taken any since. I feel better than I've felt in many years and, yeah, a lot of it is from the weight loss itself but a lot is also in the change the weight loss brought to my self image.

I have been on depression meds almost that long. I am so hoping to get off of them. I have been trying to wean myself off of them.

Doc already told me I would not have to take my protoncs after my surgery. I was near tears (of joy). I am so hopeful all gets approved.

Thank you for your input.

I'd been on depression meds for about 10 years. My doc stopped them as of the day of surgery and I haven't taken any since. I feel better than I've felt in many years and, yeah, a lot of it is from the weight loss itself but a lot is also in the change the weight loss brought to my self image.