Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 10 months ago, finally got a good fill

Just found and joined the Forum. Really glad I did and wish I had found it a year ago. I finally just got enough Fluid in my band and am finally loosing weight. I had a little problem after the last fill which led me to the web and finding you guys. I read up, figurend out what was going on, adjusted my eating habits and am FINALLY eating less, getting full quikly and staying full. The last 10 months I never had enough Fluid in the band! I'm now at 6.5cc in a 10 cc band.

Every doctor should make every one of their patients join a Forum because you really have to farmiliarize yourself with what feelings and reactions mean what. Your 5 mintues with the doctor every couple of months is not enough time and lot's of time they just don't know. Thanks for being here.

Amen to that....We are all here for you! Keep your chin up!

Just found and joined the Forum. Really glad I did and wish I had found it a year ago. I finally just got enough Fluid in my band and am finally loosing weight. I had a little problem after the last fill which led me to the web and finding you guys. I read up, figurend out what was going on, adjusted my eating habits and am FINALLY eating less, getting full quikly and staying full. The last 10 months I never had enough Fluid in the band! I'm now at 6.5cc in a 10 cc band.

Every doctor should make every one of their patients join a Forum because you really have to farmiliarize yourself with what feelings and reactions mean what. Your 5 mintues with the doctor every couple of months is not enough time and lot's of time they just don't know. Thanks for being here.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on figuring out what works well for you. Look forward to seeing you around on here!:thumbup:

Amen to that....We are all here for you! Keep your chin up!

HOW DO I PASTE A TICKER ON MY THINGY:confused:

Cassie, go to www.tickerfactory.com It's pretty self-explanatory. Pick weight loss ticker, select the "stripe" and then the indicator. You will have to select a PIN. Make sure it's something you can remember because to update your ticker, you can double click on it in any message you've posted, enter your PIN and update your current weight. When you're done, there is a window that you must copy the URL and paste it into a signature block here on LBT.

I cant wait to get my first fill. i am only 2 and a half weeks out and can eat anything i want and too much of it also:glare:

Hey Tim,

I was banded in December 08, probably about the same time as you. I also had inadequate fills until about 3 weeks ago, due to a "miscalculation" whatever that means. It's great having some restriction and being able to continue to lose. I've lost 35lbs and have another 35 to go. Most of that I lost with the pre op diet and the first 2 months postop. I now have a great fill guy, who is the surgeon's physician's assistant. He has time to listen and get the fill right. The doctor who did the fills initially, (and had the "miscalculation") was always too busy to really adjust it properly. Keep us posted on your progress

I cant wait to get my first fill. i am only 2 and a half weeks out and can eat anything i want and too much of it also:glare:

Hopefully that will change. After my first fill I couldn't eat much for a few days, but then I was able to keep eating more and more. I kept going back for 1cc fills for several months that just didn't do much. I didn't really know it either, mainly because I didn't find or read this forum yet. The "support groups" at the Hospital were more of sales meetings for people thinking about getting banded than a support group for people after getting banded.

The time you have to watch closely is after a fill, especially when you start to get close to your sweet spot. It's easy to keep eating more than you should (even to "test" yourself to see how much you can still eat) after a fill, but it really does irritate the area around your band and can give you several days of hell if you irritate it. Constant sliming just plain sucks.

I had really given up on the band for being able to loose the weight I wanted to until I finally got the right fill. When you get it, it works. There is a "thin" line between love and hate though and you have to find it.

FWIW, I did Atkins for a long time around 1999. I lost 97 lbs and kept most all of it off for 5 years. Then......... Anyhow, I made Protein Shakes alot and they were pretty low in carbs, usually < 3 grams of sugars. I would use a scoop or two of chocolate Protein Powder (many differnt brands) and then use about 1/4 cup of half/half or heavy wipping cream, Splenda, ice chips and Water. I would blend it up into a real nice milk shake. I don't seem to be able to deal with all the air that gets into the shake when it's blended now so I just stir it all in a large cup. I can get 50 grams of protien in just one drink and it's very rich and creamy and good. Does have some fat in it from the heavy cream but is generally very low in carbs. Makes it easy to get all the Protein you need.

Hey Tim,

I was banded in December 08, probably about the same time as you. I also had inadequate fills until about 3 weeks ago, due to a "miscalculation" whatever that means. It's great having some restriction and being able to continue to lose. I've lost 35lbs and have another 35 to go. Most of that I lost with the pre op diet and the first 2 months postop. I now have a great fill guy, who is the surgeon's physician's assistant. He has time to listen and get the fill right. The doctor who did the fills initially, (and had the "miscalculation") was always too busy to really adjust it properly. Keep us posted on your progress

Yea, I was getting pretty pissed at my doctor too. I kept writing on my chart that I could eat whatever I wanted to and way too much of it before I just got full normally. She just kept giving me 1cc fills month after month, and nothing would change.

Should be noted that the full feeling you get when you get close to the sweet spot isn't the same full feeling you're use to after going to Chinese buffet. It's more of the full feeling you get when you're body says "if you eat one more bite of that cheesecake you're gonna puke" felling. For me, it's more of the too much of a rich food feeling and it stops you dead in your tracks it really does. It's also an up high and bit of pressure feeling too.

Well I hope the both of us can be on our way now. We've deinately paid our dues. Good luck.