Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taking fill out to check amount no longer ecommended.

I went for a fill today ( my 5th) and was told that they will no longer be taking the fill that is already in there out to check the amount as it is now believed that this can affect the pressure in the band. Has anyone else heard this?

I didn't question why but it seems to make sense.If you blow a balloon up and then deflate it and keep repeating the process it makes the balloon weaker. So I imagine something similar may happen with the pressure in the band.

It does go to show though that they don't know everything about the band yet - they seem to be constantly discovering new things.

Edited by elcee

Yes, my doctor said this to my husband. His second fill was done by a locum, who removed all Fluid first, checked then refilled with some extra. DH ended up way too tight.

When he went back to our doc, who had returned from overseas, he tut tutted and said it is NEVER recommended in his practice to do this becuase yes, it places unecessary stress on the band, but also because its a prime reason why people react badly to fills - it causes irritation of the stomach, more so than just adding a tiny amount of fill on top of what's there. He says you should never remove Fluid unless there's a reason to check.

This was well over a year ago.

It seems common practice in the US though.

Oops. Just noticed my spelling mistake in the title and it won't let me edit it. Obviously this should read recommended!

I had never heard of this but it makes sense. When I return to my doc will ask. This month will be my second fill but have not had any problems. I am hoping that the weightloss will speed up a little but who knows what will happen.

I would get really nervous if my doctor stopped checking the current fill level. I've already had one bad fill with him where he checked the fill level, then instead of putting that back in PLUS 1cc, he ONLY put 1cc in. If he hadn't checked my fill level during the next visit, we never would have known, and I would have been 4ccs off. But I guess that says something about my doctor that I don't completely trust him with my fills anymore :)

And my doc has never removed any to check...I had read about that on this forum, and on my second fill when he didn't do it, I questioned him, but he said very much what Jachut said. Not necessary and can make things more irritated.

Docs, go figure!

I would get really nervous if my doctor stopped checking the current fill level. I've already had one bad fill with him where he checked the fill level, then instead of putting that back in PLUS 1cc, he ONLY put 1cc in. If he hadn't checked my fill level during the next visit, we never would have known, and I would have been 4ccs off. But I guess that says something about my doctor that I don't completely trust him with my fills anymore :)

In this instance it would have been far better had your Dr not checked the fill level because then he could not have forgotten to put back in what was taken out. By only adding this situation could not occur.

I'm wondering how this could happen as when I have had fill drawn out the amount that they intend adding is already in the syringe and the whole lot then gets injected back in without the needle being removed.

My doc has never removed any Fluid to check the fill level...I have never had any probs with my fills....thank GOD.

Since I've been banned, my doctor has never checked my fill and see how much I have. One time, I asked him why and he said the same thing as Jachut and OP said. He also said it can make the band less effective.

I've never heard of this but it makes sense. My physician's office took all my Fluid out once to guage how much was in there, but just that once since they put some in during surgery and then let it drain out, the amount that stays in is different for everyone, so they like to know how much is in there for reference at some point.

Just my opinion but it is from personal experience. I am glad they check my fill because when I went in for my 2nd fill, they could only get 2cc back out when there should have been 5cc. They put 5cc back in on a wednesday and went for a fluro the next day and there was only 3cc. It took me about 7 wasted weeks to find out that there is no leak and they just said the first 2 must have not been done properly. I guess I am a little nervous when I go in as to exatly how many cc's are actually there. I have a fill this wednesday, there is supposed to be 7 in there but I am not so sure as I can pretty much eat anything.

That was exactly what I was thinking about recently with this issue--how would they know if you have a leak then?

I can see both side of it. I really can understand how it would be easier on your stomach. However, when I went in this year for a touch up (he put .5cc in) I ended up too tight. When I went back for a slight unfill the other doctor was surprised I was having trouble with only 4.5 cc in my band. So he withdrew the Fluid to check and I had 8 cc in my band. The other doctor had withdrawn the fluid too but he just didn't get it all for some reason. Now I setting at around 7.8 cc and that little bit taken out helped tremendously.