Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Female question....

Is it normal to miss a period after being banded?? I am very regular, but have not had one since August 23. I was banded September 16.

I too have always been regular. But was hit and miss after surgery. Then when I did have one it was VERY HEAVY!! Not sure why but some say it is from the heprin shot that we are given before and after surgery.

Mine has been all over the place since surgery. Finally 3 weeks ago, I went to the doctor and got put back on birth control to regulate them. She said that because of the trauma of surgery, plus the weight loss, this was normal.

It's a real pain in the patutey tho! heh

Well, Maggie, I am sexually active, so understandably a little nervous. We have an 11 month old (11 months today!) so between getting this weight off and our little one, we would like to wait a while.

I think our timing has been OK, though, so the fact that some of you have had a similar problem makes me think that it's just due to the surgery and quick weight loss.....

Just an update for you girls-

On 11/9 (my baby's first birthday!!) I started bleeding- well more like spotting. I would go a day with nothing, and then suddenly a spot.

Yesterday (the 22nd), I started bleeding HEAVILY. I am in all kinds of pain!!

Anyone else experience anything like this? I have left a message for my PC and my surgeon. I suppose any period that is two months late is going to be bad!

Mine was a doozie 2 days after surgery, I almost freaked out. I'm glad you put a call in to the doctor, it can't hurt.

I too have always been regular. But was hit and miss after surgery. Then when I did have one it was VERY HEAVY!! Not sure why but some say it is from the heprin shot that we are given before and after surgery.

DITTO!

~pamela.

well, I skipped the month before my surgery (FREAKED OUT) and a week after my banding I had to have an emergency D&C to try to stop the bleeding. The GYN I saw this summer said that it is very common for women who've lost a significant amount of weight to have wonky periods. (not sure what my excuse was though) Fat holds onto estrogen like a sponge.

Well I had my period when I had my surgery. Since then, my period started last Thursday and usually lasts 7 days. I had 2 days of pretty heavy bleeding and now since Saturday nothing but some light spotting. I don't understand this at all. I have been VERY regular and this is not normal for me at all. I have had some pretty painful cramping, which I normally don't have as well. I'm hoping everything will regulate itself next month otherwise I'll call my doctor. I have an IUD because I can't tolerate the hormones in the pill, so we'll see.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having some questions about this subject. Thanks.

I have been on Depo for almost 4 years and never have a period anymore, but after my surgery I had a major period for like 3 weeks. I actually started spotting the week before surgery while on the liquid phase. I called the OBGYN and he said that it was normal for the body to release a ton of hormones that have been stored in the excess fat, and not to worry. My pcp did an Iron count and it was a bit low, so I took an iron supplement for a while but I have stopped that now as well. At my 3 month check-up all was fine. Hope this helps. ~Mandy

Wow, I am glad to see I am not the only one. I had my period a week before surgery, the day I came home I spotted for like three days. It was very light though. I was banded 9/8. In October my cycle was about 10-12 days late and when it came it was 2-3 days as usual and not heavy, just the same. Now it is November and its is over a week late. I am on the pill so I am regulated. Before surgery it came like clock work every 28 days. Now I am just waiting patiently for it to come.

Just found this thread -- I have a related but kind of different situation -- too many periods!! I got banded 5 weeks ago and just finished having my THIRD separate and distict period -- ridiculous!! They all have a beginning middle & end just like a regular period and are just as heavy. The problem is they are only a few days apart from each other! I heard fat stores hormones and as you lose fat the homones are released making your cycle nutty. I have lost 30 lbs in the 5 weeks so maybe that's it..... I guess I'm not really worried -- just annoyed!

Just an FYI for anyone on DEPO, that can cause weight gain as well. I was on it for several years and gained a LOT of weight in that time. It also can take a while after you go off it to get pregnant (if that's something you'd be interested in). It took me almost a year to get pregnant after my last shot and I never went back to it. I have problems with any of the birth control with hormones in. I went to an IUD and haven't had any problems. I am still a little concerned about the weirdness in my periods, but I'm going to wait until next month to bring it up to my doctor. Maybe it'll be back on schedule by then.