Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maybe a stupid question, but...

I see quite a few people are required by their doctors to go on a 3-6 month medically supervised diet program in order to qualify for the surgery. Here's my stupid question...if one could be successful on a medically supervised diet program, *why* bother with the lap band?

I mean seriously...about 6 years ago I lost 70 lbs on Atkins and I've never put it back but I can't seem to stick to a diet now because I always feel 'not full' and want to keep eating until I do. If I could find the motivation to last 3-6 months on a diet, I wouldn't be bothering with the lap band.

What am I missing?

i am one of those one that has to be require to do 4 months. and its not for the doctor its for the insurance company. so that they can pay for the proudure. and for me its really not a diet its just say that i know what to eat and how to eat and how much to eat. because we (well me) ihave to take these classes that are required by my insurace like nutriention (3xs) diet(3xs). and i have done this with my doctor before and gain the weight right back. its like i can eat and not have a seens of fullness, but with the band (with i havent gotten yet) they say it will let you know when you are full. and for me its just another method of weight lose. so i am willing to do what ever it takes to try it.

OMG if I had a nickel every time I said that to myself (or heard it from other people who knew I was getting the surgery). What my doc told me (because I was considering canceling my surgery since I was able to lose 20 lbs just maintaining 1500 cals/42 fat grams per day) and he said that after the LAP-BAND®, you will be eating 800-1100 calories per day eating less than a cup of food per meal and you will not feel hunger even having that few calories/little food. Your stomach is now the size of a football and after the surgery, it will be the size of a baseball, which does make sense. The thought behind adhering to the medically supervised diet is that it shows the insurance company your commitment to sticking to a specific plan, as the post-op diet restrictions will require a LOT of commitment on our part to stick with.

I know this has helped me to stop torturing myself (somewhat LOL) with the question, but of course I still get it from friends and relatives. I just say-- BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO BE HUNGRY ANYMORE LOL!

99% of the time a supervised pre-op diet is not the surgeon's requirement but that of the insurance company. I've heard different stories ... (1) that they want you to lose weight so that you are below the qualification level so they don't have to approve you or (2) that they want to see that you have a commitment to the process so that they are not throwing money away.

I've heard different stories ... (1) that they want you to lose weight so that you are below the qualification level so they don't have to approve you or (2) that they want to see that you have a commitment to the process so that they are not throwing money away.

After dealing with insurance companies for 30 years, I'll make a bet that it's #1. I looked into lap band surgery about a year after I lost 70 pounds on my own...documented in my doc's records on my weigh-ins but I still weighed 260 and had diabetes, gastric reflux, etc. The insurance company wouldn't tell me ahead of time whether or not they'd approve the surgery. They said to 'get it done' and when the paperwork came through they'd approve it or not. Right.

Fortunately, they've now come to their senses and realized that it's cheaper to pay $20k for the surgery than 40+ years worth of obesity related medical issues. They can be taught.

As for a commitment to the process...isn't that a bit like telling a diabetic to control their own blood sugars and if, after 6 successful months, they'll now pay for the tools (e.g. insulin) to help them?

I think the problem is that the insurance companies (and even many overweight people) still look at this as a self-control/character issue rather than what it is...a disease.

elfie.....that is a GREAT question. i always scratch my head when i see the hoops people have to go through before they get the surgery.

luckily my doctor feels the same way...he even said to me if you can do this on your own...why would you need this?

i was able to self pay so i didnt have to live by the insurance companies rules.

anyway....good luck in your journey

josie

I understand full heartedly. I have no problem taking the weight off, I've lost 100s of lbs over the years. It's the keeping it off I can't get right. That's the reason I opted for the band. If I could have kept the last 80lbs off I lost, I wouldn't be here.

As for the hoops we have to go through, I personally think it is a way to show how determined I am to have this.

I am already into my 3rd month of a 6 month supervied diet and it has flown by. Plus it has given me time to get all the testing and appointments in.

As for

"1. that they want you to lose weight so that you are below the qualification level so they don't have to approve you,"

I was told by the nurse that they send in my first starting weight to the insurance company for approval, not what weight you end with. That was one of my big questions too.

Edited by catmom50

My ins company's guidelines were the six month medically supervised diet. I did have record of previous attempts at taking off the weight but they insisted I wait the six months. At first I was ticked off. But, that wait I had really prepared me for the surgery. I no way wanted to wake up after surgery and feel like I had the "rug" yanked out from under me.

My doc was great in insisting upon a weight loss with each monthly visit prior to surgery (I think mine was about 9 months from start to finish). I was able to lose over 50lbs during that period of time. I was asked the question all the time "If you can take it off on your own, why do the surgery". The answer I can give for that is; I could see the light at the end of the tunnel and knew that after having the LB I would be able to keep it off.

Other attempts to lose weight were fruitless. Gain, take some off, get discouraged and put it back on, plus some.

It is my understanding that ins companys take beginning weights that are documented by LB doc or personal physician at the onset of the process. Anyway, that's what my ins company did.

I think it is a combination of a few things.....#1...Are you going to be able to follow instructions & directions on a medically supervised plan. I really didn't realize what a change was going to occur when I couldn't eat like I used to eat....it is mind blowing....my life revolved around food.

I believe like the other person said previously that this prepares you and you don't want to have the carpet yanked out from under you....this is definitely life changing.

#2: The insurance companies want to make sure you have tried everything....and I mean everything. Our problem is we cannot do it long term....we are all good short term people!!.......but once we accomplish our goals....guess what...we reward ourselves with food......Well, with this new lapband....you cannot reward yourself with food!

The insurance companies want you to have exhausted all opportunities and chances at losing weight....make sure you have really tried to lose weight.......let's face it, this is a lot of money getting the band....Insurance companies always go overboard...which they have to cover all bases.....that is what they do right?