Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new, nervous, looking for support

Hello,

I am scheduled for surgery in Mexico, for 10/16, done and doing tons of research and just continuing to look for support.

Heidi

Portland, Oregon

Wow Mexico that is a long way from where you live. You do not have much longer to go. What part of Mexico are you going to? My husband was born in Mexico.

Don't be nervious. It is a pretty easy surgery. I am a big baby when it comes to Drs or hospitals and I did it and am very happy. It will be over in just a few hours and you will be home before you know it. Is someone going with you?

thanks for responding. I am having surgery with Dr. Kuri in TJ.

it is a two hour flight, so not so bad. as a self pay, I have limited options. I am a little bit of a weenie too, when it comes to pain, but with two natural childbirths, behind me, I figure I can handle it!

Oh my gosh if you had natural childbirth you can do this in a minute. It is not that bad really. I was self pay too, but I used a Dr in Houston Texas. Will they keep you in the hospital overnight or put you in a hotel?

You will be fine and I hope as happy as I was when it is over.

Hey... you've got my support! I'm down here in Brookings, OR. Had my surgery in Coos Bay just a couple of weeks ago... so I'm feeling pretty good by now. Biggest bit of advice, walk as soon as you can, and walk when you can. Everyone is a little different after surgery... some can practically hop out of bed, others need a little time.

Hi! Congratulations on setting a surgery date! I haven't been banded yet...Just wanted to send some moral support your way! Good luck! :thumbup:

thank you all so much for responding. it helps with my nervousness

do any of you have young children? I have a four year old and am a little nervous about not lifting or her somehow hurting me.

Hey there! Good luck with your surgery!! I am actually just going in for my first consultation on 10/13 so you are ahead of me. I'm not sure what to expect, but from everything that I've heard, you have nothing to worry about! I also have a four year old and I'm sort of nervous about not being able to lift her afterwards, but luckily I have a lot of people around to support me and help me out. I hope everything goes great for you!!!

thank you for responding. I am eager to hear from other parents with young children...

Good Luck! the op is easy ,I was banded on 9/23 and I'm doing good. I was told to not lift anything more than 10 pounds for the first 6 weeks.

Hi! As I said, I haven't been banded yet but I have a 4 year old and a 22 month old and I had the same restriction when I had my second daughter. I found that I just explained to my oldest ahead of time that when Mommy got back from the hospital that I'd have to take it easy and wouldn't be able to lift her up. Then I reminded her a couple of times before and then again when I got home. I made her "mommy's little helper" and I think it made her feel included and I did lots of snuggling on the couch. I would think the same types of things would work with restrictions postop. Hope this helps!

Amanda

I have a 1-yr-old and a 3-yr-old. The first week was tough... I had my husband or my mom picking them up for me, then putting them on my lap. If I wasn't sitting down, and my 1-yr-old wanted me, I would just get down to my knees and hug on her. I was fortunate to have a lot of help my first and second week. I am on my 3rd week out and I do pick up my babies (mostly the little one) With my 3-yr-old I mostly just help her down from things, so no real lifting with her. There is no way I would have been comfortable lifting them, and I believe I healed quicker and better because I didn't... though I have to say that was one of the hardest parts... atleast we could still cuddle!

Thank you for sharing!! that has been a huge concern, but I guess I will get through it. when I asked about it on my doctor's board, I was kind of poo-pooed- clearly those folks aren't mamas!