Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Outpatient vs. Inpatient

I will hopefully be getting banded in a few months. Did you choose the outpatient option where you went home same day? or would you recommend inpatient and why??

I wasn't given a choice. My surgery was bright and early in the morning at 7:30 am and I think I was home by 1:00 pm. I didn't really need to stay any longer than that in my opinion. I was more comfortable at home anyway. :seeya:

I didnt have a choice either, had to stay overnight. And, I would do it again. It was easier on my family, having the peace of mind knowing that I was in good hands.

I was self-pay, and an overnight stay would have cost me about $5,000, so I was definitely leaning toward outpatient when I was making my decision.

The question about having inpatient or outpatient lap band surgery came up in one of my pre-op classes. The nurse said that with lap band surgery, unless you experienced complications, she felt it was better to go home for two reasons. One, because people generally rest better in their own home. Two, because hospitals have sick people and germs, and you're better off recovering at home to avoid them.

I live close enough to the hospital, that had a complication arose, my husband could get me back there easy enough. Of course, having someone that can help you those first few days of recovery is important too. So, I don't think there's a rigid right or wrong answer, and you should go with you're most comfortable. I chose to go the out-patient route, and it was the right decsion for me, thankfully.

Excellent point Kiz! I live by myself so had I left the first night, I would have had to stay with a family member which would have meant NOT sleeping in my bed! As it was, I spent the second day walking the halls at the hospital. My Dr doesnt do rounds until 3pm, so I wasnt discharged until after that...

I had no choice, insurance mandated an overnight stay. I felt fine by around 8 hours after I woke up and would've loved nothing more then to be unhooked from all the things they had me hooked to and gotten some sleep at home.

When people say they don't get sleep in the hospital they usually mean a few catnaps here and there, I didn't close my eyes at all. I was in a room with two men. I am not a man.

All I wanted to do was go home.

I think I've made my point! :seeya:

I didn't have a choice I had to be inpatient. My doctor chooses that for all his patients because it is believed if the patient goes home the rate of death goes up. My doctor has never lost anyone and he has done thousands of these surgeries. I would choose inpatient over out any day. Ask about the complication/death rate of your doctor with outpatient vs inpatient. They should have these stats and give them up readily if they don't RUN!!!

I had the choice and stayed overnight. I swear it ws the BEST thing I did for myself. The IV meds kept me hydrated and pain free. I swear it was like a mini vacation.....LOL. There is no way the liquid tylenol with codeine would have managed the first night. Nothing better than professional care.......

Oh and I had a private room. That made the difference. I would have not stayed overnight stuck in a room with some stranger.

Edited by NM1970
typo

Medicare required me to stay overnight and I am glad that I did. My B/P kept dropping and I had a hard time waking up this time. They kept me in recovery for five hours! I was & walking the hallways the next morning. Talk with your doctor about it and ask for his stats.

My doctor requires an overnight stay...which I was ultimately grateful for! I was only in recovery for under an hour and then off to a private room! I had my family and best friend in there when I got there. I immediately got up and went to the bathroom and walked alot.

I did not sleep in the hospital at all, but was glad to be there because my blood sugar was really high and even insulin wasn't bringing it down....

I wasn't given a choice and the only reason they told me that I would be inpatient was if they couldn't do the procedure lap. and would have to open me up. Definetely coming home was better.

Banded September 24, 2009

I stayed overnight and I was very glad. They do keep you hydrated. Also they are available if you have a problem. I had a temperature. It went down before I left and everything was fine. I wonder if the people who went home even took there temperature. I also have low blood pressure and it went down but back up. I was very glad to have stayed.

If you can not stay the night, please be sure to have someone to take care of you at home. You do not want to overdo. This surgery does have some pain and you need someone to help you.

I had no choice, doc has all his patients stay overnight. I think if I'd had a choice I would have still gone the inpatient route. I was not allowed anything by mouth until the morning after surgery, and that would have been very hard for me to do if I was home. I had to do a barium swallow before I could even have a drink of Water or go home and that was done the morning after surgery. Plus, like others have said, the iv fluids ensure you stay hydrated. I did little more than sleep that day, anyway. And a morphine drip immediately following surgery is a beautiful thing, IMO. :smile2:

I'm in the if-you-can-afford-it-stay-the-night camp. As someone mentioned, the pain meds alone were worth it. The IV gets it in your system right away. And I sure as heck did not feel much like swallowing a pill just yet and that liquid Tylenol is nasty if you have to sip it!

Being there also spurred me on to do my walking. As soon as I went home I was less inclined to do so.

I got tired of the leg thingys that help with circulation, they were a nuisance since I had to call for help any time I did want to get up and move, but I'm quite sure they were vital to my well being. As was the saline IV for hydration. I really didn't feel like putting anything in my mouth until late in the day.

I had a private room and my DH stayed the day, though he left earlier than originally planned since our son came down with Mono three days before my surgery. I was lucky he stayed with me at all.

I slept some. They didn't bother most of the night, though I was told to expect the phlebotomist around 3 or 4AM. My dh was in the hospital a few years back and he said my stay was much quieter than his. It was a different hospital. But there were few intercom calls, and those were quiet. The halls were quiet too. I remember when he was in there was so much chatter in the halls, and you could hear the people in adjacent rooms. I didn't have that. I don't think I had as many people on my floor as he did, which would account for some of it. I was the only one wandering around, that's for sure.

I was in the mandentory inpatient group (because my insurance required it)... and THANK GOD!! I reacted to the general anaesthesia... it kicked my butt. I couldn't rasie my head without feeling like I was going to throw up, couldn't stand even 11 hours after surgery... there is no way I could have gone home. I also like that I was kept hydrated, because I couldn't keep anything down. By the next morning, I was walking and feeling much better. I was bummed at first with being inpatient, until after surgery, now I am grateful I was inpatient.