Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complete unfill but still hard to eat

I am 3.5 months post-op and was going great until 2 weeks ago - lost more than 40 pounds (including pre-op liquid diet). I seemed to have good restriction right from the start, and only had one very small fill (2cc in 10cc band) 2 months ago. I could eat everything in small quantities, was very careful to follow all the rules to a T, and never had anything like a PB/vomiting incident in that time.

I had surgery on my hip 5 weeks ago and for three weeks aferwards was eating just as before with no problems. Then all of a sudden each time I tried to eat, whether it was meat or Soup it seemed to just stop up my stoma, causing discomfort and stopping me eating my meal. It was like I needed to burp constantly, and burping would sometimes result in a tiny bit of whatever I eaten coming back up my throat, but no acid etc, just whatever I'd been trying to eat in liquid form (as I always make sure I chew VERY well). I still never actually vomited at all.

I thought long and hard about it and the only thing I could put it down to was swallowing my tiny blood-thinning pill and it getting a little 'caught' on the way down. Thing is, I'd been taking these pills for weeks after the surgery, and even while lying down while in hospital, and never a problem, so I think the problem may have already started, and this caused the pill to get 'caught', rather than the pill causing the problem, if you see what I mean. Anyways, it washed down just fine with lots of Water almost straight away, but as I said, that's the only incident I could think of that was out of the ordinary that I thought may have contributed to my eating/drinking difficulty.

Thought I'd go on liquids for a couple of days, see if it settled down. It didn't, and even drinking Water was resulting in a huge amount of noisy gurgling and burping and it was slow going down.

So off to my surgeon for barium swallow. He thought it sounded like band slipped, and removed all my fill (actually try as he might he could only get out 1cc? but didn't seem too concerned?) Result show it's fine - 'normally situated'. I was so relieved not to have to have more surgery. When he took the fill out I could drink fine, did liquids for 24hrs, then also ate fine for a day or two, but now having troubles again.

Not as bad as before, but I get intense gurgling/blocking/burping/discomfort when trying to eat some meals, even if it's a blended Soup. Then other meals it's as if there's no problem. These are all later in the day BTW, as I've gotten out of the habit of eating Breakfast since banded - usually just have Hot drinks.

I will go back to my surgeon, but wondering if anyone can shed any light in the meantime?

Sorry it's so long-winded but wanted to give all details as I'm really worried about this and want to be well informed when I go back to see my Dr.

Thanks

Dani

Dani, did you ever get your endoscopy done? Let us know how you're doing.

Hi Lizzie & thanks for your message. Same as you, endoscopy gave me no answers/clues, just a sore throat. Dr said all

looked normal, just that stoma was narrow for an empty band but could still fit the (approx 1cm) scope through.

He says it needs to come out, let things 'settle' and talk about rebanding or gastrectomy in a few months. I'm booked in for surgery to remove the band on Monday. Still going for second opinion today but doubt this will change anything. Such miserable news to get. It was going so very well, with only around 12 pounds til goal and being able to eat normal food for the first time in years instead of diet crap. Of course I'm determined not to go backwards, but we all know what led us to the rather drastic step of wls in the first place don't we?

How is your situation - any progress? Please let me know how you're going.

All the best

Dani

Gosh Dani, I hate that you might lose your band. I'm glad you're getting a second opinion. It never hurts, especially when it comes to your life/health.

Is your stoma narrow from the band being too tight? No chance of ever going back to normal?

I don't have any answers yet. I go back to talk with my doc tomorrow morning. Not sure where to go from here. The unfill helped me be able to eat some but did nothing for the pain and burning.

You're right about gaining weight back. We never intend to but we've all done it over and over and it's frightening to think it might happen again.

Let us know what happens with your second opinion.

Lizzie - it's good you were able to get some food in, but not good the pain's still with you.

The Dr I went to for a second opinion did not have any firm answers and also said the next step is surgery. He was slightly more confident about being able to fix any problems he might find (whereas the 1st one was not) but said the bottom line is that if he finds no problems removal will be the outcome, and so I must be prepared to wake up from the surgery without it.

He wasn't saying whether he thought the narrow stoma was a result of it being too tight in the first place. He said it looks like the band might be ever so slightly too high, and that could be due to a slight slip or slight misplacement, but either way it was marginal and the position could actually be just fine.

I decided to change Drs, just because I know this one has significantly more experience with revisions than my original Dr. And I'm having surgery tomorrow morning!

One thing this guy mentioned that I hadn't heard before was that a hiatus hernia won't necessarily be visible by endoscopy or contrast x-ray. Did your Dr already consider that?

What else did your Dr have to say?

Dani, I hope your new doctor finds something he can fix. I'm glad you went for the second opinion and feel comfortable with this doc. I can't believe you're having surgery so soon!

Speaking of hiatal hernias, my doctor informed me today that I have a small one. I didn't think to ask what test it showed up on. He also informed me that I have gallstones so my gallbladder will have to come out. He's going to fix my hernia at the same time.

I was surprised and kind of relieved. I was beginning to wonder if all this pain was in my head. I have training I have to go to for work so my surgery won't be until 10/23.

I will keep you in my thoughts. Make sure to come let us know how you're doing as soon as you feel up to it.

Hi Lizzie

I'm so glad you got some answers about the cause of your problems/pain. I really hope your band will be fine once the hernia and gallbladder are fixed - my fingers are crossed for you.

My band was removed on Friday. Dr said he could see no problems with it and therefore nothing to 'fix'. He is putting it down to esophageal dysmotility ("we don't test esophageal function before placing the band but if that function is already weak the added pressure of the band may be too much for it to be able to push the food down". Of course he didn't raise the possibility that the band CAUSED this esophageal dysmotility - I read about another lady on the boards with similiar problems whose gastroenterologist stated that the band caused these problems. I guess I will never know. I certainly never had any problems swallowing food pre-banding! I have been able to eat light meals without any problems thankfully, but still have reflux symptoms (which I never had in my life prior to a month ago). I hope they go away.

I am both devastated and a bit relieved to have it out of me. It must be worrying to be told "it's slipped" or "you have a hernia" - but at least one then knows there's a cause and clear course of action, but the lack of answers just made my anxiety levels go through the roof, and my faith in the Drs' knowledge and skills vanish.

I went into the process with my eyes open to the various complications, knowing that subsequent surgery to address an issue was a distinct possibility down the track, given the statistics. But I never imagined after the pain and expense that my band experience would ende up being more short-lived than some of the fad diets I've been on over the years (less than 4 months from insertion to removal)!!!

Sorry for the long vent!

I really hope all goes well with your repairs and that you can continue with your band. When is your surgery? Let me know how you get on.

Wishing you all the best

Dani