Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medical Alert wording

Can we not have NG tubes with the band?

NO NO NO!!!! NO NG tubes with the band....if they try to tube us it can go right through the pouch if they force it! My medical ID says

LAP BAND PATIENT

NO NG TUBE!!

Others will put their surgeons name and number on there i did not have room due to other medical issues I have on there.

Hope this helps! :(

What is the NG tube.. anything else like this we need to be aware of.

I did think about CPR, but then again, if you are in that situation.. it is probably the least of your problems..

Correct - if you need CPR you are basically "dead". If you survive with any kind of injury you are better off than if you don't.The Life over limb principle. E.g if someone tries to perform CPR and they break a rib they shouldn't stop - they should just check their hand position and carry on.

This may be contoversial in the US as the culture there especially with litigation is very different to here in Aus, but it is what we teach in first aid classes.I know I would rather be alive with a broken rib than dead because someone was too scared to carry on.

My medical alert charm says "Lap Band, No NG without scope"

If you have a proper Medic Alert (because I know in the US there is more than one company), you can put instructions to call the data centre before administering invasive procedures. That way you can update your health data more often without having to buy new bracelets. Plus you can put a whole lot more detail in the file as to who to call and what can and cannot be done. I've had many bracelets over the years now and they get expensive it you have to keep replacing. It's free to update your online data as many times as you want.

I personally won't be putting LapBand on my Bracelet because I have too many nosy people who attack me to try to figure out what's wrong with me. I don't really feel that the whole world needs to know.

NG tubes are most often put in for feeding purposes. In the case of dire emergency, the last thing they are going to do is feed you. By the time they get around to feeding you, it is likely that somebody will have arrived at the hospital to claim you and to provide information.

Is there a standard message about no nsg tubes that goes on a medic alert tag? What is the best way to word it?

If you really want to have lapband on your tag, the Medic Alert team will help you with the wording. It's part of the service. You speak to them on the phone and give an explanation of what you want your tag to say and then they will compose the message with the appropriate medical terminology on it.

When I worked in the trauma unit it was standard to drop an NG tube on trauma patients to evacuate the stomach prior to surgery. There are many reasons that you could have one, trauma, drug overdose, gi bleeding - not just for feeding ~ something to think about

I have a high risk of serious injury at work so good to know. I'll be updating my medic alert file anyway after surgery.

Are there medic alert charms that fit Lovelinks or Pandora bracelets?