Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did it hit you?

I was banded this last Wednesday, 23 September, and other than a little nausea that first day, it has not been a bad experience. I am still very sore and somewhat tired, but other than that, no big issues. However, I am having a hard time believing that I have a band inside of me. I can't see it and since I am so sore, I couldn't tell if it is the surgery or the band that is causing the discomfort. Believe me, I know that the doc put in the band, but my brain hasn't accepted it yet. When did you feel that "yep, it's there" feeling? I am so excited because I have been waiting for a while to get this done and I feel that I am finally at the point where the hard work can really begin, but I just haven't got the idea in my thoughts yet.

Elgrad

LOL that was exactly what I thought. I was on week 4 and I started solids and thought to myself "Did they do anything?" It was after my first fill that I knew I had a band. She is my very best friend!

Robyn

290/238/150

Surgery Date: 6/19/09

weight.png

I just had my first fill and that was the realization that the band is there and going to do something for me. After the surgery I felt the pain, the healing, but then I felt normal until my fill last Thursday. I felt like I could eat just about everything. It changed with my fill. I am definitely feeling a bit of restriction and I get full really quick and I now know that I need to adapt and make very conscious decisions about what I eat and how I eat. If I don't eat slowly I can tell. I need to now eat tiny bites and wait inbetween those bites. It will take time to adapt.

Best of luck to you.. soon you will know! :(

I felt that I had my band after the second fill and REALLY felt I had my band after getting a piece of food stuck. It was painful and horrible. Although it made me be extra careful when chewing.

I'm 10 months post op and down 107lbs and I still look in the mirror and see someone that weighs 302lbs. I wonder if our mind ever catches up with our body?

I could feel my port, so I knew in my head I had the band but still didn't really believe it. Well, last week I had my first fill of 4ccs and I went to Taco Bell for some refried Beans. Oh my gosh, that first bite was a killer! It hurt so bad.... I thought I was going to pass out right at the table. It finally passed but I now know I have the band and some restriction. I have to eat very slowly and take small bites. I wouldn't trade it for anything however.

Edited by LollyMoe
misspelling

Congratulations Elgrad, this has been a long time waiting for you. I have seen your name here and there and I know you are glad you finally did it.

As for knowing? I am over 4 months now, and I still can't believe I have a band. My eating habits have become a way of life. I know when I'm eating that I am taking smaller bites and chew forever (dentures here i come) but my head still hasn't wrapped itself around the idea that it's in there.

However, if I get stuck then I KNOW it's there.

Congratulations! For me, it was after I had my first decent fill that it really sunk in. And, it's been a love relationship ever since!

I am 11 months out and 14.4 pounds from my goal. I can't imagine any way that I could have done this without WLS and being committed to working the band.

BTW, if you haven't taken your measurements and before/after photos, be sure to do it! You'll really want to have them later on.

Best wishes,

Catherine

I had my surgery the beginning of June. I am reading these replies and my experience is completely the opposite. I could "feel" the band/tightness in my chest immediately after waking up in PACU. I did not expect it at all. A friend and I had surgery the same day, and she experienced the same thing.

I had really good restriction right after surgery. When I could eat foods, I could barely eat a frozen meatball and would get full!!

I have been banded for almost a month now. I don't know if I exactly feel restriction, but I do feel something. My port is very noticeable to me, but not to others. I do not get my first fill until the end of October, which is exactly eight weeks post-op. I have lost some weight, but not that much since the surgery. I am hungry, but I am afraid to eat too much because I am worried about stretching the pouch. Do I need to worry about that since I haven't had a fill yet? Just wondering....I know that this journey is different for everyone, and I really appreciate those of you that post your feelings and experiences online.:seeya:

I couldn't tell a difference until I had 2 or 3 fills....then I finally knew I had a lapband.

I am 100lbs down and at my weight goal, but it’s still kinda hard to believe. I felt the effects of the band right away as it seemed I had restriction right from the beginning, so that part was immediate. But “feeling” thin has taken a little more time to get used to.

I felt it when I woke up in PACU also. I remember waking up screaming at them to get it out of me because it hurt so bad. I don't notice it so much now I guess because I'm used to it being there.

Congratulations! For me, it was after I had my first decent fill that it really sunk in. And, it's been a love relationship ever since!

I am 11 months out and 14.4 pounds from my goal. I can't imagine any way that I could have done this without WLS and being committed to working the band.

BTW, if you haven't taken your measurements and before/after photos, be sure to do it! You'll really want to have them later on.

Best wishes,

Catherine

Thanks for that tip, your right and I just measured everything!

I know what you mean!!! The day I came home I started thinking..."I can't believe I have a band, I don't feel any different" you'll know your band is there the first time you eat solid food and it's not small enough or not chewed enough, then you'll feel that feeling that only we bandsters know! Other than that, no, you cannot feel band that is around your stomach..pretty amazing! Best of luck to you, I'm down 70ish pounds since last December!!