Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Someone tell me it was worth it

I had my band placed on 9/18. I have had pain in my shoulder since the surgery, and haven't been able to go a full day without the codeine, the over the counter just doesn't work to cover the pain.

My stomach hurts like someone has hooked up wires and is pulling them, maybe the stitches inside are tight, but I have glue on my belly so that can't be it.

When I swallow a small amount of my broth or Isopure I have pain until I force a burp when it almost feels like the liquid has passed, but the mild pain continues. and my shoulder and abdomen hurt when I burp, or hiccup.

I also had a hernia so he repaired that and I feel like I can't take a deep breath because of the muscle pain. When I do try I get the worst pains in my shoulder and abdomen.

I had less pain when I had my mastectomy in 2004, I remember I used the meds for only 3 days after.

Today my entire abdomen hurts and my belly is bloated, and it hurts on both shoulders like I am trying to lift a couch, that pulling pain, in addition to the "gas" pain.

I have lost alot of weight already since I did the pre-op shakes for almost 4 weeks instead of 2. Now being on the clears I am dropping about a lb a day still.

Please tell me that this is normal and I will feel better soon. I really hurt and usually am not a baby about pain, but this is not what I expected.

I am walking a 3 block radius 4 times a day which does help for a bit but then I am out of breath and can't take deep breaths.

I called the Dr yesterday to ask about Miralax because I have gone 5 days without a BM and they said use that but of course, one dose and now diarrhea. I just can't cut a break.

I'm sorry you're having so much pain, Peggie. I hope it eases up very soon.

I just wanted to tell you that although you have glue on your incisions, you probably have stitches that dissolve inside that you can't see. I didn't realize that I had them until one stitch popped out.

I also had the shoulder pain and bloating for many days. It is all the gas they put in me to move things out of the way. It went away eventually and I also had a rough start like you are. It was not anything serious just a lot of discomfort. I had my surgery on 12/13/08 and am down 75 lbs. Once I got off the bumpy road (gas, bloating, discomfort at port site, bruising, stitches opening, ect...) it was so worth it and I WOULD do over again even with what I went through for the first couple months after surgery. I would do it because now I am a totally different person and I love life. I wake up every day feeling so much better and my kids have noticed a huge difference in me. I still have a few minor holes in the road to get around but I feel unstoppable at this point. You will get there too. It took me 3 fills and several months before I really started losing the weight. Take it slow at first. It’s okay to go slow. My progress is slow compared to a lot of people but I am healthy and it’s going to stay off. I have slowly developed mew life styles and have NO regrets at all. Good luck and stay positive. I paid for my surgery out of pocket and started second guessing my decisions for the first month or so but I a glad I stuck with it.

WOW! You have just described EXACTLY how I felt for 7 days after my surgery! It was awful, plus, I couldn't get any sleep because I literally had to pee every 30 minutes... round the clock. I stopped the codeine after 3 days because it made the Constipation really bad... and wasn't doing a THING for the shoulder and neck pain which was worse than all the other pain.

I'll say this... it does get better. This week, I really feel like my old self. I'm eating mushies/softer solids now in very small quantities. Energy is up, no pain. Constipation is still an issue, but I'm working through it.

BTW- I also had a hernia repair during the Band placement. My surgeon said that it was a really common thing. But, maybe both procedures cause a bit more discomfort.

Good luck to you!

Edited by SlimDownDani
Added Hernia repair info.

Im sorry to here you are having such a hard go of it. Maybe having the band and hernia repair in one surgery was too much at once. I was pretty miserable for a while myself. The only comfort i can give you is that yes it does get better and yes for me its been 100% worth it. Im only 7 months post op, im already pretty much at my goal weight. Im off of my blood pressure and diabetic medications. I have way more energy than when i was heavy. The beginning month can be very trying but eventually things will get easier. Hoe you feel better soon and keep us posted with your progress. Good luck!!

Hi Mickey527,

I had my band placed on 9/18. I have had pain in my shoulder since the surgery, and haven't been able to go a full day without the codeine, the over the counter just doesn't work to cover the pain.

Go easy on yourself...you have had major surgery, despite the fact that it was laparoscopic (sp?). Give yourself a chance to heal...

My stomach hurts like someone has hooked up wires and is pulling them, maybe the stitches inside are tight, but I have glue on my belly so that can't be it.

Did they do any other repairs or were there any complications with your surgery?

When I swallow a small amount of my broth or Isopure I have pain until I force a burp when it almost feels like the liquid has passed, but the mild pain continues. and my shoulder and abdomen hurt when I burp, or hiccup.

You may be experiencing early 'restriction'...you are likely still swollen from the band placement...it will ease up...

I also had a hernia so he repaired that and I feel like I can't take a deep breath because of the muscle pain. When I do try I get the worst pains in my shoulder and abdomen.

I had less pain when I had my mastectomy in 2004, I remember I used the meds for only 3 days after.

Okay, that makes a bit more sense...maybe the hernia required more work than you previously thought...

Today my entire abdomen hurts and my belly is bloated, and it hurts on both shoulders like I am trying to lift a couch, that pulling pain, in addition to the "gas" pain.

I have lost alot of weight already since I did the pre-op shakes for almost 4 weeks instead of 2. Now being on the clears I am dropping about a lb a day still.

Your weight loss sounds good - I hope you are able to get your fluids in so you don't get dehydrated...

Please tell me that this is normal and I will feel better soon. I really hurt and usually am not a baby about pain, but this is not what I expected.

I am walking a 3 block radius 4 times a day which does help for a bit but then I am out of breath and can't take deep breaths.

Keep up the walking - you will feel better soon...praying for ya...

I called the Dr yesterday to ask about Miralax because I have gone 5 days without a BM and they said use that but of course, one dose and now diarrhea. I just can't cut a break.

I understand how you feel - I was banded Nov 08, and I'm now down 69 lbs. The real losses started in January, after I was completely recovered. I fought my band in the beginning, and was "rewarded" with slow weight loss. Since I started following the 'bandster rules', I am doing much better.

Couple of suggestions - if the Isopure Protein is too "thick" initially, Water it down a bit to help it go through. I love the Isopure, but I can imagine for a newly banded person with more restriction because of swelling, it might be a challenge.

Keep up your activity, but listen to your body - take it easy! I was told no serious physical activity for 6 weeks, and actually was a walker before, but eased up for a couple of weeks after surgery. If I'm calculating correctly, you are only about 10 days out...take it easy on yourself. There is plenty of time to ramp back up to your pre-surgery activity level.

You are on the road to a new and healthier life - just hang in there! It may feel more difficult right now, but everyday it will get better - keep telling yourself that.

If you notice severe symptoms, don't be afraid to CALL YOUR DOCTOR. Better to call them and be reassured that what you're feeling is "normal" than to let it go until it becomes a real problem.

Hang in there - and post again to let us know how you're doing...:thumbdown:

I'll chime in too. I was banded Sept. 14. I cannot yet say "it was worth it" but I can tell you "this too, shall pass." I did not start feeling human until late afternoon on the 20th. I didn't go back to work on the 21st like planned, but was so much better by the end of the 21st that I DID go back to work on the 22nd.

Now, I'm still very aware of the fact that I had surgery little more than a week ago. I still take it very carefully. I still don't want to bend over. I have had a couple nights where I got extreme pain that went away as soon as I got up out of bed. Fortunately, I have a motorized bed so I can raise the head. Otherwise I'd probably still be sleeping in the recliner.

I have been told, as you have here, that in time we will be able to say it was worth it. That may be true, only time will tell. I'm still not convinced I'll ever say that if I had the choice to do it over again that I would.

We're in the boat now though, so we gotta keep rowing for shore!

Prayers and blessings,

Hi! My mom also had to have a hernia repaired. When she had the surgery I was there and they told her that the bloating and pain in shoulder was from "gas". It did take her a little longer to heal. I hope you start feeling better soon! :mad:

SO WORTH IT!!! I have a very high tolerance for pain and it took me over a week to start feeling some what better. After a month I was almost back to normal, whatever that is :mad:. My doc told me not to worry about the scale, because the first month to six weeks is all about healing your body. I dont recall if you stated how much Protein you are taking in, but doc also said that the body needs the Protein to heal.If you are like I was, I couldnt care less if I "ate" or not. I had no appetite. But now that I am in my sixth month, all of that is a distant memory and reality is that I am 15 lbs to goal and wearing a size 6!!!! I was a size twenty before, so YES it is worth it!

hope this helps, keep smiling!

D

Hi there...I went through the exact same thing as you. Except, I spent 5 days in the hospital after surgery because I couldn't keep ANYTHING (even Water, no matter how small a sip) down. I know what you are describing, and it does go away. The pain after you swallow and the burping are normal. Call your doctor and see about having an unfill with your band. In my case one of the problems was that my surgeon partially filled my band during the procedure which made it impossible to swallow the smallest sips of Water without pain, burping, etc. I also had a hiatal hernia repair and know what you are experiencing. The pain from breathing can be really frustrating. Did they give you a spyrometer in the hospital? If they didn't, practice deep breathing every hour. Take huge deep breaths in (even if it's painful) and exhale slowly through your nose. Do this 5-10 times an hour..it helps to expand your diaphragm and move the gas out. The other thing is that your body is still swollen and inflamed from the procedure. It takes a good week or two for the swelling to go down. I'm on my 10th day out and today was the FIRST day that I actually feel somewhat normal with minimum discomfort.

I know what you're feeling. Try to get some rest, and stay ahead of the pain by taking the pain meds even if you aren't having pain. They are more effective if you take them before you're having pain. Trust me. If the codeine isn't working call and request liquid Lortab. Best of luck to you..you will get through it.