Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you pick your goal weight?

Personally, I chose a weight that is not as low as my lowest ever adult weight, but one that I felt good at and think I can maintain this time with the help of my band. My doctor has never mentioned a goal weight. Have others chosen that weight in consultation with their surgeon? Because it represents a specific number of pounds lost? Because it gets them to a specific BMI? Just curious.

I picked my goal weight and discussed it with my doctor. I chose a weight I felt I could maintain and one that was right for my height.

I just picked a number that I always wanted to get back to. It would be a BMI of 23 so it might possible. My surgeon never really said what I should weigh. They just leave it up to you. I guess if you were trying to get to small they maight say something.

I originally picked a goal weight of 160 just because it seemed like that would be good---now I am very very close to that goal and I realize that because I am 5'2---that just isn't going to work!! So I asked my Dr. and he said 130 would be great and 110 (GASP!!!) would be ideal. So I am aiming for 130 right now and then will have a Tummy Tuck which should bring me down a bit more....

im going for a 68 Kilo loss cause thats also how much I wanna Weight... But I will be happy with 80 Kilos and then aim for a lower weight slowly...

I think when you start out its hard to pick a goal weight because you dont know where you would be happy at.:biggrin:

A number of things. I got to 72 kg to get married and I knew that was Okish, although the top of my healthy weight range is 79kg. I felt huge at 79kg, I always weighed about that and was always the fat one in any group. that was a BMI of about 25. I hated it.

I knew I could improve on 72, it was OK but I wanted to be less than 70, so I said about 68. Which is where I am. In truth, I could still be 6kg lighter, it turns out I am not big boned at all, I'm actually meant to be quite slender.

My tickers says I'm 12kg below goal because I set 79 as the first goal, in truth I was always aiming for under 70.

My doc never said anythign about it. They dont discourage you from wanting a BMI of 20, that's still healthy and not too skinny. But I think I'd have to argue hard to get any more than a top up fill now, they'd probably tell me not to get obsessed with losing more.

My doctor never talked to me about a goal weight either, but then again, I didn't bring up the subject. They just asked me what my goal was, and other than that, we didn't discuss it.

I picked my goal based on a healthy BMI. It's about ten to fifteen pounds more than I weighed in college, but with my body build and my age, I think that would suit me.

Once I get to my goal, I might try for another five pounds, but I want to see how my face holds up. I getting to the age that tiny wrinkles are starting to appear, and I've seen people who've lost a lot of weight age ten years in their face, and I don't have ten years to spare (lol). Even though I have 25 pounds to lose, my husband thinks I look fantastic and I'm feeling great, so depending on how things go, that next 25 might be my where I decide to stop.

I picked a nice round number - down 100 lbs. even.

It won't really be enough, but I've decided to treat anything over that amount as gravy. To be honest, I never really expected to get to the 100 - and neither did my surgeon. I've already lost more than he expected me to.

I chose a weight where I was comfortable as a young adult. It may or may not be possible or necessary for me to reach that weight. When I was in my 20s, I didn't exercise much but I managed to be relatively thin for a few years, anyway. This time around I expect to be more active and may find myself happy, healthy and a good size and shape at 150 or so. That would be fine. We'll see when I get there! :tongue2:

I had weight issues in HS, dieted on Atkins, hit 128, stress hit, I started eating, I got heavy again. Then it yo-yo'd after that until the band. But I remember how GREAT I felt at 130. So that's the lb goal I'm aiming for. But honestly - I just want to be at least a size 8...on the low end of an 8. With the amount of working out I'm doing lately, gaining muscle, who knows - I may not BE exactly 130 and I don't really care. My size is what matters. :thumbdown:

My surgeon never asked me what my goal was and I never brought up. He never set one for me, either.

I chose at weight I had been at for years as a young adult. I felt good at that weight and my doc and dietician both agreed it would be a good goal. I would love to weigh about 10 lbs less, but know that is really unrealistic for me to maintain, so am hanging right around 145 lbs. I'm 5"7" so thats about right and a size 10/12 for me.

The dietician I met with asked my what my lowest weight had been as an adult. I told her 170. After we discussed it, we set my goal at 170, which would be a touch over 100 lbs for me to loose.

Now, my dream goal would be 130-140 range.

Since I am beginning this journey, we will have to wait to see where I end up.

I'm 5"4' so I chose 140 as my goal weight. Initially I chose 125 as my goal weight but I changed it. When I get to 140 lbs I will decide if I feel good at that weight. If not I'll change it depending upon how I feel. I got a ways to go yet so I have a long time to change my mind.

I chose a goal weight of 150 lbs. About 6 years ago, I was able to get down to 164 lbs and felt like if I lost 10-15 more lbs. I would have been great. It also is right in the middle of what is considered normal BMI for my height of 5'7". That would put me into a comfortable size 10, maybe an 8 with any luck.

Honestly though, if I was able to get down to 164 again, I'd be really happy.

Having started at a size 24W, I thought that a goal of size 14 would be perfect. It seemed unattainable at the time. However, I'm down 100 lb and am size 14 and I'm still not done with the weight loss. Maybe I should be a bit more organized about it, but I'm just going with the flow and seeing where I stop.

I've not been a size 14 since I was 11 years old, so I'm pretty happy with my current situation. But I still keep loosing slowly, so I'm just excited to see where I end up.